Menu

what exactly do I need to use Lial's Algebra

I need Lial's Algebra. (freshman high school)

I live overseas, so I'll have to order everything via Amazon.

I need all the solutions (or as many as possible),

I need everything for a complete program, (if there are DVDs, yes I need them too because I'm not algebra inclined.)

I just need what will make my life teaching algebra as easiest as possible. (money is no object). It's confusing to look on these threads and on AMazon there are many different books/versions. I just need a "list."

I can't look through these books, so I need someone who's knowledgeable.

Thank you for any help.

Lial's Introductory Algebra

I like the 8th edition PAPERBACK--hardbacks have different format.

Student text (all that is really needed) 0321279212

Student solutions manual (odd problems) 0321285808

DVT (video lessons on computer) 0321285840

TE (nice to have if you are teaching so you don't have to share books) 0321285859

Which level of Algebra? Introductory or Intermediate?

I assume you want to go with the paperback version of Lial. (This is the version most recommended here.) The most current edition of Lial's paperback version is the 9th.

If you need the Introductory Algebra book, here are some ISBN numbers:

Textbook: 9780321557131

Annotated Instructor's Edition: 9780321576378

Instructor's Solution Manual: 9780321576385

Student's Solution Manual: 9780321576439

Worksheets for Classroom or Lab Practice: 9780321576491

Videos on DVD: 9780321607812

If you need the Intermediate Algebra book, here are some ISBN numbers:

Textbook: 9780321574978

Annotated Instructor's Edition: 9780321576224

Instructor's Solution Manual: 9780321576231

Student's Solution Manual: 9780321576293

Worksheets for Classroom or Lab Practice: 9780321576354

Videos on DVD: 9780321576286

This thread is extremely helpful. Thank you! My 6th grader is completing MUS Pre-Algebra this year and I am strongly considering either Lial's or Foerster's for Algebra next year.

For those who have used Lial's for Algebra I, what do you see as "must-have" materials to complete this course?

Also, what is the DVT (Digital Video Text) like? Is there a video for each chapter/lesson in the book?

Just a little confused about what I actually need to order.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

For those who have used Lial's for Algebra I, what do you see as "must-have" materials to complete this course?

Also, what is the DVT (Digital Video Text) like? Is there a video for each chapter/lesson in the book?

Seewah,

I simply had my child use the textbook Beginning Algebra; however, I was fairly comfortable with my own Algebra skills. I can't answer your DVT question, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

Regards,

Kareni

TE (nice to have if you are teaching so you don't have to share books) 0321285859

Thank you so much!:)

Which level of Algebra? Introductory or Intermediate?

I assume you want to go with the paperback version of Lial. (This is the version most recommended here.) The most current edition of Lial's paperback version is the 9th.

If you need the Introductory Algebra book, here are some ISBN numbers:

Textbook: 9780321557131

Annotated Instructor's Edition: 9780321576378

Instructor's Solution Manual: 9780321576385

Student's Solution Manual: 9780321576439

Worksheets for Classroom or Lab Practice: 9780321576491

Videos on DVD: 9780321607812

If you need the Intermediate Algebra book, here are some ISBN numbers:

Textbook: 9780321574978

Annotated Instructor's Edition: 9780321576224

Instructor's Solution Manual: 9780321576231

Student's Solution Manual: 9780321576293

Worksheets for Classroom or Lab Practice: 9780321576354

Videos on DVD: 9780321576286

We will be finishing up MUS pre-algebra and all the "Keys to Algebra" books. Which do you reccommend, int. or intro Algebra?

Thanks by the way, for typing and finding all that out for me! :D

The Keys are an 'intro' to Algebra-- but Lial's Introductory Algebra is a full Algebra 1 program-- the Keys is not. Students need to have a complete background (solid) in Algebra 1 before moving on to Geometry and Algebra 2 (Intermediate Algebra).

There is very very little difference between editions. The Lial series is a college text series and they are required to put out a new edition every other year... most changes are cover picture changes!

The 8th edition is significantly cheaper than the 9th...

