Menu

Writing progression in a dyslexic student age 7-11

EKS

I thought I'd post all of the examples of my dyslexic son's writing in one place so anyone who is interested in looking at dyslexic writing can find it all together. Since he was 12, he's been allowed to use the word processor for all written work, so the drafts don't have the same "dyslexic" quality to them.

Age 7: He was told to write about anything. Unedited.

wo hcips rnict.

(Wood chips are nice.)

Age 8: This was in response to the prompt: Tell me about going to the Science Center. Unedited.

we went a long wae and thin we went on the fast thing and thin we wint in sid. and we plab with the ecsunatr and thin we trid too pla with the tic tac toe mushen and thin we wint too the bag thing and thin we wint too the binusho thing and thin we wint too the ecsuvatr and thin we left

Translation: We went a long way and then we went on the fast thing (monorail) and then we went inside. And we played with the excavator and ten we tried to play with the tic tac toe machine and then we went to the bug thing and then we went to the [something] show thing and then we went to the excavator and then we left.

Age 9: This time my son was told to write something about a trip we took. By way of explanation, he is talking about burying my grandmother's cremated remains in the middle of nowhere in the desert (according to her wishes). Unedited.

The Derte road

This trip we when't to bary my Grate Grandma on this dert road. So when we got on the road in are fourrunner my teeth were chattring but they stoped when we got on the bumpy port. It was 13 miles in to the drte road so I just relaxed and it was fun!

Age 10: Here my son was asked to write about Galileo. He used IEW's keyword outline technique. This version has been edited for spelling.

Galileo

For hundreds of years people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe. Then a man looked in space and found out that the Earth goes around the Sun. But he did not publish that. In Italy, there were scientists, Artists, and musicians. Then in Pisa Galileo was born in the year 1564. Galileo was a very curious boy. He studied mathematics and physics and he was a bright man. There was a man who made a instrument that could see things far away. So Galileo made a copy and made a few changes and then he looked at the sky. He made observations and wrote then down in a book called The Starry Messenger. He was amazed at his telescope. A lot of people read the book. He made four maps of the moons of Jupiter and gave then to Cosimo II. Galileo was getting more famous and everyone celebrated and paraded. The Church started to worry. He was going against the Bible. The Church ordered him to stop and come to see the Pope. Galileo was afraid. People had been punished for going against the Church. He was tried in the Pope's court. Galileo was condemned and locked in his house. But no one could stop him from passing ideas on to others. Galileo died in the year 1642. Three hundred years later in 1992 the Church got a clue and said Galileo was right!

Age 11: This one is a story he wrote for his Druidawn writing club. He did not use the keyword outline technique for this. This is the final version.

Mr. Quench

Our story takes place in an airplane factory. But this is not your average airplane factory. This factory produces paper airplanes. Each airplane comes with its own propeller. The factory smells like paper and if you look around all you would see is paper. But if you look more closely you will see hundreds of little men and women all folding and cutting.

But outside works a man whose name is Mr. Quench. He tests all the airplanes. He is very nerdy. He has an elephant tie and wears baggy pants. On his face sits a mole that is the most hideous ever to be on a man's face. Mr. Quench lives up to his name by drinking a lot of water. Did I forget to mention he is fat?

But one day, when he was testing the lightest and the smallest airplane ever to be designed, something funny happened. The airplane took a nose dive on account of that he was so fat (and his mole was so large). On the way down a flapping noise was heard and the airplane fell apart. Mr. Quench didn't know what to do. Then all of a sudden he landed in the pile of paper the plane had made when it fell apart, and he was saved!

And here is the unedited version:

our story takes place in an are plain factory. But this is not your avrig ampain factory it produces paper airplains. Eeach one comes with it's own propeller. It smells like paper and if youlook around all you see is paper. But if you look more closly you will see hundreds of little men and woman all folding and cutting.

But out side works a man hoos name is mister Quench that tests all the areplains. He is verry nerdy, he is one you will call Super Nerdy. he has an elephant tie with baggy pants. On his face sits a mole that is the most hidious thing ever to be on a mas face. Mister Quench lives up to his name by drinking a lot of water. Did I forget to mention he is fat?

But one day when he was testing the lightest and the smallest airplain ever to be designined. Something funny happened, the aireplain took a nose dive on the be half that he was so fat (and that his mole was so large), on the way down flaping noise and the aireplain fell apart. Now at that moment a verry funny thing hapened. he diden't know wat to do. Thin all of asudden he landed in the Pile of paper and was saved.

The End!