Menu

10th grade essay: Tale of Two Cities

Amy in TX

She chose from several suggested topics. I'd really like other eyes than mine to look at it. Thanks!

Sydney Carton: Heroic Or Suicidal

Sydney Carton puts himself in Charles Darnay's place at the guillotine at the end of A Tale of Two Cities. In Carton's own self-destruction, Darnay and his family are saved from death and grief. Was this Carton's intention? His self-loathing and worthless lifestyle suggests that it was not, while his love for Lucy Mannette and longing for a life of value suggest otherwise. Do his actions signify heroism or desire for suicide?

Many of Carton's statements and actions early in the book suggest a suicidal personality. Perhaps Carton is simply looking for an easy way out, in switching places with Charles Darnay to be executed.

He verbally expresses self-loathing. Referring to Darnay, who bears a strong likeness to him, Carton asks himself, "Do you particularly like the man? Why should you particularly like a man who resembles you? There is nothing in you to like; you know that. Ah, confound you!...You hate the fellow."

After his proposal of marriage to Lucie had been turned down, he says to her, "I wish you to know you have been the last dream of my soul." With this, he is voicing his feeling that he has no meaningful future. On the same day, he also describes himself as being a, "self-flung away, wasted, drunken, poor creature of misuse..." All of these statements imply despair. Also, his actions and behaviors make him appear empty, lost, living a life without purpose.

However, it's more probable that what he did was purely out of love for Lucie, rather than a desire for suicide. He also may have wanted something good to say about his life, and sacrificing himself for a good man provided this.

When we first meet Carton, he saves Darnay from being executed for espionage, proving that he does choose care about someone else.

Later on in the book, Carton proposes to Lucie, who turns him down. His love for Lucie is an obvious motivator to sacrifice himself for Darnay. In the same scene, he tells her, "For you, and for any dear to you, I would do anything...I would embrace any sacrifice for you and for those dear to you."

Carton has a conversation with Mr. Lorry, in which he asks questions about regret, and fulfillment. He asks Mr. Lorry, "How many people will miss you when you leave it (his life) empty!" With this statement, it is clear he wishes he had someone who cared for him. He later goes on to muse, "I have won myself a tender place in no regard; I have done nothing good or service-able to be remembered by!" He was obviously contemplating his own life, and made the decision to do some good with the remainder of it.

So, did Sydney Carton go to his own destruction simply to relieve himself of the pain his life caused him, or to save a man's life who was dear to the women he loved? Carton's actions and statements throughout the book prove that he sacrificed himself for Lucie, and to have done something fulfilling and good in his life. Also, he knew that by doing this, he would be remembered for having saved a man's life, something possibly more valuable to him than anything else.

Was she supposed to argue one way or the other - heroic or suicidal? I understand that there are points for both, but if it's supposed to be a persuasive argument, she should choose one side and support that side well. If that's not the case, then supporting both sides is fine.

She'd benefit from an outline (if it needs to be a 5 paragraph essay). I like her introductory paragraph as it clearly states the issue and is well written. I'd add on a thesis statement at the end declaring which way she'll be arguing and briefly stating three reasons (again, if it needs to be the formal essay format).

Then the following three paragraphs should be in support of her reason. She can organize these in sequence of how they occur in the story, or she can classify them in another way. But each paragraph should be clear about the intent and have at least two, and preferably three, supporting statements. She uses quotes well and these make good supports.

Of course the above suggestions are only if it's to be a formal five paragraph persuasive essay. She writes very well, and her paper flows beautifully and is easy to read and follow her thoughts. She may want to look at her paragraph formation as some of them might be better grouped together. Just a typo - Lucy needs to be Lucie.

Personally I like reading the paper she's written more than the formal five paragraph essay. She may want to make sure that what she's done is what was requested. I like her style of writing. :)

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Then the following three paragraphs should be in support of her reason. She can organize these in sequence of how they occur in the story' date=' or she can classify them in another way. But each paragraph should be clear about the intent and have at least two, and preferably three, supporting statements. She uses quotes well and these make good supports.

[/quote']

I agree with you that her intent in each paragraph is often not clear. That has been my feeling sometimes with her writing, and I tell her that what's clear to her in her own head is often not clear to the reader, and she needs to spell things out more obviously in topic sentences. It's a great help to me to have someone else express the same reaction.

Thanks for your comments! :)

Was she supposed to argue one way or the other - heroic or suicidal? I understand that there are points for both' date=' but if it's supposed to be a persuasive argument, she should choose one side and support that side well. If that's not the case, then supporting both sides is fine.

She'd benefit from an outline (if it needs to be a 5 paragraph essay). I like her introductory paragraph as it clearly states the issue and is well written. I'd add on a thesis statement at the end declaring which way she'll be arguing and briefly stating three reasons (again, if it needs to be the formal essay format).