They did re-do the videos with the 9th edition--but the videos are NOT required as the text has complete teaching (unlike traditional high school texts). If videos are purchased they would be used only on rare occasions-- not something a student would want (or need) to watch every day.

Student text is the minimum required... Student solutions (odd problems only) may be handy ON OCCASION (do not allow student to have access to this on a daily basis!).

The Keys are an 'intro' to Algebra-- but Lial's Introductory Algebra is a full Algebra 1 program-- the Keys is not. Students need to have a complete background (solid) in Algebra 1 before moving on to Geometry and Algebra 2 (Intermediate Algebra).

There is very very little difference between editions. The Lial series is a college text series and they are required to put out a new edition every other year... most changes are cover picture changes!

The 8th edition is significantly cheaper than the 9th...

They did re-do the videos with the 9th edition--but the videos are NOT required as the text has complete teaching (unlike traditional high school texts). If videos are purchased they would be used only on rare occasions-- not something a student would want (or need) to watch every day.

Student text is the minimum required... Student solutions (odd problems only) may be handy ON OCCASION (do not allow student to have access to this on a daily basis!).

Thank you! I'm seeing the following books for this.

Now, I'm really confused. Which should I start him with?

Sorry for all the questions. I just can't see them in person, so it's difficult to judge.

0321575695.jpgIntroductory and Intermediate Algebra, 4/E

Hornsby, McGinnis & Lial

©2010 | Pearson | Published: 01/22/2009

ISBN-10: 0321575695 | ISBN-13: 9780321575692

Learn more and request an exam copy »

0321578732.jpgPrealgebra and Introductory Algebra, 3/E

Hornsby, McGinnis, Lial & Hestwood

©2010 | Pearson | Published: 01/22/2009

ISBN-10: 0321578732 | ISBN-13: 9780321578730

0321567927.jpgPrealgebra, 4/E

Lial & Hestwood

©2010 | Pearson | Published: 12/28/2008

ISBN-10: 0321567927 | ISBN-13: 9780321567925

0321557131.jpgIntroductory Algebra, 9/E

Lial, McGinnis & Hornsby

©2010 | Pearson | Published: 12/28/2008

ISBN-10: 0321557131 | ISBN-13: 9780321557131

I will be using the 8th edition again next fall with my online classes-- it is a great text--costs around $20 shipped (in US) for 'like new'

The 9th edition costs quite a bit more-- text will be virtually the same (different cover picture). Cost $40-50 for 'like new' plus shipping.

You DO NOT want one of the 'combo texts'--

you want the one that says 'Introductory Algebra' this is Algebra 1.

The student text is the minimal need. Student solutions may or may not be helpful (should NOT be referenced by student on a daily basis--only for occasional use --most students do NOT need this) DVT (video lessons watched on computer)-- again this is a supplement and NOT something I would suggest watching daily. It may be nice to have in a pinch--but again not necessary --all of the teaching is in the student text (VERY DETAILED lessons--not condensed as in most high school texts).

If you want to be prepared for any emergency then purchase the student text, student solutions manual and the DVTs... total cost for 9th edition would be around $100 plus shipping.

Jann,

Just wanted to say thanks for this info. I had originally planned to use CD Algebra for my dd next fall, but finances will just not allow for it. So, dh and I researched the forums seeing the high praise for Lial's from you and many others on this board. I took the plunge and ordered all 4 items that you recommended using the ISBN's. Even w/shipping, my total cost thru Amazon was $42. Can't wait to get it and look it over. DD is really excited, too. She was glad to hear that it was a well-written text.

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Thanks for everyone's help. It's been a blessing.

(We are in Japan, so I'm not thinking too good right now).

Okay, this is what I'm ordering. Is this correct?

Also, I'm assuming you guys order from the "used books?"

I'm seeing $145.00 for the text, so that can't be what you guys did.

Sorry to sound so stupid, but I really need to get this right since we live overseas, I can't easily return it.

