Menu

Voyages in English by Lepanto Press

We used it for my eldest when she first started homeschooling in 7th grade. She had little grammar instruction in ps and didn't even know all the parts of speech. At the end of VIE7, she still didn't know all the parts of speech, even though it was rigorous and she got through the exercises brilliantly.:glare:

I don't know if the problem was VIE or dd. It was made worse because we used the Kolbe lesson plans. I love Kolbe but not their VIE lesson plans because they don't lead you systematically through the book but jump from topic to topic. I see the point of keeping things fresh, but it wasn't a good fit for dd.

Lepanto's VIE isn't exciting, but it is solid. I would use it again if I had to.:lol:

I would prefer something with more review of various topics and more outlining instruction integrated into the grammar lessons.

The Emmanuel Books people recommend you, the parent, outlining each chapter before you start it. I think that's to give you and overview of what is going to be covered and in what sequence.

Thanks for your replies. I used SWB's program for 1-4, and am currently using R&S for 5th. My plan was to continue with R&S until I saw some questionable topics used for grammar exercises in book 7 (torture details and "Christians should not participate in government"). I found VIE 6 for 99 cents on ebay; I thought that was a good sign. ;)

We had been using it up until a week or so ago when we switched over to the newer Loyola Press version. The books are excellent and really, very much like the newer version except obviously Catholic, whereas the new books are not. Also, I didn't find much of the writing portion in the old books to be usable, but maybe that's just me...

I switched because I thought we needed something with more review built-in. I didn't realize how little the books have changed over the years! The kids do love the full color pages of the new books, but after this year, I may switch back to the Lepanto Press books and supplement with Exercises in English for the extra review needed.

We had been using it up until a week or so ago when we switched over to the newer Loyola Press version. The books are excellent and really, very much like the newer version except obviously Catholic, whereas the new books are not. Also, I didn't find much of the writing portion in the old books to be usable, but maybe that's just me...

I switched because I thought we needed something with more review built-in. I didn't realize how little the books have changed over the years! The kids do love the full color pages of the new books, but after this year, I may switch back to the Lepanto Press books and supplement with Exercises in English for the extra review needed.

Are you switching back due to cost or due to preference? Which do you like better? I appreciate your help:)