What's with the ads?

Photo

How long should it take an allergic reaction to amoxicillin to clear?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 A home for their hearts

A home for their hearts

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2769 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

My ds9months has a sinus infection and was prescribed amoxicillin after giving him 2 doses he broke out in hives yesterday. The doc prescribed him something else but he still has hives. Would this be a new reaction to the new drug or would there still be some amoxicillion in his system after 24 hours?

#2 lisamarie

lisamarie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1608 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

DH reacted to a med he was taking and the dr said it could take up to 2 weeks for it to fully clear his system and for the hives to go away. I want to say that it took a good week for the hives to leave. I reacted to ibuprofen and it took 3-4 days for the hives to clear up. It's not instantaneous, unfortunately.

#3 akmommy

akmommy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

When my DD got hives from ceclor she continued to have outbreaks for almost three weeks. Anytime something would irritate her skin, like clothing tags, hives would develop. I was told this was normal.

#4 mommyto4

mommyto4

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

My ds reacted to Keflex and ended up with a rash that lasted for over three weeks.

#5 akmommy

akmommy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

Double post

#6 Harriet Vane

Harriet Vane

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10639 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

An allergic reaction can continue for 4-6 weeks. Generally you will need to stay continually on antihistamines the first 3-5 days, after which you can expect to dose with an antihistamine as symptoms (hives, whatever) crop up. Over time the reactions will decrease in frequency.

#7 RoundAbout

RoundAbout

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

When we found out my son was allergic it looked significantly better after 24 hours but took a few days to completely clear up.

#8 Quad Shot Academy

Quad Shot Academy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

When my son reacted to Amox, it took a week, with Keflex, it took 6. :crying: It is a real issue to know whether he is reacting to the new antibiotic or not. :grouphug:

#9 Starr

Starr

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12173 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:21 PM

Mine lasted for several weeks. The poor baby! I am so sorry!

#10 A home for their hearts

A home for their hearts

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2769 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:52 PM

An allergic reaction can continue for 4-6 weeks. Generally you will need to stay continually on antihistamines the first 3-5 days, after which you can expect to dose with an antihistamine as symptoms (hives, whatever) crop up. Over time the reactions will decrease in frequency.

Hmm my ped didn't say anything about giving him antihistamines, guess I'll need to call and ask. It would probably help, not only is he sick now he is probably itchy all over! Poor baby he's just miserable!

#11 AndyJoy

AndyJoy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2286 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

My dh's hives from Amoxicillin lasted several weeks. Poor baby! Dh was pretty miserable for the first few days at least.

#12 AngieW in Texas

AngieW in Texas

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

When my middle dd reacted to Amoxicillin, it took about 10 days for the rash to go away.

#13 ChristineW

ChristineW

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:45 AM

When my DS5 was 14 mos he had the amoxycillin rash. It took about 10 days for it to clear up. It got worse for about 2 days after he stopped taking the antibiotic. I'm pretty sure the dr had us give him benadryl.

Christine

#14 Quad Shot Academy

Quad Shot Academy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

We did Benadryl and Zyrtec around the clock.

What's with the ads?