Menu

DS shadowed at a Magnet school today

So we've had a rough year for a number of reasons - some of them are completely out of ds's control, some are not;) He's a 6th grader going into 7th. We are up to our necks in his Logic stage, lol. We applied to the local magnet as a back up plan. We don't know if he has been accepted. It's really a "food for thought" plan.

He shadowed today. He went to 4 90 min. classes (they alternate days) - biology, TX history, film and photography. He was matched up with a nice 7th grader as his host. His review was not terrible, nor was it glowing.

I realize he only got a quick glimpse of the school but I thought some of you might be interested in his experience. The school population is probably between 1200-1500 for 3 grades. There are 100 magnet students per grade. Biology - they dissected a chicken wing. The class was just average for him. TX History - they watched and took notes on King of the Hill:lol: I could only laugh. Seriously? It was the episode about TX history and, apparently, the assignment was to separate the true historical facts from fiction! Again, really?? Ds said there was only mild cussing (a$$). I'm still laughing. To be fair, ds said he really wanted to go back next week because they are going to do a mock trial on Santa Ana. Film - he felt he learned a few things and found the class interesting. Photography - this class made the biggest impression. From his description, it must be an easy A class. He said the students were loud, disruptive, foul mouthed and didn't listen to the teacher. She gave them an assignment on the computer and instead of doing it, they played video games in front of her. One of the students (a girl) said, "I wanna beat yo a$$!" to ds. He asked her why she hated him and she replied, "I don't. I just wanna beat yo a$$." I explained to him that she is probably a product of her environment and that she's probably said that to every kid in the class. Today she got to say it to somebody new. That's all.

My general thoughts are that this is just typical. I'm guessing the photography class had a reputation for being easy, with an easy teacher so it attracted students looking to goof off. I was more surprised by King of the Hill. That's a show for adults, not children. If I were wound more tightly I'd be mad but, as it is, I just think it's stupid.

His impression was just blah I think. He filled out a survey and his comment for improvement was "Stop cursing." :lol: I thought maybe he'd be impressed with at least some students and/or teachers. That he would come home feeling like the school was challenging, maybe even over his head but no. I also discussed with him if he felt it would be difficult to stick to his Christian values in a school like this and he said yes. He said, "I can do it but it will be hard."

He hasn't been accepted so I'm putting any serious thoughts about today on the back burner. It's was just an interesting experience especially since I've been beating myself up about not finishing that math book or not ordering that Latin curriculum sooner, etc. I feel better now:D

Guest Dulcimeramy

We visited a new STEM charter school in our area. They hyped this thing to the moon, so we went to have a look.

No windows in the building. It is part of a converted warehouse.

No green space or any outdoor place for students to be.

No cafeteria.

No library, and no plans for one. The kids are to use the public library.

It is a charter for students gifted in STEM subjects, but there are no options for advanced math students except to utilize distance learning on computers. They don't have teachers for advanced students in math or science.

Less aerospace instruction than my son gets in Civil Air Patrol (which also meets in the neighborhood). And the school is called the Aerospace Academy!

No art. No music. These were promised on the website, but the principal clarified for us: The students get a half hour of free time at the end of the day three days per week. Some of them choose to draw during that time, or play guitars or something.

No transportation. The students are to use the city bus system, which is not safe.

Guest Dulcimeramy
It's was just an interesting experience...I feel better now:D

That's what I decided, too. We are now dedicated to homeschooling through high school. That charter was the only option other than the abysmal public school.