Menu

What level of writing is this?

Kuovonne

This is my DD's narration. I asked her to summarize a chapter from her religion book (6 short paragraphs, or about 1 1/2 pages).

At first DD had a hard time picking the main points. I coached her to identify the main parts of the chapter. She did the rest herself. Spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are her own.

Jesus was praying with his disciples. Soldiers came and arrested Jesus. Jesus carried the heavy long cross for a long time. Then He was nailed to the cross and died.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is another writing assignment where she was supposed to write instructions on how to get a glass of water. This assignment was from a sample in the the first book in The Paragraph Book series.

First, go to the sink. Next, turn the handle to turn on the water. Then, put the glass under the water. Finally, turn the water off.

Again, capitalization, spelling, and punctuation are all her own.

Here is a 10 minute freewrite that DD did about our backyard. Because it was a freewrite, I explicitly told DD that capitalization, spelling, punctuation, and complete sentences don't matter.

Our backyard is full of plants trees chickweed spiderward all kinds there is a path that I like to run around in made bending trees with stones to mark the path so you don't wander off it there are chairs so that you can sit on the patio and relax and enjoy the calm still ness I just love the back yard it's so fun there is a cumquat tree that has delisius fruits sometimes I go into the backyard and get myself wet mom doesn't mind as long as I clean up myself and keep the house clean to sometimes I'll put flowers in my hair and shake them everywhere.

So, what level of writing is this?

What would be a good next step? We are finishing up MCT Island level, but DD is not ready for Town level. I am considering moving on to Killgallon (to improve her sentences) or to The Paragraph Book (to teach paragraphs).

Edited by Kuovonne