Menu

% of the first year expenses of student's 2-yr college was GIVEN-grant scholarshp etc

Nan in Mass

% of the first year expenses of student's 2-yr college was GIVEN-grant scholarshp etc  

1. 1. % of the first year expenses of student's 2-yr college was GIVEN-grant scholarshp etc

• Less than 25% of the first year of major expenses for a PART TIME student
    • 26% - 50%
    • 51% - 75%
    • 76% - 99%
    • Full ride
    • Less than 25% of the first year of major expenses for a FULL TIME student
    • 26% - 50%
    • 51% - 75%
    • 76% - 99%
    • Full ride

TWO YEAR COLLEGE this time. : )

How much of your two-year college student's expenses for the first year was given to them by non-family members? In other words, how much was a grant, scholarship, etc.? Just count the major expenses - tuition, fees, and room and board. Don't count the personal ones, like transportation and books. I know books can be a major expense, but they vary from major to major so much that I think perhaps we should leave them out.

Multiple votes are allowed so vote once for each of your students.

It would be helpful if everyone who voted here also voted in the how much savings poll as well. Then we can put them together to get a picture of how it is most common to pay for college. At least, I hope we can. If this structure doesn't work, maybe we can try again. I've never done a poll before, so it might not work out the way I am hoping it will.

-Nan

Ds#1 went from approx. 50% merit scholarship in first year (total tuition/room board/etc = $15,500) to full ride 2nd year. He has continued at that level and is hoping for some "bonus" money scholarships for his senior year.

I did not include his paid internships in calculating his level of scholarship $$.

I voted for the 26-50% option for the first year because ds waited to take the GED until after he'd enrolled full time and therefore wasn't eligible for the state lottery scholarship until the spring semester. However, the second year falls in the 76-99% option.

One thing, though, about the expenses at two year colleges...my son's cc has no dorms. His daily commute is between 50-60 miles round trip depending on which campus he's driving to on any given day. Fuel, insurance, and vehicle maintenance are a significant cost. The one public transportation option available to us doesn't serve the c.c. or univ.

ETA: The balance is paid out of savings, but dh and I do help with some of the transportation expenses.

Edited by Martha in NM

I voted for full time full ride. However this is for my dh and I NOT our child. We both are in college full time at our local CC. We received the pell grant and it has paid for our tuition and books, etc. We paid for our books out of pocket (saved on older editions and used copies and we share books for 2 classes that we are taking together) we were able to use the extra money for laptops that we desperately needed. What a blessing!