Menu

Landry Academy - Anyone Use Them?

Please share your experiences, pros and cons, using Landry's online courses.

I'd like to know:

How rigorous the classes are?

Ease of contacting administration?

Whether your student learned and enjoyed attending?

Are classes archived for later viewing if a class is missed?

If you would recommend Landry courses to other families?

I'm really interested in certain course offerings and leaning towards enrolling, but need advice from folks who've "been there, used them".

All opinions and thoughts are welcome! :001_smile:

Thanks!

I have a close friend who uses them for science. Last year, her ds took the high school Biology, and this year he is taking Chemistry. He is a very smart boy (I teach him writing,) and he finds it challenging. She cannot say enough good things about the classes.

I did notice that Mr. Landry isn't teaching the science courses next year, so I'm not sure what the quality will be once the teacher is determined.

Glad to hear of good experiences with science classes. I had hear this too, mainly from "the grapevine" of moms with friends of friends who also did science. It seems like Landry's is known for its sciences, although they have quite an extensive selection of non-science classes as well.

Anyone else use them for online classes??? :bigear::bigear::bigear:

In 2010-2011 they were about science with just a few instructors, primarily Landry himself.

For 2011-2012, they've been advertising everywhere and are expanding many times over what they were. Most of the classes they list haven't been offered by them before.

Have you done a board search? I have found very few people who have used them, although overall the experience seems to have been positive. Some only had experience with the summer camps.

My son, who will be in 10th grade next year, is signed up for Exercise Physiology and Sports Medicine, which is quite the specialty class.

In my research, I was only able to find one mom who used them for pre-physics earlier this year (a semester long class for 7th-8th-9th). I was shocked that they had multiple choice tests.

I'll have more information in December, though that won't help you now.

:blink:

My son, who will be in 10th grade next year, is signed up for Exercise Physiology and Sports Medicine, which is quite the specialty class.

Check back tomorrow--my daughter did this class last semester, and I will get a full review of it from her. You'd think I would have this already, what with us living in the same house and all, but I am very (possibly too) hands-off with her studies. She made an A in the class and enjoyed it, but I will try to get a better feel for how much she actually learned.

Terri

I keep reading this as LAUNDRY academy and for the life of me, I'm not quite getting why you'd need to outsource this "difficult" topic! Let's see--stuff the filthy stuff in, add soap, turn on, stuff in dryer. Now maybe the putting AWAY of the laundry...

and don't forget the folding! I'd keep the laundry on site but try to outsource the cleaning ....

Regards,

Kareni

Here are the most relevant points from my daughter's review:

The class was "cool." The lectures were interesting, and Mr. Landry managed to incorporate some hands-on activities. For instance, Mr. Landry sent out heart rate monitors at the end of the semester, and calipers for testing body fat percentage earlier, and she enjoyed learning how to use these. She tested her and her swimmer sister's body fat (interestingly, they were identical).

The tests were not hard, but there was a lot of material covered in the course. She ended up knowing much more than was on the test. They learned the bones, major muscles, VO2 max, why muscles get bigger when they get stronger and a lot having to do with nutrition.

She did find the class useful in her life as an athlete (she is a gymnast), but it was geared more towards endurance athletes. She did not, however, feel slighted by this. Everyone in the class was some kind of athlete--football or baseball player, dancer, figure skater, gymnast, mountain climber.

She felt it was worth a half-credit and noted that she remembers most of what she learned in the class.

Hope that helps someone.

Terri

This helped me too, Plansrme, thank you for posting. We were actually also looking at that Ex. Phys. course too. My husband actually teaches college Ex. Phys. and Sports Science at the university. He scanned through the pages of the textbook Landry uses and dh said that the book presents a very good starting point for high schoolers to get solid basic knowledge before hitting college level physiology and sports sciences.

On an aside......I know the calipers you're talking about, we have them here at home. I call them the "Fat Pinchers". Our kids like to say "pinch my fat daddy!".... and as long as NO ONE pinches my fat, I'm OK. :lol:

My older dd is currently taking Anatomy & Physiology with Mr. Landry and my younger dd is in Pre-Anatomy & Physiology. I don't know much about his other classes, however both of my kids have learned a lot this year. They both enjoy the online portion with Mr. Landry, and the materials (books, lab equipment, etc.) are great. Mr. Landry is passionate about the subject and it shows. The experiments have been fun and engaging so far. I have nothing but good things to say.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a side note on this in case anyone is wondering. Ds took Pre-Anatomy and Physiology in the fall and is now in Pre Physics. The first class was taught by Mr. Landry himself and the second class is being taught by Karri Iverson. I have found both to be excellent teachers. I was concerned when I heard he wouldn't be teaching the second one we had signed up for but it has gone very well. I'm trusting Mr. Landry's selection of teachers will continue to be the same calibre so we're really looking forward to more classes. Ds is signed up for both Biology and English next year.

