Menu

Human Odyssey (K12) and The World in Ancient Times schedule

The following information is copied from my blog. I will be adding the additional resources we used this year to the page on my blog only so that this post doesn't get too messy.

The main text:

The Human Odyssey Vol. 1: Prehistory Through the Middle Ages

edited by Mary Beth Klee, John Cribb, and John Holden

K12 Inc. publisher

ISBN 9781931728539

seen here on Amazon

The supporting texts:

The World in Ancient Times series by Oxford University Press

the entire set here on Amazon

The Ancient Near Eastern World here

The Ancient Egyptian World here

The Ancient South Asian World here

The Ancient Chinese World here

The Ancient Greek World here

The Ancient Roman World here

The Medieval and Early Modern World series by Oxford University Press

full set seen here (not all volumes are used this year)

The European World 400-1450 here

The African and Middle Eastern World 600-1500 here

The Asian World 600-1500 here

An Age of Empires 1200-1750 here

This schedule is intended for a full year's history study by a middle grade or logic stage student. The additions of book or other resources would enrich the material but are not necessary.

Human Odyssey chapters are listed first with each chapter's title. Underneath each is a listing of the corresponding Oxford University Press volume(s) in purple. Please note that some chapters are listed out of numerical order. Instead they are listed as the material is covered within the Human Odyssey chapters.

Part 1

Chapter 1: How Civilized! From Hunters-Gatherers to City-Builders

Chapter 2: Unearthing Sumer

The Ancient Near Eastern World Chapters 1-3

Chapter 3: Working, Trading, and Building in Sumer

The Ancient Near Eastern World Chapters 12,13,15

Chapter 4: Honoring the Gods: Religion in Ancient Sumer

The Ancient Near Eastern World Chapters 5,6,9

Chapter 5: Passing It On: The Written Word in Ancient Sumer

The Ancient Near Eastern World Chapters 4,14,11,7

Chapter 6: The Sun Sets on Sumer

The Ancient Near Eastern World Chapter 8,10

Chapter 7: Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon

The Ancient Near Eastern World Chapter 22

Chapter 8: The Spread of Civilization: Egypt

The Ancient Egyptian World Chapters 1,5,2,3,8,10,7,6,4,9,12,14,17,21,11

Chapter 9: Three Pharohs of the New Kingdom

The Ancient Egyptian World Chapters 13-15, 18, 16

Chapter 10: The Spread of Civilization: India and China

The Ancient South Asian World Chapters 1-10

The Ancient Chinese World Chapters 1-5 (through the Shang dynasty)

Part 2

Chapter 1: The Life and Ideas of Confucius

The Ancient Chinese World Chapter 10

Chapter 2: The Confucian Legacy

The Ancient Chinese World Chapters 13-14

Chapter 3: The Birth of Hinduism

The Ancient South Asian World Chapters 10 (the later part),11,13

Chapter 4: The Life of the Buddha

The Ancient South Asian World Chapter 14

Chapter 5: The Buddha's Teaching and Legacy

The Ancient South Asian World Chapter 18

Chapter 6: A Chosen People

The Ancient Near Eastern World Chapters 18-20

Chapter 7: The People of the Law

The Ancient Near Eastern World Chapters 20-22

Chapter 8: The Greeks and Their View of Nature

The Ancient Greek World Chapters 3,4,1,2,17

Chapter 9: The Greek Celebration of Man

The Ancient Greek World Chapters 5,6,18,19,7

Part 3

Chapter 1: Two Greek City-States

The Ancient Greek World Chapters 12,8 plus 9-11,21

Chapter 2: Defending Greece: The Persian Wars

The Ancient Greek World Chapter 13

Chapter 3: The Age of Pericles

The Ancient Greek World Chapters 14,19,20

Chapter 4: A Fall, a Rise, and a Final Burst of Glory

The Ancient Greek World Chapters 16,22-26

Chapter 5: The Roman Republic

The Ancient Roman World Chapters 1-4

Chapter 6: Rome Rising and the Republic Challenged

The Ancient Roman World Chapters 6,5,7,15

Chapter 7: Days of Empire

The Ancient Roman World Chapters 11,13,20,8,18,10

Chapter 8: Judea and the Rise of Christianity

The Ancient Roman World Chapter 23-24

Chapter 9: The Spread of Christianity

The Ancient Roman World Chapter 24

Chapter 10: Rome on the Wane

The Ancient Roman World Chapters 24,14,25-26

Part 4

Chapter 1: Rome Moved East: The Byzantine Empire

The European World Chapters 1(to p.28),3(pp.46-49)

Chapter 2: The Rise of Islam

The African and Middle Eastern World Chapters 1-2

Chapter 3: The Spread of Islam

The African and Middle Eastern World Chapters 3,5,7

Chapter 4: Ghana and Mali: Two Medieval African Trading Empires

The African and Middle Eastern World Chapter 9-10

Chapter 5: Europe's Early Middle Ages

The European World Chapter 2-3

Chapter 6: Thunder from the North: The Viking Age

The European World Chapter 4

Chapter 7: Of Land and Loyalty

The European World Chapters 4,7(pp. 106-110

Chapter 8: An Age of Faith: The Church in Western Europe

The European World Chapter 6

Chapter 9: Monarchs on the Rise

The European World Chapters 5,8,7

Chapter 10: China in the Middle Ages

The Asian World Chapters 2,6,4(silk road)

Chapter 11: Mongols on the Move

The Asian World Chapters 7,4

Chapter 12: Europe's Calamitous Fourteenth Century

The European World Chapters 11,12

An Age of Voyages Chapter 1

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, can I ask if this schedule could be easily adaptable to use with History Odyssey Vol 2 Middle Ages scheduling? I know people HAVE used the K12 Human Odyssey, but I wondered if that was something you were planning on doing by chance?

