Menu

Mathtacular and Right Start Math

I don't think you need to supplement Right Start Math. I've been using off and on with my four year old. She likes it, but I am having a difficult time getting into the groove of its style. We'll be doing it more consistently in the fall once the weather turns.

We had been using a traditional workbook program from Critical Thinking that was not producing any real learning.

I'm curious about Mathtacular too. We have the Sonlight Science DVD that my daughter watches occasionally during her quiet time. I love the unadorned pace of the show. I'm going to see if they have snippets of Mathtacular available at my convention.

• 4 months later...

I have used both of these. I like the RightStart math because I am AMAZED at how my kids have learned with it. I have used it for 3 years.

We just bought the Mathtacular video last week. My kids BEG to watch it and ask if they can watch more! When they are done watching a clip or two, they race to the manipulatives to play more games from the ideas they watched. Even my older kids come out to watch the clips.

While it is still new, my kids have never reacted like this to a video. Sure, the others are fine, and they do them, and they learn. But this one worked great!

I was showing the 1st Mathtacular DVD to my pre-K and Kindergartener. At least the beginning clips.

From the few clips I watched, it looked like it showed the basics for K and 1st. I didn't view anything other than the first 10 - 15 clips (there are about 100) so I don't know yet how far they go.

There is a 2nd and 3rd level as well.

Maybe Sonlight says more about their particular grade levels? That's where we bought it, after getting multiple recommendations at a local homeschool meeting.

I have used both of these. I like the RightStart math because I am AMAZED at how my kids have learned with it. I have used it for 3 years.

We just bought the Mathtacular video last week. My kids BEG to watch it and ask if they can watch more! When they are done watching a clip or two, they race to the manipulatives to play more games from the ideas they watched. Even my older kids come out to watch the clips.

While it is still new, my kids have never reacted like this to a video. Sure, the others are fine, and they do them, and they learn. But this one worked great!

I ended up getting and using both programs and I agree that they are great. Dd5 loves RS Math (We are using A right now). I was also surprised at how well dd5 liked the Mathtacular video. Thanks for your response. It was very encouraging and validates what I have been seeing with my own dc. I hope when we have been with RS for three years that I will be able to say the same things that you have said. I do have a question for you, if you don't mind. How well have your dc learned their math facts from the games? I really want my dd to have them down cold when she finishes the RS elementary sequence. Were the games enough, or did you need to supplement with something else for that? If so, what did you use? TIA for your time to respond to these questions.