Introductory Algebra (Lial Developmental Mathematics Paperback)

by Margaret L. Lial (Paperback)

Student Solutions manual for Introductory Algebra

by Margaret L. Lial (Paperback)

Introductory Algebra

by Margaret L. Lial (CD-ROM)

Jann,

Just wanted to say thanks for this info. I had originally planned to use CD Algebra for my dd next fall, but finances will just not allow for it. So, dh and I researched the forums seeing the high praise for Lial's from you and many others on this board. I took the plunge and ordered all 4 items that you recommended using the ISBN's. Even w/shipping, my total cost thru Amazon was $42. Can't wait to get it and look it over. DD is really excited, too. She was glad to hear that it was a well-written text.

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

How did you order it all for 42$? I'm seeing 145.00 for the text alone.

Did you order things "used"? Please advise.

Oh my gosh, you're in Japan??!! I hope you and your family are safe. My prayers will be with you!

Yes, I did order the Text, Soln, & TE used & in paperback and bought the CD new. I started at this website http://www.usedtextbooks.net/ and just plugged in the ISBN's that Jann gave earlier in the thread. I did find the materials at half.com for less, but I kept having trouble with my internet protection software shutting me down and stating that someone was trying to access my personal info. That scared me away from half.com which is why I went to amazon. I think the $145 you're seeing was for the newest edition and Jann gave us the ISBN's for the previous edition. From what I can tell the copyright dates on her ISBN's match the 2005 edition (8th, I think). Even if you go to Amazon only and plug in the ISBN's, you will find a ton of used resources. I bought used from people I have dealt w/in the past. So, HTH and I'll let you know how things look when my order arrives.

Jennifer

Edited by Jen the RD

Jann,

When I type in the isbn for the teacher's edition, it doesn't say "teacher's edition" on any of the sites I've tried shopping from. Does the TE have the answers for the even problems? I'd only want it if it does, since I'd like to have more practice problems available with answers.

I just want to say how much Lial's has changed my view on math. I love to do math now, it's no struggle but I don't get bored with it either like I did with TT. I need a challenge but not one that makes me hate math, so good luck with your purchase, hopefully it all works out for you.

Thank you so much Jann!!:D

What is the student solutions? Do they show how the problems are worked out?

The Student Solutions is the odd problems and both odd and even of the chapter review worked out in full.

Just the answer to the odd problems are included in the student text itself.

Heather

Yes you order used. I generally order off of Half because I can combine shipping charges, but I also order off of Amazon.

Heather

I did find the materials at half.com for less, but I kept having trouble with my internet protection software shutting me down and stating that someone was trying to access my personal info. That scared me away from half.com which is why I went to amazon.

That is weird. I have never had a problem with Half, and I do have security running, a firewall and other precautions. I hope that isn't a trend.

Heather

The Student Solutions is the odd problems and both odd and even of the chapter review worked out in full.

Just the answer to the odd problems are included in the student text itself.

The back of the student text has the answers to the odds in the problem sets and both odds and evens of the chapter reviews and tests. The solutions guide has fully worked solutions for the same problems that there are just answers for in the back.

I don't know where/if there are answers or solutions to the evens of the problem sets - I'm guessing the teacher guide? But haven't needed that. I do like having the solutions guide with the fully worked problems, though.

Some site have rules about access to TEs.

When in doubt e-mail the seller.

Many times the TEs are listed in the same postings as the student texts-- just READ the descriptions carefully.

Since this program is not offered for 'real' college credit, many community colleges allow students to purchase the TE directly-- this way they do not have to keep referring to the back of the text-- it also assumes the students are mature enough not to cheat (since they must still pass a placement test after this course, cheating is not likely).

That is weird. I have never had a problem with Half, and I do have security running, a firewall and other precautions. I hope that isn't a trend.

Heather

It was wierd, Heather; I've never had that happen to me. I've never bought from half.com, but I've bought from ebay, their owner. I, too, was trying to combine shipping by buying from 1 seller, who incidentally had 3 of the 4 items I wanted. It cost me $6 more, but I have better piece of mind.

Jennifer