That's pretty much it. :001_smile:

#2 kwg

kwg

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

I did it with my then first grader but I am wondering now if I will start it earlier with my next ds. It felt like maybe I could have done it in K? But I am not sure. Interested to hear other responses!

#3 4blessingmom

4blessingmom

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5706 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

4yo, *but* it was just a couple times per week, and we didn't start off with labsheets at all. I can't remember when we actually started the Orange book...but I do know that when ds8 was 4yo I set him up with a little "math play" table for just him while I chased the 2yo and 1yo. Those were crazy days! (I was too busy and sleep deprived to inflict too much learning.:tongue_smilie:)

My dd was 4yo when we started doing some rod play beyond free play. She started Orange at 5yo....still, it's sporadic; not like we plow through the book iykwim.

Current 4yo is in the play stage. I'm ordering Orange for him so we'll have it next year, but am in no hurry to start.

#4 Spy Car

Spy Car

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18090 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:38 AM

4. Just turned 4.

We did do Lab Sheets, play, directed play, homemade Lab Sheets, many activities based on ideas from the First Grade Diary, ideas "stolen" from the RS Activities for AL Abacus book (some translated to rods and blocks), activities involving things I made up, and sheets my then 4 year old made himself.

And we made cards with red dots to represent 1-10 Japanese math style (two rows of 5 to make Ten, and Tally stick style, and regular numerals. And used RS place value cards and base-10 cards, and modeled three digit numers using base-10 "flats" (100s) Orange C Rods (10s) and C Rods (Units) as well as modeling them on an AL Abacus. Stuff like that.

Short answer, 4 :D

Bill (in a bigger hurry than Paula :tongue_smilie:)

#5 rootsnwings

rootsnwings

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:43 AM

We have Miquon for my 3.5 year old but he is really more into playing with the C-rods independently right now. I'm going to pick out some of the easier labs and put them in a binder, then let him choose which lab to do each day so it's a little more child-led exploration.

#6 RoundAbout

RoundAbout

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

My son is 4 years, 3 months and we just started with Miquon. Mostly doing exploration and some homemade games, haven't really gotten to the lab sheets yet.

#7 Greenmama2

Greenmama2

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:47 AM

4. I think shortly after turning 4. We don't do it that often, haven't done any for over a month actually. Probably could have started a little earlier with the end of SM EB rather than 1A/B.

#8 Evanthe

Evanthe

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5128 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

I just bought Miquon for my 3 oldest kids - 9, 8 and 6. But, we've been using Singapore from the beginning, so the problems look like stuff they can figure out.

#9 Wabi Sabi

Wabi Sabi

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1881 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

I just bought Miquon for my 6 y/o. He attended a Montessori school for 3 years where he's already spent lots of time working with place value and manipulatives. I think that Miquon used in addition with the RS games will nicely complement the Montessori style math that he's already accustomed to doing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miquon

What's with the ads?