Menu

We've used Potter's School for French with Madame S very happily this year. Someone from this list suggested this teacher and it's been highly successful. I'm THRILLED, HAPPY, ECSTATIC not to be teaching French to a child.:hurray:

So, now, I'm wondering what other Potter's School courses have been done by people on the list and what your opinion of the course was.

Chime in and maybe we can get a good list together of highly quality Potter's School courses!

We've used Potter's School for French with Madame S very happily this year. Someone from this list suggested this teacher and it's been highly successful. I'm THRILLED, HAPPY, ECSTATIC not to be teaching French to a child.:hurray:

So, now, I'm wondering what other Potter's School courses have been done by people on the list and what your opinion of the course was.

Chime in and maybe we can get a good list together of highly quality Potter's School courses!

Thanks for starting this post! I would love hear English I teacher recommendations. This will be our first internet class.

Thanks for starting this post! I would love hear English I teacher recommendations. This will be our first internet class.

This is our, hmm, fourth year using (some) Potter's classes. We've liked all our English teachers -- and they've all been quite different. My kids had Mrs Ives for Writer's Workshop, Mrs Neuman for English 1, Miss Shearon for English 2, and currently Mrs Richards for English 3/Narnia. I think some of these teachers have moved up the "food chain" as they gain experience -- for example, I see Mrs Neuman teaching upper-level composition and lit this year. But we can highly recommend each of these ladies!

We loved Mr Gray also. He teaches (or taught) Computer Science, Logic, Math, and maybe something else. Fun teacher & a great guy. He didn't always answer my emails right away -- but then when I had a question about which upper-level CS class my son should take he *called* me at home and chatted for over an hour about computer science and math in general, Potter's School and my son's needs in particular, etc. So helpful!

If I think of any other teachers we've had that we've liked, I'll edit this post. Dashing off for now ...

~Laura

I'm looking at Hermeneutics with Kauk or Theology Matters with Gilbert or the Worldview courses. My son would get a major kick out of any of these.

He NEEDS an advanced composition course, so I'm glad to hear good recommendations for some of the English courses.

My DS is in her French I class too thanks to the recommendations from several WTM moms. I too am thrilled to not be teaching French but I am even more thrilled that my DS is learning French, enjoying French and wants to continue with French II next year. :hurray:

DS did sign up for the extra conversation class and that has been quite helpful too.

THANK YOU to all who recommended Madame S.

Carole

My dd has taken both of the Computer Assisted Design and Drafting courses from Mr. Middleton. He is excellent and probably inspired her to go into engineering.

She is currently taking Aviation Science with Mr. Forsyth and loves this course too. The teacher is passionate, an excellent teacher and really cares that the kids are learning, while not being overburdened.

My dd has taken both of the Computer Assisted Design and Drafting courses from Mr. Middleton. He is excellent and probably inspired her to go into engineering.

She is currently taking Aviation Science with Mr. Forsyth and loves this course too. The teacher is passionate, an excellent teacher and really cares that the kids are learning, while not being overburdened.

Oh yes, how could I forget Mr Forsyth?! My son had to drop his class because of a conflict, but Mr Forsyth said he would answer any questions my son has about the textbook, and true to his word, he answers all of our emails quickly and enthusiastically, volunteering helpful information about all sorts of stuff -- Civil Air Patrol, Jr ROTC, getting admitted to the Air Force Academy (which my son suddenly decided he'd like to do) -- and all this for someone who had to drop his class! :001_smile: Wow.

And friends of ours loved Mr Middleton for CAD.

This is her first year teaching with TPS, and because she had a death in the family, there were some delays early in the years with grading. But, all-in-all, we've been pleased with the class. It's been somewhat challenging but in a good way.

Last year he took the Logo to Lego class with Mr. Gray. It was a good intro to programing and to TPS as well. We got a feel for how online classes worked and how TPS worked specifically.

We tried Algebra at the beginning of the year, but it was a tremendous bomb. Both DS and I hated the Chicago math text. He dropped the classes very early on because neither he nor I wanted to struggle with the text all year. This was really my bad; I should have reviewed the text more completely prior to signing him up for the class.

I would caution against taking too many classes at once. I don't think my ds could handle too many days with 90 minutes classes in front of the PC.

