Menu

Best online AP classes for homeschoolers?

Do you have any tips for good AP online classes for homeschoolers? What do I look for an an online course?

With my son graduating from high school this year. I couldn't put AP after any of the courses on his transcript, as AP courses now have to be approved by the college board. This meant he didn't get that boost in the GPA from another point for an AP class. For my older sons, if they scored a 3 or higher on an AP test, I put AP after the course title. So for my younger children, I am thinking it may be a good idea for them to take some AP online classes.

Debbie,

I also live in middle Tennessee and have a child taking APUSH with PA homeschoolers, but apparently in the other class, because she's the only Tennessean in her class.. Where is he taking the test? We live in Franklin, but Franklin High School didn't know what to do about homeschoolers taking the test, so we had to go to Independence.

For those in Florida, ds1 had a good experience with FLVS for AP biology and felt well prepared for the exam. That same year, he took AP Human Geography and loved it as well.

Dd1 and ds2 are taking a AP Eng. Lang through FLVS this year. Ds2 is also taking AP Env. Science. These courses seem overcrowded; much more than we've experienced in the past unfortunately. The teachers are carrying a very heavy student load and cannot respond to my dc very quickly. I do think the course is preparing them for the exam.

HTH,

Lisa

Are you aware that you can go to the AP website and download the material that will be covered on the test and sign up for the test even if you haven't taken a class? I would say that if your student can pass the test, you can count it as an AP class on your transcript. I plan on having my dd take a couple of AP tests even though we are going to be doing TOG.

Are you aware that you can go to the AP website and download the material that will be covered on the test and sign up for the test even if you haven't taken a class? I would say that if your student can pass the test, you can count it as an AP class on your transcript.

This is not quite accurate. Yes, your student can take an AP exam even if he or she has not taken an AP class. (This assumes you are able to locate a testing center that is willing to test your child.) However, you may only label a class 'AP' on your transcript if your child has taken a class which used a College Board approved syllabus. Homeschoolers may apply to the College Board to have their own syllabus approved.

Regards,

Kareni

This is not quite accurate. Yes, your student can take an AP exam even if he or she has not taken an AP class. (This assumes you are able to locate a testing center that is willing to test your child.) However, you may only label a class 'AP' on your transcript if your child has taken a class which used a College Board approved syllabus. Homeschoolers may apply to the College Board to have their own syllabus approved.

Regards,

Kareni

:iagree:

For the poster that is using TOG, you can list the class as an Honors Class. If your child does well on the AP Exam then you can account for that but you cannot label the class as AP unless you have your syllabus certified by the College Board.

Do you have any tips for good AP online classes for homeschoolers? What do I look for an an online course?

With my son graduating from high school this year. I couldn't put AP after any of the courses on his transcript, as AP courses now have to be approved by the college board. This meant he didn't get that boost in the GPA from another point for an AP class. For my older sons, if they scored a 3 or higher on an AP test, I put AP after the course title. So for my younger children, I am thinking it may be a good idea for them to take some AP online classes.

You can submit your own course syllabus/description for approval from the College Board. I'm planning on pretty much just swiping and modifying their exemplars when the time comes. :-)

Sharon ~ I called the College Board and asked them who was offering it. He attended Hume-Fogg (downtown) in 9th grade and we thought he would take it there, but DCA was on the AP testing list as well. They are just down the street from us, so I called them and they were VERY happy to have us (?) and so accomodating and didn't bat an eye about us homeschooling. I was actually dreading calling around about it. So, that is where he will go. We drive to Franklin/Brentwood all week for one thing or another, and it was nice to find something close :) I wasn't keen on having to call Hume-Fogg due and ask since he left there in 9th (and they, of course, thought we were crazy!).