Menu

If you use WRTR, what are your thoughts on PR?

Heidi

I have WRTR. I've read most of it and I mostly understand the concept, but I feel overwhelmed by it. It's very confusing and Im not at all confident I could put it into practice.

I've also owned PR, used it for about 4 weeks, and then sold it because at the time my oldest was just starting K and there was so much curriculum out there enticing me that I thought would be better than PR. Now, at the end of her 1st grade year, I'm looking at the Spalding method again, realizing that is the route I want to go. And I liked PR.

I'm hesitating to buy PR because I own WRTR and I know people use it. I DON'T know if they use it to the extent that PR goes, though (not including the latin).

So my question is, if you have read WRTR and use it regularly and successfully, do you look at PR and think it's a lot of money for something you could do just using the WRTR book? PR is pretty expensive after considering all seven levels. The benefit is the hand holding. And I guess the latin curriculum that is not included in WRTR. But the price difference is around $1400.

Should I just figure WRTR out? Buy a teacher's manual for it? What about the later grades, like 4-8th, would I need tm's for those? Does it eventually add up? Or can you teach those grades without spending the $ on TM's to get the full spectrum that I would otherwise get out of PR (minus latin)?

TIA for any insights you have.

I've used WRTR with 2 children. I put in an initial investment of about 20-30 hours to figure out the program, cut off the binding at Kinkos, put it in a binder with tabs, flags and highlighted portions of the text.

After all this and a few weeks using it, I finally got the hang of it! And have loved using it for my kids.

If you'd like to really try using WRTR, PM me and I can give you details.

Another possibility is to use a little-known program called TATRAS. It uses the same phonograms as SWR and WRTR with a few modifications, and has a smaller learning curve than the other 2 programs.

I'm not familiar with PR, but my gut feeling (looking at your precious and young babies) is you might not want to use something so involved. If your goal is just to teach spelling, or reading, there are many simpler, less time-consuming programs that work well. Again, I have not looked at the curriculum in detail and I believe that any curriculum can work if you put in the time investment. It's just a matter of priorities...

My oldest is now 13 and if I could do my first years over, I'd spend a lot less time curriculum searching, use pick-up and go curriculum, and spend more time hugging and loving the kids!

Jean

Edited by Jean in CA

What are your goals / what do you want? I like the idea of PR, but I know I wouldn't use it because I don't like scripted programs, and I don't like video instruction. It's also too expensive, and I prefer to combine kids over an all-in-one program for each child.

If you only want what WRTR provides and can do something else for Latin (I like GSWL) - then figure it out. (I'm using a continuous review system I read about on the SWR group - we do ~30 words a week, so each day I dictate 6 new words, and quiz 30 old ones.) But if you liked PR and want everything it provides, try it.

with a little bit of other stuff in between. I really wanted the perfect program... so I overdid it with my oldest, poor guy! But the method behind WRTR is wonderful. I agree with the previous poster that if all you want is a reading/simple spelling program... you can do it with WRTR and not spend the extra money on PR. If, however, you are like me and want literature and grammar and writing in addition to reading and spelling (and this really ramps up in 2nd grade and is where PR starts to shine, in my opinion), well, you will prob. save money in the end if you bought it again. Right now I have PR covering all 5 parts of language arts without any supplements... AND I can't imagine teaching grammar and literature comprehension on my own without lots of research and prep on my part (although I know alot of mamas on here would be fantastic at it!). So in addition to be a combined program... it saves me oodles of time in prep (I didn't have the time to attend the special 3 day workshops I know are so beneficial for this type of program), and I don't have those brain fogs anymore like I used to get all the time with the other Spalding type programs. The DVD's talk me through all of it and seamless integrate grammar at the same time. The latin is just a bonus in my opinion. We LOVE LOVE LOVE it. More now that we are almost finished with level 2. It just gets better, and faster, and easier for the student, with each week. I have a reluctant "boy" student, and he needs this kind of structure as much as I do. So, for us, it has turned out to be a real value in every sense of the word. :)

When I very first started home schooling, I was given SWR and I read through it and was totally overwhelmed. I got rid of it and grabbed 100EZL. It was a terrible newbie mistake and it caused boatloads of trouble for my oldest son. In hindsight, the only regret I have in my homeschooling is not finding PR sooner. It really does take the wonderful O/G method and turn it into something easy to use for those of us who need it.