I'm looking at Hermeneutics with Kauk or Theology Matters with Gilbert or the Worldview courses. My son would get a major kick out of any of these.

He NEEDS an advanced composition course, so I'm glad to hear good recommendations for some of the English courses.

My dd has done both of the ones you mention first. She didn't like Mr. Kauk's teaching style but liked the text and material for hermeneutics. She liked Mr. Gilbert a lot and had hoped to take another class with him this year (I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the class now) but they had such a response to the class that they had to limit it to seniors only, so she didn't get to take it.

We have taken classes from TPS for the past 5? years. My dss have had Sen. Alfaro for Spanish I and she is excellent! We had a terrible experience with Spanish II with another teacher, but he is not teaching with TPS anymore. We have had Mrs. Crosby for a Trig class and she was also very good. One ds has had Mr. Conner for Python and really liked him. the same ds is planning on taking CADD with Mr. Middleton and just "met" him last night at an open house. He is very excited about that.

I feel like each of these teachers were very organized and good about handling an online class. They communicated well with parents and made their expectations clear to the student. I think TPs is a great option and I love that I don't have to drive anywhere!!:001_smile:

My dd has done both of the ones you mention first. She didn't like Mr. Kauk's teaching style but liked the text and material for hermeneutics. She liked Mr. Gilbert a lot and had hoped to take another class with him this year (I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the class now) but they had such a response to the class that they had to limit it to seniors only, so she didn't get to take it.

That's great to hear that Mr. Gilbert was good. My son would probably overlook a so-so teacher for the content in a hermeneutics class, too. Thanks for the input.

One ds has had Mr. Conner for Python and really liked him.

Mr Connor is awesome. My son had him for HTML and Python.

I feel like each of these teachers were very organized and good about handling an online class. They communicated well with parents and made their expectations clear to the student. I think TPs is a great option and I love that I don't have to drive anywhere!!:001_smile:

:iagree:

I especially appreciate how *every* teacher we've had, and I guess we've had at least 7 by now, has always started -- and ended -- class on time.

Our only negative experience was with two biology teachers -- my kids and a friend had one, and my kids' friends had another one -- who left us underwhelmed. Not bad ... just weak, I guess. One teacher literally read from the textbook for the entire 90-minute lecture each week. For my "normal" son that was actually not a bad review; for my son with a virtually photographic memory it was mind-numbing, and I finally relented and let him do other stuff during class. The other teacher was engaging and funny during the lecture, but - our friends told us - gave multiple-choice exams, which left these kids underprepared for the biology SAT2 subject test (they did not get a good score; my son and the friend in his class did). At least our teacher gave tests with a lot of short-answer questions, which took much longer to grade (a week or two, instead of instant feedback), but made my kids think.

I see they are both teaching biology this year also, so pm me if you'd like their names. I do not regret having my kids take that biology class at all; it just could have been better. I don't want to post negative comments here, and also teachers do improve! For example, my son had web design with Mr Connor the first year he taught, and he grossly overestimated how quickly the kids could work through a college text! He soon scaled back, and everyone was much happier :001_smile:

~Laura

P.S. We also know kids who took geography at Potter's, and the teacher is Mrs Runkle herself! They loved the class. There is a junior high class and a senior high one. (The thread about Runkle reminded me about these classes!)

Edited by Laura in CA
added Runkle!

Mr Connor is awesome. My son had him for HTML and Python.

:iagree:

I especially appreciate how *every* teacher we've had, and I guess we've had at least 7 by now, has always started -- and ended -- class on time.

Our only negative experience was with two biology teachers -- my kids and a friend had one, and my kids' friends had another one -- who left us underwhelmed. Not bad ... just weak, I guess. One teacher literally read from the textbook for the entire 90-minute lecture each week. For my "normal" son that was actually not a bad review; for my son with a virtually photographic memory it was mind-numbing, and I finally relented and let him do other stuff during class. The other teacher was engaging and funny during the lecture, but - our friends told us - gave multiple-choice exams, which left these kids underprepared for the biology SAT2 subject test (they did not get a good score; my son and the friend in his class did). At least our teacher gave tests with a lot of short-answer questions, which took much longer to grade (a week or two, instead of instant feedback), but made my kids think.

