Menu

Spielvogel question: which one(s) to use?

I was at a used book store today and found several versions of Western Civilization by Spielvogel for sale. There were a lot so I was seriously confused. They did not have the one single volume that is sold in the Veritas Press catalog unfortunately so, since it is quite a hike to this store, I decided to buy some smaller volumes and ask the hive what they recommend.

The first one is Western Civilization, Vol. A: to 1500, sixth edition, ISBN 0-534-64605-0

The second one is Western Civilization, Vol. II, Since 1500, fifth edition, ISBN 0-534-60008-5

(If I use both of these will it matter that one is the sixth and the other is the fifth edition?)

And the last one is Western Civilization, A Brief History, third edition, ISBN 0-534-62721-8 and this one includes a CD (never been opened) with study helps, quizzes, etc. as well as a passcode (never been accessed before) to an "online library."

I wonder if this would be best for a high school course.

I am thinking of using one or more of these for a freshman World Civ class for ds14. Which one would be best for this? Is there anything I need to know besides knowing which volume to use?

According to what the publisher told me years ago when I was trying to buy the workbooks that accompany Western Civ, the Vol 1 and Vol 2 are literally Spielvogel's Western Civ divided in half since students the only need to carry half the weight.

I don't think the mix-and-match issue with editions matters at all.

Never heard of "A Brief History," but I'll bet it's an easier version of WC. I'd strongly consider using it!

According to what the publisher told me years ago when I was trying to buy the workbooks that accompany Western Civ, the Vol 1 and Vol 2 are literally Spielvogel's Western Civ divided in half since students the only need to carry half the weight.

I don't think the mix-and-match issue with editions matters at all.

Never heard of "A Brief History," but I'll bet it's an easier version of WC. I'd strongly consider using it!

Thanks, Gwen. Yes, I'm thinking since I'm doing this for high school, the brief version is probably more suitable. I've been perusing all of them for a few hours now and love all the quotes from primary sources, the timelines and the illustrations.

I'm glad to hear that mixing the two editions won't matter either. I figured it wouldn't - especially since they are right next to each other chronologically. I mean, how much can change from one edition to the next?

Still not sure though. Are the two separate editions the same as the comprehensive edition Veritas sells? Maybe I should I hang on to those for my own self-education. Then again, I could just sell those and use the Brief edition.

Decisions, decisions.:)

I've used various editions of Spielvogel over the years (and even sold it when I had a bookshop for homeschoolers) so I have been forced to make quite a study of the differences between the editions!

Here is some info to help you figure out which of the editions you want to use:

The text of the classic _Western Civilization_ by Spielvogel is basically the same in the various editions. The "Brief" version is simply edited down: each section has a paragraph or a few sentences culled out. All the important facts and points are still in there. If you have young readers (c. middle school) you will probably want to choose the "brief." It comes in either the One Complete Volume or in two parts, Vol I and II.

The regular (non-brief) editions come in 3 different ways:

1 complete volume of 29 chapters

2 parts: Volume I (chs 1-16) and II (chs 14-29)

or

divided into 3 parts: Volume A (chs 1-12), Vol. B, and Vol. C

The chapters keep their number in all of the various volumes, so you could use a Volume A and a Volume II, but you might miss a couple of chapters in between. There is a little bit of overlap from I to II but not enough to make up the difference between A and II. For example Vol. II starts with Ch. 14, but Vol. A ends after CH 12.

From an older to a newer edition the main problem you will have is the pg numbers not matching up exactly, and occasionally it is a significant difference. For instance, they did switch some sections around between the 4th edition and the 6th ed. In Chs 9 and 10 some sections were switched. The pages on the Reform of the Church and the Crusades were switched with "Cities and Trade," etc.

The newer editions have some fabulous online helps, exercises and practice tests, etc. To get to the website where you can see these FREE student online resources...

To come up with a list of the various years editions

go to this site:

http://www.cengagebrain.com/shop/index.html

and enter the following search words:

Western Civilization Spielvogel

Once you select an edition (perhaps the 7th? The available free resources vary from one edition to another, and the 6th is the only edition for which I found none! The 5th, 7th and 8th do, but not the 6th? funny that) But the 5th has less resources than the 7th and 8th. So, anyway, follow the links to your specific text. When I speak of the numbered editions I'm referring to the regular not the brief; they are different.

Then...

when you are on the page for the specific edition you should be able to find a link to the "Student Resources"--once you are there, use the drop down menu, pick a specific chapter and then you will see the list of various quizzes, study helps, etc. They will be geared for that particular chapter. When you pick an edition then you can find your isbn, go to Amazon and buy a used copy for just a few dollars.

