Menu

Roanoke College - homeschool friendly?

mooooom

I had my son email all the colleges he was interested in that did not mention homeschoolers to ask if they had special requirements for homeschoolers.

We got this back from Roanoke:

"The answer to your initial question is simple. There are no special requirements for homeschooled applicants that do not apply to our general applicant pool. We require a high school transcript from and accredited institution/organization and standardized test scores (SAT or ACT). Everything else (i.e. essay, letters of recommendation, etc.), while very helpful to us in determining “fitâ€, is optional (but recommended)."

My son will not have a transcipt from anything accredited (he will have several classes that he took outside of the home, but his transcript will be mom-made. How do we respond to this?

Thanks

As I see it, you have two choices.

1. Have your son apply and submit your home made transcript. If his outside the home classes have been at a community college or an other organization that provides a transcript, provide their transcripts, too. I would also recommend supplying course descriptions, a home school profile, letters of recommendations, etc.

2. Seek further clarification. Call, write or email the director of admissions and explain that your son will not have an accredited transcript and ask what you should do.

The risk of following the first choice is that if the school is truly not homeschool friendly, you may have wasted time, effort and application fees. The risk of the second choice is that you may be given information you do not care to follow (i.e., they may suggest that you do obtain an accredited transcript). If it was my child and I felt that he/she was a strong candidate, I would probably go with the first option.

Regards,

Kareni

application fees are definitely a concern. I'm hoping to hear that maybe people already have kids at Roanoke and maybe there is someone specific to speak w/. If anyone is interested all the New Hampshire colleges whose websites I've checked out have very nice homeschool pages and no special requirements, so send your kids up our way.

I had no trouble crossing University of RI of dd's list when they stated they wanted 5 SAT IIs from hsers only. But this one I'm not sure about.

There was a mom on the Yahoo group hs2coll who had a dd interested in this school and was offered some scholarship funds too. I remember that they did submit an 'official' transcript that was mom-made and wasn't from any accredited institution so in her case, at least, that wasn't an issue. You could check out that group's archives maybe? Sorry I don't remember her name.

Guest RC Colbert

To clarify, Roanoke College has always had a strong track record of working with homeschooled students in the admissions process. We have several students each year who join our freshman class from homeschooled backgrounds. In fact, many of them tend be some of our stronger scholarship recipients!

While our most common experience has been with families who have organized their homeschool curriculum through an outside organization which provides course descriptions, etc., we will work with whatever amount of detail a family is able to provide. "Mom made" transcripts are fine!:) It is helpful, though, if we can have a brief description of the curriculum in each course. That way we can better assess the level of study that a student has achieved before coming to Roanoke.

On another note, our online application is FREE! There is no applicaiton fee.

I should also point out that this forum thread has prompted administrative action to place a formal homeschool policy directly on our website in order to avoid further confusion down the road. Thank you for initiating that improvement!

For more information or to address any other specific question, feel free to contact our office at (800)388-2276 or admissions@roanoke.edu, or you can contact me directly at colbert@roanoke.edu. I'm happy to help in any way that I can!

Thank you for your continued interest in Roanoke College!

Pete Colbert

Associate Director

Roanoke College Admissions

To clarify, Roanoke College has always had a strong track record of working with homeschooled students in the admissions process. We have several students each year who join our freshman class from homeschooled backgrounds. In fact, many of them tend be some of our stronger scholarship recipients!

While our most common experience has been with families who have organized their homeschool curriculum through an outside organization which provides course descriptions, etc., we will work with whatever amount of detail a family is able to provide. "Mom made" transcripts are fine!:) It is helpful, though, if we can have a brief description of the curriculum in each course. That way we can better assess the level of study that a student has achieved before coming to Roanoke.

On another note, our online application is FREE! There is no applicaiton fee.

I should also point out that this forum thread has prompted administrative action to place a formal homeschool policy directly on our website in order to avoid further confusion down the road. Thank you for initiating that improvement!

For more information or to address any other specific question, feel free to contact our office at (800)388-2276 or admissions@roanoke.edu, or you can contact me directly at colbert@roanoke.edu. I'm happy to help in any way that I can!

Thank you for your continued interest in Roanoke College!

Pete Colbert

Associate Director

Roanoke College Admissions

Kudos to Roanoke College! Many of us appreciate colleges who willingly work with homeschoolers. ;) Thank you very much for coming on here and responding.