I see they are both teaching biology this year also, so pm me if you'd like their names. I do not regret having my kids take that biology class at all; it just could have been better. I don't want to post negative comments here, and also teachers do improve! For example, my son had web design with Mr Connor the first year he taught, and he grossly overestimated how quickly the kids could work through a college text! He soon scaled back, and everyone was much happier :001_smile:

~Laura

P.S. We also know kids who took geography at Potter's, and the teacher is Mrs Runkle herself! They loved the class. There is a junior high class and a senior high one. (The thread about Runkle reminded me about these classes!)

Did they use Apologia biology? I have one kid who is interested in science and will need to use something more than Apologia, probably? I'm PM you for the names....

Did they use Apologia biology? I have one kid who is interested in science and will need to use something more than Apologia, probably? I'm PM you for the names....

Yes, according to their course descriptions, all of their core science classes (regular & advanced bio, chem, phys, and marine bio) use Apologia texts. Jay Wile used to oversee their science classes.

Same here -- Apologia was not a good fit for my kids (too chatty, too much text, etc.). My boys are using Spectrum and Holt this year for chemistry and are quite happy.

Haven't read all of the replies yet...:)

My dd is in her third year of French with Madame and absolutely loves it and loves her! I do think the cultural events are a bit silly but dd doesn't seem to mind them.

We've taken a lot of their classes:

Latin I-IV with Mr. Spotts-My son has done very well in these and generally likes Mr. Spotts. He's learned enough to get a 670 on the SAT2 test after Latin III. I did have an issue with Mr. Spotts during Latin II over a compute hiccup that affected my ds's grade and Mr. Spotts would not budge. In fact, the director got involved and basically told us to drop the class.:001_huh: It ended up blowing over but they still would not budge on the grade even though I personally witnessed my son turning in the assignment on time through The Study Place.

English Classes:

English 1 with Mrs. Neuman-It was an OK class. Mrs. Neuman is a particularly picky grader and she does not grade work in a timely manner. I know she teaches a lot of classes but the kids really need their work returned more quickly.

English 2 with Miss Shearon-My dd is taking this class right now and really loves Miss Shearon. The only issue she's had is that, on occasion, assignment expectations have not been laid out clearly enough and she ends up getting marked down on requirements she didn't even know existed. English 2 is heavy on writing which my dd loves.

Advanced Composition with Miss Corrin-My ds took this in 10th grade. He says this was one of his most profitable classes through TPS and Miss Corrin was one on his best teachers.

Sci Fi Literature with Mrs. Neuman-Same complaints as above with Mrs. Neuman. There were occasions where she didn't even return assignments before a test on the material. That's not helpful.;) My son did like the content of the class.

Writing a Research Paper with Mrs. Zylstra-Good class; good teacher. My son turned out a nice paper at the end.

Research Methods and Web Publications with Mr. Stevens-Interesting class but Mr. Stevens was way to lenient when my son took the class. He would accept work way past the due date without a parent requested extension and give full credit. Not helpful for my procrastinator.;)

Con't...

Science classes:

Biology with Mr. Rosenoff-TPS uses Apologia. This was a good class. I won't comment on the teacher since he's no longer with TPS.

Chemistry with Mr. Hughes-same comments as above.

Physics with Dr. Myrick-Apologia again. My son really liked Dr. Myrick and found him a good teacher.

Anatomy and Physiology with Mrs. Wheeler-Hard class! This is the class my son had to put the most study time into. It was great, though. Very complete! Mrs. Wheeler's not longer teaching this class.

Physical Science with Mrs. Arney-My dd is taking this class currently and doesn't like it.:) She doesn't like science though. She says that Mrs. Arney basically just reads the textbook which is not helpful. She doesn't feel like she expands on the subjects at all. She says she would not take Mrs. Arney again.

Social Sciences:

US History with Mr. Futuran-My son liked Mr. Futuran and learned a lot in this class. It used an AP history textbook.

Government with Mr. Pratt-Decent class that used the teacher's own book.

Economics with Mr. Rucker-Mr. Rucker is extremely particular.;) You must produce a notebook that you snail mail to him. He seems more concerned with format than content. Drove me crazy.:lol:

Others:

HTML with Mr. Madison-This was our very first class with TPS. It was 5 or 6 years ago so I don't remember much but do know that my son learned a lot and really liked Mr. Madison.