Here is a specific link to the student resources for the 7th edition, just to make it easy:

http://www.wadsworth.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&product_isbn_issn=9780495502906&discipline_number=21&token=

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps!

:)

I've used various editions of Spielvogel over the years (and even sold it when I had a bookshop for homeschoolers) so I have been forced to make quite a study of the differences between the editions!

Here is some info to help you figure out which of the editions you want to use:

The text of the classic _Western Civilization_ by Spielvogel is basically the same in the various editions. The "Brief" version is simply edited down: each section has a paragraph or a few sentences culled out. All the important facts and points are still in there. If you have young readers (c. middle school) you will probably want to choose the "brief." It comes in either the One Complete Volume or in two parts, Vol I and II.

The regular (non-brief) editions come in 3 different ways:

1 complete volume of 29 chapters

2 parts: Volume I (chs 1-16) and II (chs 14-29)

or

divided into 3 parts: Volume A (chs 1-12), Vol. B, and Vol. C

The chapters keep their number in all of the various volumes, so you could use a Volume A and a Volume II, but you might miss a couple of chapters in between. There is a little bit of overlap from I to II but not enough to make up the difference between A and II. For example Vol. II starts with Ch. 14, but Vol. A ends after CH 12.

From an older to a newer edition the main problem you will have is the pg numbers not matching up exactly, and occasionally it is a significant difference. For instance, they did switch some sections around between the 4th edition and the 6th ed. In Chs 9 and 10 some sections were switched. The pages on the Reform of the Church and the Crusades were switched with "Cities and Trade," etc.

The newer editions have some fabulous online helps, exercises and practice tests, etc. To get to the website where you can see these FREE student online resources...

To come up with a list of the various years editions

go to this site:

http://www.cengagebrain.com/shop/index.html

and enter the following search words:

Western Civilization Spielvogel

Once you select an edition (perhaps the 7th? The available free resources vary from one edition to another, and the 6th is the only edition for which I found none! The 5th, 7th and 8th do, but not the 6th? funny that) But the 5th has less resources than the 7th and 8th. So, anyway, follow the links to your specific text. When I speak of the numbered editions I'm referring to the regular not the brief; they are different.

Then...

when you are on the page for the specific edition you should be able to find a link to the "Student Resources"--once you are there, use the drop down menu, pick a specific chapter and then you will see the list of various quizzes, study helps, etc. They will be geared for that particular chapter. When you pick an edition then you can find your isbn, go to Amazon and buy a used copy for just a few dollars.

Here is a specific link to the student resources for the 7th edition, just to make it easy:

http://www.wadsworth.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&product_isbn_issn=9780495502906&discipline_number=21&token=

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps!

:)

Wow, Beth - that was enormously helpful. Thank you so much. I'm sure wishing I knew all this before I bought the ones I bought today. Oh, well, live and learn.:tongue_smilie:

I can't speak to the other editions, but fwiw, I just got the 7th edition and really like this book! I might be a bit nerdy in this sense, but I'm enjoying the reading and the wonderful selection of photographs it contains :D

Judging from Beth's post, it looks like you got one of the more useful editions. Congratulations!:)

How much did you pay for them? You can get used copies of any of the 6th (and sometimes the 7th) via Amazon for only about $8-12 including shipping!

Try out some of the online resources--they are great! And even the 6th Edition still has a site with all the free Study Helps.

http://www.wadsworth.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&product_isbn_issn=9780534646028&discipline_number=21&token=

Just choose a chapter and then click on one of the blue links, like the "Interactive Maps"

I love these books!!

Well, I was just flipping through them and found that Vol. A goes through chapter 12 and Vol. II begins with chapter 13, so at least I'm not missing anything. I'd rather not say what I paid.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks, Beth, for the link to the free stuff for the sixth edition.:)

How much did you pay for them? You can get used copies of any of the 6th (and sometimes the 7th) via Amazon for only about $8-12 including shipping!

Try out some of the online resources--they are great! And even the 6th Edition still has a site with all the free Study Helps.

http://www.wadsworth.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&product_isbn_issn=9780534646028&discipline_number=21&token=

Just choose a chapter and then click on one of the blue links, like the "Interactive Maps"

I love these books!!

:D I just got this today, thank you for the link!

I have the sixth editions. Thanks for posting the links, Beth! I pretty much forgot I had these.

I bought them (used and dirt cheap from amazon) thinking they would be handy for prepping for the CLEP exam, but he decided to attend history class at the CC instead of studying at home. I will probably use these with my next high schooler.