Menu

Sythesis essay resources

A part of the AP Language and Composition exam is a synthesis essay. This would be a great essay to practice for any high school student. I plan to introduce this today. It is basically like a timed research paper. Here is the college board site with explanations and a sample exam:

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/courses/teachers_corner/51474.html

Here is a teacher's blog that has several different exams as well as student examples that are scored!!! He also has examples for rhetorical analysis and argumentative essays on the sidebar. This whole site looks cool.

http://blog.weber.k12.ut.us/gllewis/category/ap-language-and-composition-english-11/ap-test-synthesis-essays/

Another example but no student models:

http://www.olearyweb.com/classes/amlit010/assignments/apessays/SynthesisIntroEssay.pdf

Have fun everyone! I know my boys will be thrilled about today's assignment!;)

Christine

Funny timing! Over the weekend a friend of ds who goes to a prestigious public high school was just talking about this kind of essay. And I was thinking...what? What's a synthesis essay? I asked around here and got some help, and I really appreciate your links. I was freaked out, a bit. Lots of different kinds of writing out there than I remember being asked to do in the 1980s. Thanks muc!

Great resources - thank you!!!

But honestly, is it just me?, or does this just look like a research paper using 3 to 5 sources? I feel sorry for the graders - some of those handwriting samples are challenging to get through, and these were probably the better ones. :tongue_smilie:

Yep, I think that is exactly what it is...a mini research paper...really something like what I would have written as a journalist for topical magazine piece. And it relaxed me immediately to see it that way. And ask me what years of being a journalist did to MY handwriting. Thank you, Lord, for word processing.

Yep, I think that is exactly what it is...a mini research paper...really something like what I would have written as a journalist for topical magazine piece. And it relaxed me immediately to see it that way. And ask me what years of being a journalist did to MY handwriting. Thank you, Lord, for word processing.

:lol: Yup, nothing like writing under time constraints to bring out the best penmanship. :lol:

We're both the wiser for it, then.

I'm just glad to know there are people on this board that don't know everything, because it sometimes feels like I am hanging out here with people much, much smarter than I qualify to be with.

That's how I feel, too, lol.:)