I think that's it. If I remember any more, I'll post them.:)

Advanced Composition with Miss Corrin-My ds took this in 10th grade. He says this was one of his most profitable classes through TPS and Miss Corrin was one on his best teachers.

Ronette,

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough response. I've heard positive reviews of Advanced Composition with Nikki Troxell for years. It's good to know that as they have expanded the sections for that popular class that at least one other teacher is recommended.

:hurray:

Ronette,

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough response. I've heard positive reviews of Advanced Composition with Nikki Troxell for years. It's good to know that as they have expanded the sections for that popular class that at least one other teacher is recommended.

:hurray:

Same here -- thanks, Ronette! A friend and I are planning to sign our sons up for the same section of Adv Comp next year, and (assuming both Mrs Troxell and Miss Corrin are teaching next year) knowing that both of them are recommended gives us a lot of choices! ... we are limited already in which classes we can take, since we are in the Pacific time zone and can't manage classes at 5 a.m. or 6:45 a.m. our time :D).

We thought Mrs Neuman was great (and even met her when we vacationed in Arizona) -- good & quick feedback, really cared about the kids individually, fought w/admin for friends of ours to be able to skip Engl. 2), but I wonder if she is busier these days, with more classes and (I think) a baby ... ?

~Laura

Thanks for sharing your experience, everyone!

My dd has Physical Science with Mrs. Arney right now and really likes her and the class! I'll ask her more about it tomorrow.

She really likes Mrs. Crosby for Algebra (and wants to have her for Geometry next year), even though dd isn't a huge fan of math in general. She also loves Mrs. Tittel for English 2 and Mr. Gray for Logic.

Ds has Writer's Workshop with Ms. Corrin, and we both really like her too.

I asked my dd for details about Mrs. Arney's Physical Science and this is what she said. Mrs. Arney prepares a presentation of notes to use in discussing the chapters in class, and she takes them to relevant websites for examples, pictures, videos, etc. to further illustrate and explain the material she is covering each time.

There are 5 lab reports that are submitted for grades (and the others are required to be completed at home, with the count submitted by a parent). They turned in a draft copy for the first report at the beginning of the year, and she added detailed comments on each section on how to improve it for the final copy. I was surprised by the high standards and extra research required for the lab reports! She continues to give detailed comments on each lab report (final copies only after the 1st one), so the students can continue to improve.

Also, she doesn't use the Apologia tests -- hers are part essay.

I've noticed that at least some of the TPS science class descriptions say that they start with the Apologia text, such as this one from Biology:

HS - Biology

We are pleased to offer this high school Biology course with lab that starts with Apologia’s Exploring Creation with Biology text and enhances it with additional material and activities to give students a college-preparatory level course that will prepare them for success in upper-level science courses later in high school and beyond. ....

This is great to hear! My son is planning to take the Aviation Science next year. Do you think the class is enough to cover science for 10th grade? He's taken Biology this year (not at TPS).

He has also considered the CADD classes, but I think he's leaning more toward a computer programming class right now.

Thanks for sharing your experience, everyone!

My dd has Physical Science with Mrs. Arney right now and really likes her and the class! I'll ask her more about it tomorrow.

She really likes Mrs. Crosby for Algebra (and wants to have her for Geometry next year), even though dd isn't a huge fan of math in general. She also loves Mrs. Tittel for English 2 and Mr. Gray for Logic.

Ds has Writer's Workshop with Ms. Corrin, and we both really like her too.

Hi Profmom -

How is the Logic class? I am looking into that for my rising 8th grade son. What is the workload like?

Could you also tell me about the parents' role for Writer's Workshop? I'm looking into that class for my rising 6th grader. I am worried that it will be too much work for me, but he loves to write and I think he would benefit from the class.

Thanks!

My son is planning to take the Aviation Science next year. Do you think the class is enough to cover science for 10th grade?

Definitely enough to cover a science credit, IMO. It is heavy on physics covering thrust, lift, load, drag, effects of gravity and effects of pressure on altitude. It also covers some meteorology.

Dd did also caution that you check with the colleges that he'll be attending to see if they consider it a science vs and elective. She thinks most colleges would classify it as an elective, which won't matter if he already has 3 other science courses.

