Menu

what color to paint my living room?

Warm chinchilla is too grey

Pavilion white is too yellow

Topsail is too brown

Winter surf is too blue

I just want a nice neutral, not white, color that doesn't over power the floor (caramel tile). My living room walls have swashes of color on them, none of them we like!

Go with a nice sandy color and do the trim in white. That is what we did and it is very pleasing. My mother liked it so much, that she did the same a few months ago. Just pick a sandy beige that is in the same hue (family) as the caramel in the floors but not too close to the same color, make it darker or lighter. I would go lighter than the floors. Does that make sense?

I would say white, because I love the minimalist/ Scandinavian thing right now like this:

http://emmas.blogg.se/

But... if you don't want white: how about Benjamin Moore's Navajo white? It's more of a cream and I have it in my dining room with white trim. Looks awesome. Also, I like this green:

http://www.benjaminmoore.net/1962.html

Margaret

I just painted my whole house. We did "adobe beige" (Benjamin Moore) in the living room with white trim. Very nice. White built-in bookcases. And we did behind the bookcases in a medium blue, for accent. Painted the adjoiing dining room in the medium blue with white trim. I LOVE it. So peaceful. I can post pics tomorrow.

Lovetobehome, do you have the specific name of the medium blue you used? My kitchen/dining right now is a chili orangeish red. I cannot stand it.

Sure, the blue in my dining room is called Northern Air (Benjamin Moore, satin finish), which is ironic that I chose it because I am not happy about living in the north! It is Benjamin Moore 1676. I think 1677 is nice too, and I might have gone darker if I wasn't so worried about getting SAD.

Here are some photos, I should post them on the Zen/simplifying thread, too. By 'before' pics are there. I'll take more pics tomorrow to show what it looks like with stuff put back in.

paint4002.jpg

paint4003.jpg

Pictures3001.jpg

paint5007.jpg

Edited by lovetobehome

We use Lowe's Khaki. I want to say it is Eddie Bauer, but it could be just the Lowe's brand.

We painted our entire last house in CA that color inside and we liked it so much we used in throughout this house as well.

Dawn

I used Antique Velvet by Behr. I put Navajo White in the rental house my parents bought, it is a little warm but still neutral. Also I am a big fan of an accent wall. Or if you have built ins they could be the accent. I have a rich cinnamon color (can't remember the name right now) as the accent to the warm beige of the Antique Velvet.

We used Behr's Gobi Desert and it looks great! We sampled *so* many colors and finally found one that wasn't too yellow, brown or gold. We also used Glidden's Dark Eucalyptus Leaf (I think that's the name..) for the entryway/hallway that connects to the living room and they look nice together. We get compliments on the Gobi paint color all the time. Good luck!

We used Behr's Gobi Desert and it looks great! We sampled *so* many colors and finally found one that wasn't too yellow, brown or gold. We also used Glidden's Dark Eucalyptus Leaf (I think that's the name..) for the entryway/hallway that connects to the living room and they look nice together. We get compliments on the Gobi paint color all the time. Good luck!

We have Gobi in ds's room. It looks very nice.

I love this color! It is pretty white, but it is such a warm white. We have mostly used it for trim, though we did repaint our old cabinets this color. I think it is definitely worth looking at.

:D We used Sandstone Cove for the trim. It's a nice mix between light brown and light gray. If we had large rooms, I wouldn't mind using something like that as a wall color, but our rooms are tiny.

I recommend Everlasting from Benjamin Moore. We had our entire house done in this last summer. It's both warm and airy feeling. One of my friends says my house is like being at the beach - which is actually what we were shooting for (she didn't know that when she mentioned it).

I painted my living room and kitchen Sherwin Williams "Blonde." I LOVE it! Not overpowering, very soothing. The dining room is a deep chocolate brown and the sun room on the other side is a blue, but with more of a gray undertone than what you have in your living room now.

Here's a picture (not MY living room, but someone's). :-) It's the yellow/gold on the far wall.