Menu

Anyone else excited about college kids returning home! :)

Ds called this afternoon. Exams are over, car is packed, he has checked out of his dorm. He is going to visit his girlfriend for the next few days and then he is on his way home.

I am so glad he will be living with us this summer. He is now officially engaged and they are planning on a summer wedding next yr. So this is my last real summer with my ds.

Here's to a great visit with all of our returning children! :)

Ds called this afternoon. Exams are over, car is packed, he has checked out of his dorm. He is going to visit his girlfriend for the next few days and then he is on his way home.

I am so glad he will be living with us this summer. He is now officially engaged and they are planning on a summer wedding next yr. So this is my last real summer with my ds.

Here's to a great visit with all of our returning children! :)

Yes! Tomorrow, a whole week earlier than we thought.

Sweet!

And congrats on your new family addition-to-be. Great news.

is getting married June 1....So...she won't really be coming home. I am really happy for her...but is is a little melancholy for me.

She is graduating with a 3.9 GPA! I am really proud of her. She succeeded at something I always dreamed of. She inspires me...maybe someday I can finish my degree too.....(oh, she was omeschooled from 4th grade on.)

``Faithe

I'll be facing this myself---my kiddos being gone and me hoping I'll get to see them over the summer!

It seems both a tremendously wonderful and at the same time frightening thing to let your kids move on with their lives---but they have to! I'm sure I'll be posting a lot as that time approaches!

Momof7, congratulations on your son's engagement! Good to see you back again!

Thank you, all of you with older ones, for sharing........It is so neat to get a bit of a peak into where we will be in a few years.

My oldest will only be home in August this summer. She has a great internship in the Netherlands, but we will miss her like crazy. I am currently playing around with flight schedules trying to see if I can pop over to visit her -- and see a bit of Holland while I can stay in her apartment for free. ;)

If ds1 is anything like his sister, this will be his last summer at home. He is hioping to have an internship next summer......I am just going to treasure his being here this summer.

They grow up so fast! :mellow:

I'm very much looking forward to seeing my darling girl. However, I'm not looking forward to having her and her brother hanging around the house all summer with nothing much to do except get on each other's nerves.

(For those who don't know or don't remember, I'll mention that my daughter is a very young college student, doing an early entrance program. So, it's not quite the same thing as having your "adult" student come home. She'll still be dependent on me to drive her around and provide a certain amount of entertainment. And she and her brother are world champs at driving each other insane and taking me along.)

In previous years, we've always allowed each of them to choose two or three weeks of some sort of camp to keep them busy and out of each other's way. This year, however, we can't afford it. I've been scrambling to find some things for them to do, but it looks like pretty much all of July is a big, yawning, gaping hole to be filled with tension and bickering.

This will also be the first summer since we moved to Florida that we don't have regular access to a pool.

So, yeah, I'm a little ambivalent.

My 13 year will be coming home from his first (and perhaps last) year of boarding school to join my 11 year old here and it's back to kids bickering and a lot more work for me. Valerie in MI

Nice to know I'm not the only one!

I keep trying to tell myself not to get all tense about possible problems, not to borrow trouble, but, like Alice in Wonderland, I'm not all that great at listening to my own advice.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing my darling girl. However, I'm not looking forward to having her and her brother hanging around the house all summer with nothing much to do except get on each other's nerves.

... I've been scrambling to find some things for them to do, but it looks like pretty much all of July is a big, yawning, gaping hole ...

Jenny, are any of your daughter's new college friends anywhere near your area? Perhaps you could 'borrow' a friend for a week? (And maybe they'll borrow her in return??)

Regards,

Kareni

Jenny, are any of your daughter's new college friends anywhere near your area? Perhaps you could 'borrow' a friend for a week? (And maybe they'll borrow her in return??)

Good idea, but, unfortunately, no.

The college she's attending is 800 miles from here, and she recently found out she's the third farthest away. (Summer storage space is allocated in part based on the distance girls would otherwise have to haul their stuff.) As far as I know, there is only one other girl from our state, and she's several hours from here (and has divorced parents and may be splitting her time, anyway).

Oddly enough, she did bump into a girl she knows from the community theatre group right here in our area during the prospective student overnight. However, it looks like the other girl won't be applying for at least a year.

I can't help thinking about the carpooling possibilities, though . . .

Yes, Jenny, I can see that there would be a big difference. Our ds will be working at least one part time job, maybe two, trying to save money. He is also taking a summer school class (meets 5 days/week for 3 hrs). He will be taking his younger siblings on grand adventures b/c he wants to have special time with them before he gets married.

I can imagine if we had sent one of our other children to boarding school, it would be a serious time of adjustment getting into a rhythm.

I hope you are pleasantly surprised and that you all have a smooth transition.

...we are disappointed that he didn't get to go on any choir tours. He was moved to the concert choir mid-year so he doesn't even get to go on the spring resident choir tour either. He found the busy schedule and lack of freedom to do things such as read, go to the library, or web surf, very frustrating after years of a fairly relaxed homeschool. So now he doesn't want to go back next year. I really want him to have a taste of the touring choir experience though, so I'm hoping he changes his mind over the summer. I need to keep him busy this summer so he sees that life here is just as "bad". We've moved since he's been gone so he hasn't experienced life here yet.

I just took "her" cat up to say, "Look, she's home! Curl up in bed with her!"

Dd will have to go back to take some finals, but she has moved out of the dorm room, and she'll just drive there and back for the day since she is close enough.

My only girl--back under my roof. LOL!

J

...we are disappointed that he didn't get to go on any choir tours. He was moved to the concert choir mid-year so he doesn't even get to go on the spring resident choir tour either. He found the busy schedule and lack of freedom to do things such as read, go to the library, or web surf, very frustrating after years of a fairly relaxed homeschool. So now he doesn't want to go back next year. I really want him to have a taste of the touring choir experience though, so I'm hoping he changes his mind over the summer. I need to keep him busy this summer so he sees that life here is just as "bad". We've moved since he's been gone so he hasn't experienced life here yet.

It's really unusual for a first year to tour. I'm sorry he missed his RC tour, though -- that pretty much stinks. But chances are, he'd be gone next year more than he is in residence, so it will balance out. But I know what you mean. They have a part-to-full time job in addition to school, and it's TIRING.

Ben considered not going back for his *last* year. (Yikes!) But I do know that he's very proud that he stuck it out.

Ds and a bunch of his friends had trouble with it last spring. He squeeked by with a C- otherwise he would have been taking it last summer.

Anyway, I pick him up Monday and I hope he works at least 40 hours a week. Not just to make the money which he needs, but to keep from the in and out all the time that drives me crazy.

My 20yo dd just returned home for the summer on Thursday night, after her first year away. I've been quite busy with homeschool co-op stuff the last couple of days so we haven't spent much time together yet, but it's so good to hear her fiddle music filling the house again. She'll have a few weeks away for fiddle & jazz strings camps but otherwise plans to get her drivers license, hopefully pick up a few fiddle students, and pick up any other employment that she can scare up.

who will come home and crash out for a few weeks at least!:tongue_smilie:

But now she needs the job so she can finish paying for school!:glare:

It's all the buzz around here--what to do when sister comes home!:grouphug:

Cathy