Then the following three paragraphs should be in support of her reason. She can organize these in sequence of how they occur in the story, or she can classify them in another way. But each paragraph should be clear about the intent and have at least two, and preferably three, supporting statements. She uses quotes well and these make good supports.

Of course the above suggestions are only if it's to be a formal five paragraph persuasive essay. She writes very well, and her paper flows beautifully and is easy to read and follow her thoughts. She may want to look at her paragraph formation as some of them might be better grouped together. Just a typo - Lucy needs to be Lucie.

Personally I like reading the paper she's written more than the formal five paragraph essay. She may want to make sure that what she's done is what was requested. I like her style of writing. :)[/quote']

:iagree: Her sentence structure, word choice, and use of quotations is very good. Her writing style is easy to read; however, the piece meanders rather than marches towards a given point. :) Refuting the opposite point of view can be very helpful in a persuasive essay One way to organize the essay would be like this:

1st sentence: a hook of some kind. Make your reader want to read the essay.

next sentences (1-3) : Pose the question: suicidal or heroic. Briefly state the support for the thesis that he was suicidal (some say his act was suicidal. They point to evidence blah blah blah).

State thesis: However, (state thesis: it was an act of heroism based on his love for Lucy.)

List evidence you'll expound on in the body of the essay--three points is usually good. You can do this briefly in one sentence, or do three sentences. One teacher I know calls this the "plan of attack." Your three phrases or sentences are essentially the topic sentences for the 3 body paragraphs of the essay.

Body paragraph 1: Topic sentence of the first argument and supporting evidence

Body paragraph 2 Topic sentence of the 2nd argument plus supporting evidence

Body paragraph 3: Topic sentence of the 3rd argument plus supporting evidence

concluding paragraph: revisit the thesis and arguments. Expound on the meaning of his sacrifice or something similar.

There are other ways to do it, but this is pretty standard.

Edited by Laurie4b

I will agree with what the other posters said. Did she outline her paper before she wrote it? I'm guessing the answer is no. I've gotten to where my children must give me a detailed outline before they start writing their paper. So have her outline this:

I Introduction

A Hook- list what it is

B 2 or 3 sentences of background information

C Thesis- write the entire sentence

II. Suicidal

A.

B

C

III. Heroic

A.

B.

C.

IV Conclusion

Restates thesis

Concluding remarks

I also wondered if she was supposed to choose one way or another. She could then have three body paragraphs: one on why some evidence points to suicidal, but really isn't. Second body paragraph on love and the evidence that he did it for love. Third body paragraph on to leave a better legacy. To do something that counts.

Christine

:iagree: Her sentence structure, word choice, and use of quotations is very good. Her writing style is easy to read; however, the piece meanders rather than marches towards a given point. :) Refuting the opposite point of view can be very helpful in a persuasive essay One way to organize the essay would be like this:

1st sentence: a hook of some kind. Make your reader want to read the essay.

next sentences (1-3) : Pose the question: suicidal or heroic. Briefly state the support for the thesis that he was suicidal (some say his act was suicidal. They point to evidence blah blah blah).

State thesis: However, (state thesis: it was an act of heroism based on his love for Lucy.)

List evidence you'll expound on in the body of the essay--three points is usually good. You can do this briefly in one sentence, or do three sentences. One teacher I know calls this the "plan of attack." Your three phrases or sentences are essentially the topic sentences for the 3 body paragraphs of the essay.

Body paragraph 1: Topic sentence of the first argument and supporting evidence

Body paragraph 2 Topic sentence of the 2nd argument plus supporting evidence

Body paragraph 3: Topic sentence of the 3rd argument plus supporting evidence

concluding paragraph: revisit the thesis and arguments. Expound on the meaning of his sacrifice or something similar.

There are other ways to do it, but this is pretty standard.

Thank you, Laurie--I think I'll show her this. Like I said, it's so good for both of us to have these reactions coming from someone other than me, lol. :)

I will agree with what the other posters said. Did she outline her paper before she wrote it? I'm guessing the answer is no. I've gotten to where my children must give me a detailed outline before they start writing their paper.

She did outline, but her outlines are not detailed enough to be helpful. I'm trying to get her to do her thinking in the outline, so that the paper pretty much writes itself.

This dd has a hard time doing what she doesn't think is necessary--like putting thought into outlining, or spending time on clear transitions... The paper is very clear in her head, but it's too much effort to make it clear to the reader.

She's been reading these responses today, and it's been a real eye-opener for her to read three people (other than mom!) saying her paper comes off as disorganized.

BTW, since she is reading these, thank you all for praising what can be praised. That really helped her relax and listen to the criticisms without feeling defensive. :)

Judging from what she's written' date=' I'll bet her creative writing is awesome! She just needs to learn the formal essay format, make an outline, and put it all together. She seems like a natural writer. :)[/quote']

So nice of you to say--thanks!