Menu

Spanish: PowerSpeak vs. Mango Language or use both

warriormom

Ok, I am considering 2 FREE language programs provided by my local library: Mango Language and Power Speak. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these language programs? I am wanting to use this for my son (5) and I to learn spanish together. Which one would you use? Should I use both? Comments...

Ok, I am considering 2 FREE language programs provided by my local library: Mango Language and Power Speak. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these language programs? I am wanting to use this for my son (5) and I to learn spanish together. Which one would you use? Should I use both? Comments...

I think since you have them for free, you should try each on for about 2-5 weeks and see which one you're really liking beyond the 'honeymoon phase.'

We get PowerSpeak through Virtual school and I wasn't impressed with it. LilGal took Spanish K-2 with this program, even while she enjoyed the lessons, she constantly asked "Yeah, but can we learn realspanish now..." as she quickly realized she wasn't learning anything. This kid can't even count to 20 in Spanish, nor does she remember 90% of the vocabulary taught...

The Elementary Spanish in our experience was pretty useless. She isn't taking it this year, because the schedules are so, so, hectic we could'nt fit an elective but she's learned more Spanish in 7 days with our Daily Spanish Time than she did in 3 years with Power Speak....however, she'll probably remain in Spanish 'class' so long as she's in VPS.

PS might really click with your 5yo. you might really enjoy it to, but for us, it was an enjoyable, consistent let down....

I haven't tried Mango, but we used Powerspeak for French during the summer before 4th grade. Unfortunately, we paid for it through k12 and I don't feel it was at all worth it. She had fun but had basically zero retention. Now I don't know how much of this was that she really wasn't all that interested in French vs something else (but I'm sure that's part of it).

You really have nothing to lose if it's free. Try both of them.

• 11 months later...