Just a side note on this in case anyone is wondering. Ds took Pre-Anatomy and Physiology in the fall and is now in Pre Physics. The first class was taught by Mr. Landry himself and the second class is being taught by Karri Iverson. I have found both to be excellent teachers. I was concerned when I heard he wouldn't be teaching the second one we had signed up for but it has gone very well. I'm trusting Mr. Landry's selection of teachers will continue to be the same calibre so we're really looking forward to more classes. Ds is signed up for both Biology and English next year.

Thanks, Becky! My son is signed up for Exercise Physiology and Sports Medicine. When I signed him up in January(?), the posted teacher was Greg Landry. Now, it says TBA. :tongue_smilie:

I appreciate your vote of confidence.

• 10 months later...

I cannot give firsthand feedback, but a friend has her son enrolled in English 301 at Landry and they LOVE the teacher and the class. Someone else on this board has their child enrolled in the same class and also raved about it. Based on their recommendations, I've enrolled my daughter in English 201 for 8th grade in the fall with the same teacher they recommended. She uses MCT materials for both of these classes which I consider a plus.

I imagine that whether the online school is Landry Academy, the Potter's School, etc... you'll have teachers that are highly recommended and those that are not. I try to do my homework by conversing with the teacher of the class as well as with parents whose students have taken the class, then I decide from there if it'll be a good fit for my dd.

Edited by Marla

How rigorous the classes are? Depends. My 12 yo is taking intro to Greek. It is moving very slow and steady. He has a Sr. in class with him and it's pretty darn easy for an upr level high school class BUT He LOVES it and thinks his teacher and Greek rock.

17yo is taking Copywriting and Pre-law. Copywriting is an easy class but totally enjoyable. Pre-law is pretty rigorous. The teacher is a total dynamo. GREAT class.

Ease of contacting administration? Very, very easy. We've had excellent help with tech difficulties. My ONLY gripe is that for both Greek and Copywriting the wrong books were listed. SO, my kids started the class with the wrong books and we had to re-purchase books and then the kids were a bit behind.

Whether your student learned and enjoyed attending? Both of my boys are LOVING the classes, the teacher and student interactions. 12 yo missed his this week and had to listen to the recording instead. He was sooo disapointed he missed the live interaction. Plus the platform (Haiku) is great- whiteboard, microphone and video.

Are classes archived for later viewing if a class is missed? Yep. Both boys have utilized this.

If you would recommend Landry courses to other families? Absolutely!!! In fact, 17 yo will probably pay for one in the fall with his own money- that's how much he loves it. And the 12 yo wants to continue with Biblical Greek. He loves his teacher, he loves Greek. Pretty cool!

• 3 months later...

DS took biology with Mr. Landry in 2010-11 (when he was the only teacher and there were only science classes).

My son thought the class was just "alright". Keep in mind that he does not care for biology. I listened to many lectures (helicopter parent/teacher) and reviewed many of the tests. I felt that Landry could have used the lecture time more efficiently. I did not think that class was challenging enough for high school. However, I did appreciate the fact that he lectured at a pace that accommodated students less habituated to note-taking and that he REQUIRED note-taking from the reading assignments and from the lectures. Those notes also had to be submitted to him for a grade. Another thing that I felt was very useful was that he taught how to write college-level lab reports. Those reports were also turned in for a grade.

Over all, I felt the class was sufficient. My son benefited from the class in the way of accountability, increased note-taking (quantity, quality, and speed), and learning how to write a lab report. But I also feel that the text was not the best, the lecture time could have been used better, and the tests were not challenging. I did not feel that the class was worth the tuition.

BTW, ds made an A in the class.

Edited by ValRN

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if anyone has taken their Spanish I or II classes? Or know anyone who has taken the course? I'm trying to find an online spanish class for dd (and we already have the required books at home).

What is their interface? I didn't see prices by the course descriptions - where should I be looking?

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone has taken their Spanish I or II classes? Or know anyone who has taken the course? I'm trying to find an online spanish class for dd (and we already have the required books at home).

What is their interface? I didn't see prices by the course descriptions - where should I be looking?

Thanks!

We haven't yet but ds is signed up for this fall. I've heard really good things about the teacher. Ds has loved his other classes with them and I feel that they are very solid. I believe there should be a sample online class to show you the interface although it is changing a bit this year. Most classes allows for interaction and are very engaging. I think you'll have to act quickly if you want in for this year though. Technically, registration is closed but I would call to see if you can get in.