Menu

I'm sick. Help! Can I use doxycycline for respiratory infection

For all of you in the medical field.. Do you know if I can use doxycycline hyclate 100mg for a respiratory infection? I have a bottle with 60 in it that was prescribed to me for something else that I haven't needed it for yet. I am just desperate as I cannot sleep at night from all this coughing.. I feel like there is so much gunk in my chest but it is seriously like glue and will not come up. I don't want to go into urgent care and waste a bunch of money for them to tell me I have a virus and to go home. I have only had this for 7 days but each day it has gotten much worse and it feels just like something I had 3 years ago which only went away with an antibiotic. I would love to start taking it tonight but called the pharmacist and he said it may or may not work but that most of the time this drug is not what they prescribe for respiratory infections. However when I look online I see that it is indicated for respiratory infections. Is it just for certain respiratory infections with a specific bacteria? Trying to decide if I should take it and see or if it would be worth going in. Would a doc really give me an antibiotic if it has only been 7 days and I don't have a fever? I really don't want to waste money because I have to pull the full amount for the office visit. Opinions?? Thanks in advance. <3

Well, I don't know if you can take it or not for a respiratory infection. I would guess yes; but, there are better antibiotics out there for respiratory infections.

BUT - since you wrote that you've been having these symptoms for a week AND they're getting worse, methinks you need a chest x-ray to r/o pneumonia. Although it's somewhat uncommon, one can have pneumonia w/o fever.

Do call your doc tomorrow or go to an urgent care place. You really don't want to mess around with pneumonia.