Menu

Snuggle on the couch Science

Sophie

I'm looking into science for my youngest for next year. We're now doing the Let's Read and Find Out Series and we love it! Just reading a story and do a little experiment.

Preferably Christian, nice pictures, maybe with a kit? Any suggestions I can look into?

Thank you

I'm looking into science for my youngest for next year. We're now doing the Let's Read and Find Out Series and we love it! Just reading a story and do a little experiment.

Preferably Christian, nice pictures, maybe with a kit? Any suggestions I can look into?

Thank you

One Small Square (there are experiments in the sidebar)

Nature's Children books (although there is a lot of text in these)

Zoobooks and Zootles magazines

Nature Study Challenges at Handbook of Nature Study blog

Thank you

Are those grade levels or ages in your signature line?

Bedell doesn't have experiments, but it is meant to be read aloud to the child and then to orally ask some questions and it is VERY Christian. It's very open and go. It really focuses on vocabulary building.

There is a page for primary and then another page for juniors that is to be added to the primary lesson. Then there are research questions for older children who also are expected to have also read/listened to the younger lessons.

I'm using it for my own self-education because it is so easy. I just read more in my encyclopedias when I want to go deeper than the lesson. If I had little ones, I would be reading ahead and adding books from the library. Sometimes I check netflix and online streaming Bill Nye to supplemement.

I have learned a LOT :-0 I really love these books.

Not Christian, but have you checked into Magic School Bus? There are kits that go along with some of those, although I've never used them to be able to comment.

We also read the Berenstein Bears Big Book of Science. It's typical B.Bears fair that gently introduces concepts like solid, liquid, gas.

I also have been using Apologia, but some of that might be a little over the head of a 5 yr old.

Usborne has some nice early reader-type books.

Thank you

Are those ages or grades in your signature line?

With the ages of your children, I would not do Apologia just yet. It is an absolutly wonderful curriculum and great for snuggling, but I would wait on it. Some of the other suggestions such as SL science and One Square inch and the Bernstein Bears Book of Science and Nature would be a better fit for the ages you have. Also the Magic School Bus is a great jumping off source. I am using this with my young 6 dd. We get a kit (right now it is dinosaurs) and the MSB book. From there we have a whole basket of books related to the theme we snuggle together to read or just look at.

For your children's ages, using several smaller books for a theme will keep them more entertained then reading from one book on the same subject.

Have you looked at the Usborne Book of Science Activities series? I think there are at least three volumes. Each 2 page layout covers some topic and then has a couple activities/experiments that are doable with household items. (These books are in a couple of the early Sonlight science schedules.)

Seymour Simon has good picture books that cover the solar system and other topics.

Magic School Bus does have a wide range of topics. I prefer the original books with all the little sidebar comments, but the briefer books based on the TV episodes are often easier for young children because they are more straightforward.

Mudpies to Magnets and More Mudpies to Magnets were in the original WTM as early science recommendations.

You might also want to just look at the science suggestions in WTM and start getting picture books from the library about various animals, plants and other science topics that your kids can directly observe. (In other words, a toddler might connect better with a book about lions than about bacteria or the moon rather than Pluto.)

I have listened to the Classical Science audio lecture from SWB a couple of times and find it pretty helpful, not only for suggesting what to do, but also for suggesting what to hold back on.

Yes Apologia looks good, but not for now.

Sonlight might be an option, but I've heard it jumps around a lot. Can I not just read the books and find an appropriate experiment from the guide?

I didn't look into the other suggestions yet, but definitely will do so!

Sonlight might be an option, but I've heard it jumps around a lot. Can I not just read the books and find an appropriate experiment from the guide?

YES! This is what I did when we used SL science. My dc did not like the skipping. We read the books one at a time, did appropriate activities, and added in library books on the subjects being studied.

Of course you can. Remember that your kids are still very young. There may be major animals that they don't know yet. The idea of waves in the ocean, snow and rainbows are still miraculous to them.

You could have a full time science curriculum just reading short nature and science books and answering how and why questions.

I've used the Magic School Bus kits with my son, and he LOVES them. I think they're nicely done. For Christian based science reading, Happy Day books have a couple of science based books: God Made My Body, God Made the Dinosaurs, God Made Outer Space. I think there's a bug one, and we have an older chocolate one as well.

Apologetics Press has a series for young readers as well. These are just beautiful. I wish they had samples on their site. I highly recommend them. They are heavy paperback books with glossy pages and beautiful pictures. And they're reasonably priced.

HTH,

Jennifer