Menu

11 y/o boy, WWE 3 week 1 narration, critiques welcome

nukeswife

After fighting our way through SWI A until the Story Sequence unit (unit 3) my son said he didn't really care for IEW and would like to try something else. I've slacked on narrations because I didn't find WTM until we'd be hsing for 2 years and then I floundered about implementation. I've dug out my WWE PDFs and placed him in WWE 3. Today we did week 1 day 1, in which he was to write a narration about The Straw, the Coal and the Bean by the Brothers Grimm He loved the story and this is his narration, he wrote it himself because he feels he's old enough to do it and I agreed. Please share your thoughts about how he did.

A straw, coal and a bean set off to a new country. Their first problem was a brook. The straw was used as a bridge. The coal tried to cross, but burned through the straw and fell. The bean stood there laughing, and broke in two.

I think he nailed it. My kids think this story is hilarious. Your son's narration is what I'd expect for WWE level 3 and he didn't make any errors in grammar or spelling.

Oh, he did make errors in spelling, but we corrected those as he went along, the grammar correctness is all his. I probably should have mentioned that in my original post.

It looks very good and clear.

I have a question: Do you read the story to him or does he read by himself and do the narration/writing?

I bought a used WWE 3 and wonder if kids are supposed to read and write without mom reading the passages.

He read it silently to himself and then we went over the questions in the workbook, then he wrote the narration out himself. I know in the workbook is says they can read it aloud or to themselves and then I'm supposed to write his narration down for him, but feel he's old enough to write them himself.