We tried Algebra at the beginning of the year, but it was a tremendous bomb. Both DS and I hated the Chicago math text. He dropped the classes very early on because neither he nor I wanted to struggle with the text all year. This was really my bad; I should have reviewed the text more completely prior to signing him up for the class.

QUOTE]

We didn't care for the Chicago Math either.

Definitely enough to cover a science credit, IMO. It is heavy on physics covering thrust, lift, load, drag, effects of gravity and effects of pressure on altitude. It also covers some meteorology.

Dd did also caution that you check with the colleges that he'll be attending to see if they consider it a science vs and elective. She thinks most colleges would classify it as an elective, which won't matter if he already has 3 other science courses.

I was planning to count Aviation Science as an elective, but I was SO excited about the course and everything my son would learn (unfortunately he had to drop the class because of a scheduling conflict) ... and my husband was even planning to sit in on the class (with Mr Forsyth's blessing!). As mentioned above, the book covers the physics of flight and meteorology, and I also saw, flipping through the book, discussion of turbulence around buildings and mountains, how human vision works (and visual illusions, the effect of darkness, fatigue, etc.), how engines, brakes, etc. work, effect of the earth's magnetic field, etc., etc. AND my son would have been interested and engaged because it was all so relevant to practical things he is obsessed with (airplanes) :D, unlike a straight science class like biology or chemistry ... I don't know how much of the book would have been covered in class, but it all looked so interesting! And a great way to tie together so much science and engineering.

An aside: Mr Forsyth is wonderful! Even though my son had to drop the class, Mr F offered to answer any questions he had if he worked through the book on his own. My son has yet to do that, but he did have questions about applying to the Air Force Academy, and Mr F has been *so* helpful! :001_smile:

I anticipate he will have three other science classes, so we should be fine with that. Thanks for the information and advice.

Hi Profmom -

How is the Logic class? I am looking into that for my rising 8th grade son. What is the workload like?

Could you also tell me about the parents' role for Writer's Workshop? I'm looking into that class for my rising 6th grader. I am worried that it will be too much work for me, but he loves to write and I think he would benefit from the class.

Thanks!

Sure, Sandra!

My dd (8th grade) loves Mr. Gray for Logic! The workload hasn't been as heavy as her other TPS classes, such as English 2 or Algebra. Work in the logic books (both Introductory & Intermediate) continues most of the time and then the workload is heavier when they are also reading or researching for the apologetics portion. The books for apologetics are More Than a Carpenter and Mere Christianity, and they've done a couple of debates (1/2 the class against the other) on topics like the existence of hell and the infallibility of scripture. My dd loves it! A significant portion of the grade is based on class participation in discussions. This last week, dd was assigned reading chapters 1-5 of Mere Christianity and a 250 word essay on what she learned from it (as a way of preparing for class discussion). As I look at the grades just now, I see that there are also unit quizzes on logic, and quizzes on the two books.

For Writer's Workshop, attending class with the student all first semester was a little hard, but it was nice because I always knew what was going on! The workload was just right -- steady work on writing, with a goal of spending 30-45 minutes a day on writing during the week. Teacher comments on the papers were very encouraging, while also giving helpful input. Every week, we are given an agenda with a suggested schedule for the week's writing, and parents are given guides for commenting and working with our kids with most, if not all, papers. We have found it to be a very worthwhile class! :-)

If you haven't taken any other TPS English classes, we found a bit of a learning curve for the process each paper goes through (stages of drafts, comments from others, self-editing, and, for WW, comments from you for your child at one step in the process) and how and when to submit papers and in the correct format. However, it didn't take very long before it was pretty much second nature. Also, part way through the first semester, the kids start commenting on a partner's paper (and receiving comments). At that point, you will also need to work with your child to come up with 3 praises and 3 ESP (encouraging, specific, and polite) suggestions or questions for another child's paper. The hardest part about this is remembering to do it, but it's not too time-consuming.

I hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Ds and I are taking Java from Mr Yonts this year. He is organized, friendly, caring. The class is not overly time consuming. He grades all the assignments (no tests either) and provides helpful feedback. He answers all emails thoroughly and promptly. :thumbup1:

I signed my DS up for his class for next year. Thank you for the input. :)

Carole