No, I haven't used the History Odyssey level 2 Middle Ages. Originally I was going to use both HOs (hehe) together but switched to the Oxford volumes as they are available at my library.

I think it would be pretty simple to match up the HOs. I matched up the Oxford Press books and K12 Human Odyssey over a week or so during the summer. Having the uninterrupted time and the space to spread out made that possible. I plan on going through Human Odyssey Vol. 2 in the same way this summer.

Matching up the other books and resources took a LOT longer :tongue_smilie:

Any more questions, please ask :001_smile:

Thanks for that info Luckymama. So, are you creating your own schedule with mapwork, timeline, activities, other books to read & write about? It sounds so daunting to me, and I guess that is why I thought to use History Odyssey Level 2 with it. I guess, ultimately, my question is how are you using them? Both Human Odyssey and the Oxford series look wonderful... do they include questions and activities within the books?

That's what I am trying to figure out.. Thanks Capt. Uhura. Now I just have to decide if History Odyssey lays things out in a way that is helpful to me... I am 'thinking' they do and that is why I want to use them, although I may be overdoing it with all the additional resources. My dd likes to read, so she will enjoy the reading assignments within History Odyssey.

Thanks for that info Luckymama. So, are you creating your own schedule with mapwork, timeline, activities, other books to read & write about? It sounds so daunting to me, and I guess that is why I thought to use History Odyssey Level 2 with it. I guess, ultimately, my question is how are you using them? Both Human Odyssey and the Oxford series look wonderful... do they include questions and activities within the books?

I've only used a few of the activities/assignments from the Human Odyssey student pages. Dd and I mainly discuss every section read from that text and all the other books. Since I read everything ahead of time (usually the week before), I have a good idea of where and how to lead the discussion.

I don't follow the WTM way of doing history, probably because I was jumping into homeschooling with an older elementary student who is an "only" for schooling purposes. We have the luxury of extended discussion time that those teaching multiple children don't always have.

We stopped doing a timeline right at the start of the year. Dd didn't enjoy doing it. Human Odyssey contains really detailed timelines for each part of the text, so we focus on those instead of creating our own.

Mapwork is important to me. Dd learns about the physical geography, the historic political geography and the current political geography of the area in study. Sometimes that all fits on one map, sometimes not.

I give dd a few topics, either from the Human Odyssey student pages or topics I devise, for writing each week and she chooses whichever she prefers. Sometimes she'll write just a paragraph, sometimes she'll write several pages. I'm not strict with the length. Next year I will be.

SaDonna, I have to run a child to an activity, but quickly, I will tell you that it is easier to line up History Odyssey Middle Ages with the Oxford Medieval to Early Modern series than it is to line up History Odyssey with K12 Human Odyssey. I've used all of them together, but sometimes I feel as though the flow is awkward. HOMA and Oxford are divided more along geographical lines at least to begin with.

Capt. Uhura, I would love to see it if that's possible. I have almost finished lining up all three K12 volumes with the 4 HO Level 2 eras. There are a couple parts that have rather ruffled me and I am not sure that I have the best line up. We've finished the first volume and I am reading and coordinating as a I go.

Luckymama, and anyone else who might also have a schedule, I would really appreciate a version of HO Vol 2 lined up with the Medieval and Early Modern World series. All my curriculum won't arrive until about 1 week before we are scheduled to start school in August, so I rarely have time to plan unless all the information is in front of me. Last year I was happy just to get some of the items before school actually started. (We use a virtual academy, and they place the orders late in the summer .. hopefully this year it will work out better though!)

Luckymama, and anyone else who might also have a schedule, I would really appreciate a version of HO Vol 2 lined up with the Medieval and Early Modern World series. All my curriculum won't arrive until about 1 week before we are scheduled to start school in August, so I rarely have time to plan unless all the information is in front of me. Last year I was happy just to get some of the items before school actually started. (We use a virtual academy, and they place the orders late in the summer .. hopefully this year it will work out better though!)

I was planning on working up a schedule during Easter break :001_smile: I'll let everyone know when it's done!

Thank you for sharing. The amount of energy involved with just researching and choosing curriculum is astonishing to me. I rarely make 'quick' decisions. LOL. I truly appreciate you being willing to share something that would take me endless hours to figure out during a time of year that I wouldn't have it to give. ;-)

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh my.....this thread brings back such memories! So many good friends! I"m planning history for my now 6th grader. We've had a very rough 3years with my oldest being chronically ill and myself being diagnosed w/ autoimmune disease and my husband being treated for thyroid cancer, so I haven't been on here much. It's so nice to see so many familiar names!!! 

So I'm mapping out Early Modern for my 6th grader and there are just too many good choices!

Capt_Uhura (Aka Sybil)