Menu

Regarding Teaching Company

So far I've only used the HS Algebra I from The Teaching Company. My son finished Jacob's Algebra I in 7th grade then went onto Jacob's Geomety (3ed) for this year (grade 8). I felt like I'd like him to have a review of Algebra I thoughout the year so....he did Geometry 4 days a week and Teaching Company Algebra I one day a week. He really has liked that.....as a matter of fact, our library didn't have the last 5 lessons and he insisted I try to borrow a copy from another town's library so he could learn about matrixes! Go figure!

Hi, my name is Lyn, and I'm a Teaching Company addict. :D

Regarding your question: we use the courses as supplements. If the kids really get interested, we comb our public library and other resources to learn more. Each set of lectures comes with an outline of the course content and recommendations for further study.

Hope this helps! :)

Some courses work well as supplements, and some work well as stand alone courses.

I've been disappointed in the high school courses we've bought from Teaching Company, especially the history ones. (It totally irks my daughter that the teacher often persists in trying to fake an accent through the whole lecture. The costumes and first person narrative get old fast too.) We vastly prefer the other courses. We recently finished the Dark Matter course and that was great! Next on deck for us is the Joy of Thinking. :D

By the way, Netflix carries some of the Teaching Company courses, like the Algebra course, though you have to hunt a bit to find them.

You could use the courses as stand-alones buy purchasing the recommended text(s) and requiring reading those, as well as written responses to the essay questions in the course book.