WRTR is wonderful. If you can figure it our, use it; but if you want the benefits of WRTR combined with ease of use, then PR is the way to go. The amount of money is lasting from K--high school credit for the program as a whole for all language arts subjects except Composition for the high school level and adds in Latin/word study. Over time, it is actually Not an expensive choice of curriculum, especially for those of us with multiple children. And for this very frugal woman (out of need) it is worth every.penny.

I'm not familiar with PR, but my gut feeling (looking at your precious and young babies) is you might not want to use something so involved. If your goal is just to teach spelling, or reading, there are many simpler, less time-consuming programs that work well. Again, I have not looked at the curriculum in detail and I believe that any curriculum can work if you put in the time investment.

Jean

As a PR user (4dc, 3 different places in the program (including THREE WIGGLY BOYS :lol:) + 3 in LR2 (2 more WIGGLY BOYS :lol:)), I can tell you we spend no more than 20 minutes in level 1 per day. There isn't anything "so involved." In truth, I spend less time using PR than when I used separate programs for all of language arts and I'm finding, as I work through level 3, that my dc are much better writers than the first lot, who used lots of different programs over time. Additionally, now that I have used PR, I think I could use SWR or WRTR b/c of the teacher training. Would I, no..b/c I own all of PR now :D

What are your goals / what do you want? I like the idea of PR, but I know I wouldn't use it because I don't like scripted programs, and I don't like video instruction. It's also too expensive, and I prefer to combine kids over an all-in-one program for each child.

If you only want what WRTR provides and can do something else for Latin (I like GSWL) - then figure it out. (I'm using a continuous review system I read about on the SWR group - we do ~30 words a week, so each day I dictate 6 new words, and quiz 30 old ones.) But if you liked PR and want everything it provides, try it.

Not sure that the PP meant this, but PR isn't scripted. Here's the thing about the video instruction: it's the weekend seminar broken down into lessons. Essentially. Mrs. Beers gives you Teacher Training. You're paying for the weekend seminar, the teacher's manual w/ daily lesson plans, and the student materials for the Whole of Language Arts. Once you are accustomed to the DVDs, you'll fast forward a great deal. Get through PR1 and you'll have a solid reader. Get through PR2 and you'll have a solid grammarian. Get through PR3 and you'll find a great reader, speller, grammarian, and a child with articulate writing skills. All along, you'll also find a happy teacher b/c you see these leaps in education and realize that achieving those bounds was really pretty simple on your part.

Finally, even though it's in my siggy, I'll mention, I am an affiliate. Please remember, I only became an affiliate after I fell in love with the program;I already owned: The Bridge, LR1 & 2, PR 1-3. I chose to represent the company b/c I believe in the program and b/c I answered a lot of questions about the program before the Affiliate Program even existed and people suggested to me that I'd make a great affiliate.

My blog has loads of posts on "A Day in the Life," skills included, specific writing assignments, writing overview, Latin word study beginnings (in PR3), and lesson planning for PR4. I hope it helps make your decision. Please feel free to pm or ask away right here. I'm happy to help.

Not sure that the PP meant this, but PR isn't scripted. Here's the thing about the video instruction: it's the weekend seminar broken down into lessons. Essentially. Mrs. Beers gives you Teacher Training. You're paying for the weekend seminar, the teacher's manual w/ daily lesson plans, and the student materials for the Whole of Language Arts. Once you are accustomed to the DVDs, you'll fast forward a great deal. Get through PR1 and you'll have a solid reader.

I know PR is a good program, and I might consider it if I had a lot more money (jobless atm) and I could start in the middle. As to the video, I read FAST - very fast I guess because I find video instruction on almost everything (unless it involves something spatial) annoying. Personal preference I guess. :D But if I were just starting out, I'd consider PR. I think since the OP liked the program before, she should consider it again if it meets her goals.

If, however, you are like me and want literature and grammar and writing in addition to reading and spelling (and this really ramps up in 2nd grade and is where PR starts to shine, in my opinion), well, you will prob. save money in the end if you bought it again. Right now I have PR covering all 5 parts of language arts without any supplements...

I think that is what has done it for me. PR appeals b/c I didn't just want spelling and phonics if I was going to put in SO much time trying to figure out a curriculum.

I just bought PR again. (THANKS!!!)

Woot! I'm back PR fans!

