Menu

For those who have used VideoText, a "sequence" question (m)

For convenience purposes, I want my 8/9th dtr to skip Mod. C of VT Algebra and do "D" first. Then, after finishing D, go back to C (which is mostly graphing, slope, etc.). Dtr is a strong math student.

Looking at the table of contents, I don't think we'll run in to much in "D" that will be dependent on dtr's mastery of Mod "C". (The topics seem pretty different.) But I wonder if I am missing something as Algebra course descriptions and topic labels are a little confusing to me.

(The convenience is that her older sister would be doing "D" at the same time and it would save me 30-40min a day of teaching/hand-holding. Big Sis has already done "C" last year.) I am teaching 5 kids so any time savings is hugely important to me.

MODULE C Scope & Sequence:

Solution Sets, incl graphing terms, intercepts

Special Cases y=,>,< a; Absolute Value

Relations from Solutions: Given slope and y-intercept, given one solution, given two solutions, Special Cases

Systems (Graphic & Algebraic)

Problem Solving (Setup, Numbers,Age, Geometric Fig, Motion, %, Mixture (all coverd in Mod B already)

Solutions Sets - one sentence, 2 sent, 3 or more sentences

Speical Cases - No solultion, Infinite Solutions

Problem Solving (Numbers, Age, Geomentric Figure, Mixture)

MODULE D Scope & Sequence

Exponent Notation (terms, operations, sci notation, special cases

Polynomials (terms, operations)

Solving Relations (Principal of zero products, common factor, differen of squares, perfect square trinomial, general trinomial, four or more terms, sum or difference of Cubes, General Strategy, Synthetic Division, Literal Equations)

Problem Solving (Numbers, Consec. Integers, Geometric Figures, Formula)

Thanks for any advice, input.

Lisaj, ljdeerpark@aolDOTcom

Why would it cost YOU extra time? I do not remember all the content of modules C and D (it has been two years since ds used the program) but I do remember not having to do anything aside from use the answer key to check his work. It is teacher in a can, after all (ok, I never even TOOK algebra, so couldn't of hand-held or helped if I wanted to!).

I would assume the material does build on itself module to module. But you could always contact the VideoText people via phone and ask them yourself. They could give you a better idea if doing those modules out of order is feasible or not.

and make sure they are understanding the material. Otherwise, they (esp one dtr) tends to go on w/o being clear. IOW, she thinks she gets it, does a lot of work and gets all confused.

She has always struggled with math and VT is no exception. It isn't teacher-in-a-can here :).

It is easier for me by far to keep the girls in the same level in almost any curriculum. There are lots of reasons why it is easier for me, from correcting to them helping each other to time management. :0).

And, thanks for the sugg. to call VT - great idea!

lisaj, mom to 5