When I very first started home schooling, I was given SWR and I read through it and was totally overwhelmed. I got rid of it and grabbed 100EZL. It was a terrible newbie mistake and it caused boatloads of trouble for my oldest son. In hindsight, the only regret I have in my homeschooling is not finding PR sooner. It really does take the wonderful O/G method and turn it into something easy to use for those of us who need it.

WRTR is wonderful. If you can figure it our, use it; but if you want the benefits of WRTR combined with ease of use, then PR is the way to go. The amount of money is lasting from K--high school credit for the program as a whole for all language arts subjects except Composition for the high school level and adds in Latin/word study. Over time, it is actually Not an expensive choice of curriculum, especially for those of us with multiple children. And for this very frugal woman (out of need) it is worth every.penny. As a PR user (4dc, 3 different places in the program (including THREE WIGGLY BOYS :lol:) + 3 in LR2 (2 more WIGGLY BOYS :lol:)), I can tell you we spend no more than 20 minutes in level 1 per day. There isn't anything "so involved." In truth, I spend less time using PR than when I used separate programs for all of language arts and I'm finding, as I work through level 3, that my dc are much better writers than the first lot, who used lots of different programs over time. Additionally, now that I have used PR, I think I could use SWR or WRTR b/c of the teacher training. Would I, no..b/c I own all of PR now :D

Not sure that the PP meant this, but PR isn't scripted. Here's the thing about the video instruction: it's the weekend seminar broken down into lessons. Essentially. Mrs. Beers gives you Teacher Training. You're paying for the weekend seminar, the teacher's manual w/ daily lesson plans, and the student materials for the Whole of Language Arts. Once you are accustomed to the DVDs, you'll fast forward a great deal. Get through PR1 and you'll have a solid reader. Get through PR2 and you'll have a solid grammarian. Get through PR3 and you'll find a great reader, speller, grammarian, and a child with articulate writing skills. All along, you'll also find a happy teacher b/c you see these leaps in education and realize that achieving those bounds was really pretty simple on your part.

Finally, even though it's in my siggy, I'll mention, I am an affiliate. Please remember, I only became an affiliate after I fell in love with the program;I already owned: The Bridge, LR1 & 2, PR 1-3. I chose to represent the company b/c I believe in the program and b/c I answered a lot of questions about the program before the Affiliate Program even existed and people suggested to me that I'd make a great affiliate.

My blog has loads of posts on "A Day in the Life," skills included, specific writing assignments, writing overview, Latin word study beginnings (in PR3), and lesson planning for PR4. I hope it helps make your decision. Please feel free to pm or ask away right here. I'm happy to help.

Thank you for this! You are always so helpful!

I know PR is a good program, and I might consider it if I had a lot more money (jobless atm) and I could start in the middle. As to the video, I read FAST - very fast I guess because I find video instruction on almost everything (unless it involves something spatial) annoying. Personal preference I guess. :D But if I were just starting out, I'd consider PR. I think since the OP liked the program before, she should consider it again if it meets her goals.

I have a one and a half speed on my fast forward where I can still hear everything, but it forces Mrs. Beers to talk faster. I like it much better that way. :D

The Spalding Method is really very simple (WRTR is the manual for the Spalding Method). People say that about PR, too. I've read comments from users of both that say both are confusing. You just have to choose the one that you understand better.

WRTR has been the manual for the Spalding Method for, what, 50 years? So, yes, you can absolutely teach Spalding with only the manual. I taught Spalding before the current teacher guides were published. Everything you need to know is in that book. The teacher guides are more helpful for classroom teachers, IMHO.

BTW, I knew Barbara Beers back in her Spalding days. We weren't close friends or anything, but I still knew her.:001_smile:

The Spalding Method is really very simple (WRTR is the manual for the Spalding Method). People say that about PR, too. I've read comments from users of both that say both are confusing. You just have to choose the one that you understand better.

WRTR has been the manual for the Spalding Method for, what, 50 years? So, yes, you can absolutely teach Spalding with only the manual. I taught Spalding before the current teacher guides were published. Everything you need to know is in that book. The teacher guides are more helpful for classroom teachers, IMHO.

BTW, I knew Barbara Beers back in her Spalding days. We weren't close friends or anything, but I still knew her.:001_smile:

If you don't mind me aging you ;) when did you first use Spalding?