Menu

University Model Schools, or schools like this.(For homeschoolers,not a full 5 days)

University Model Schools, or schools like this.(For homeschoolers,not a full 5 days) I'm wondering about the good and bad about UM schools.... what you've liked... not liked.... If Homeschooling but sending your kids to "school" for part of their learning... or half day school... extra curricular....

I think my days of doing what I've been doing are perhaps numbered, and I'm looking at all my options.

I KNOW I want my son to be involved with homeschoolers on a continual basis. I know I'd like the same kids... over and over hopefully, in hopes of forming friendships.

I'm trying to decide if I should do a "from scratch" type co-op. An academic one? A fun one?? Right now, I'm SOOOO open.

I've thought of.... A SOTW co-op, a Living Math co-op, a Science co-op... (projects and also studying scientists), a Geography co-op.... a study different countries and their foods...

I only have one son, don't mind working for basically nothing.... and have the energy needed... in short spurts... to do it. (I've run a program for a few years now and love it.. )

:)

I'm all ears!!

My older two kids attend university model school two days a week. They take their core classes - English, Math, History, Science, Latin there. I love it! They love it! It is a perfect blend of homeschooling and school. Several of the teachers are outstanding; real experts in their subject. My kids complete their assignments at home, and I help them, instruct them when needed. It is awesome that they are independent and motivated. This doesn't work for some kids; they have to be organized and self-sufficient.

I have organized art classes for our community and they can take classes there to fulfill their fine arts credits. We have been lucky to attain excellent teachers, who are experts in their fields.

This is more expensive, but I work at the arts center and tutor on the days when my oldest two are at school, so it works for our family.

Stupid question here, but how does one find a University Model school in one's area? Is this a word-of-mouth type of thing?

I wonder if you could Google it? I did for my area, and it gave me the most popular one. However, I know of 2 more that have been open for 2+ years and one that is opening this fall. If you have local homeschool e-groups/loops, you could post on one of them.

I'm planning on using a school such as this when my boys are older (middle school+) since they'll be hitting subjects I'm not comfortable teaching (all higher maths). I think it will be the perfect balance between school/home for my boys.

Our uni model schools do a M/W or T/TH class rotation. Some of the higher level classes run for all 4 days. Classes start around 8:00 (I think), they last an hour, and the day is done at 12:30. The school also offers sports teams, drama club & band, if I remember correctly. I haven't looked into it lately since we haven't felt the need for right now.

University Model Schools, or schools like this.(For homeschoolers,not a full 5 days) I'm wondering about the good and bad about UM schools.... what you've liked... not liked.... If Homeschooling but sending your kids to "school" for part of their learning... or half day school... extra curricular....

I think my days of doing what I've been doing are perhaps numbered, and I'm looking at all my options.

I KNOW I want my son to be involved with homeschoolers on a continual basis. I know I'd like the same kids... over and over hopefully, in hopes of forming friendships.

I'm trying to decide if I should do a "from scratch" type co-op. An academic one? A fun one?? Right now, I'm SOOOO open.

I've thought of.... A SOTW co-op, a Living Math co-op, a Science co-op... (projects and also studying scientists), a Geography co-op.... a study different countries and their foods...

I only have one son, don't mind working for basically nothing.... and have the energy needed... in short spurts... to do it. (I've run a program for a few years now and love it.. )

I'm all ears!!

I've got three neighbor families with children attending Univerisity Model Schools this year - all three on the same block as me and all three attend different schools!

So I'm not speaking from first hand experience but from careful observation.

The family who had four kids in UMS at four different levels struggled. The home days were a killer for the mom because every child was reading a different book, studying a different thing in history and science, etc. They ended up bringing in the MIL ( a tutor) to help on the home days because it was so much. They only have one in a UMS now and the others go to full-time private school and things are much better.

One family moved their son from PS after a great deal of bullying (8th grade). He also has some LDs. It has been hard for them because the mom isn't very confident teaching some of the subjects at home, and she has difficulty keeping him on task with his ADD. They have struggled in every setting, so I wouldn't say it's UMS. The UMS they go to is one of the more highly regarded in the system.

The third family has two children who were in ps, then homeschooled for two years and now are in their first year of UMS. It's technically not in the UMS system, but is set up the same way. It is a very rigorous classical school. It has been an excellent year for them, and I think they will continue on this path. It has worked well because the mom is very committed to being hands on during the at-home days, and the educational philosophy fits what the family was already doing.

In addition, in our area we have some coops that are not simply enrichment. They hire professional teachers and have a facility for their classes. That might be something to look into as well.

Carrie,

Our UM style school here was considered a "co-op" until they went private. However, they kept their "format" the same....M/W OR T/TH rotation for grades K-12 with no classes on Friday. The day consists of a maximum of 4 classes/periods. Day starts at 8:30 and ends around 12:15. That would make about 50 min classes with 5 minute classroom switch b/t classes/periods. I REALLY liked this for my only dd. I've always homeschooled her from K to now 6th grade, but we did enroll her to receive "supplemental" academic instruction. They offered ALL core and elective and enhancement classes like a public/private full time day school. It was wonderful, but they went private and after 5 years of my dd taking 1 or sometimes 2 classes, I dropped her from the program b/c they went to private status and that meant "closing" our homeschool which I don't want to do.

My main reason for putting her in this academy to begin with was 2 fold.

1) She's an only child and I wanted her to socialize with other like-minded homeschoolers (this is a Christian academy) and 2) for her to learn to submit to authority from others (in addition to my dh and I).

I still schooled her full time and as I look back at it, it was probably too much. But, it was clear that they "supplemented" the homeschooling efforts of the families.

My friend was over one day last week. Both of our kids are s.n. and may need to take another class or two at a similar style academy. I found one that is full time M, W, F from 8:30 -3:00 or T, TH....don't know the hours. However, my dd could go part-time to this new academy and take 1 or more classes which is what I'm eyeballing...my friend too. It seems like an ideal situation for us.

If your state is not listed on that website that doesn't necessarily mean you do not have a UMS near you. We have one in my county that is not on the list.

http://graceprepschool.org/

Agree--it's just not a member of that particular UMS organization.

My first experience with the University Model was in HI--Punahou School, a highly regarded private school, runs on this type of system.

Agree--it's just not a member of that particular UMS organization.

My first experience with the University Model was in HI--Punahou School, a highly regarded private school, runs on this type of system.

Do they use a 3 day/week schedule? I always thought Punahou was a 5-day school. I have friends who went there when I lived in Hawaii.

Thanks for all these thoughts. I'd love links to the schedules :)

Here's the link to the UMS my ds's attend. Roll your mouse on the Academics tab then click the link to Elementary, Jr High, or Secondary Schedules.

This is our second year at this UMS--ds1 started last year in 9th, ds2 started this year in 7th. All Jr and Sr high students attend MWF, Elementary attend TTh. High school students may also attend TTh depending on what classes they need; this usually applies to 11th-12th grade though they're trying to offer some electives those days, too.

To address your pros & cons, some background first. We had come off of 2 years of a TOG co-op. It was intensive and a lot of work. There is just a different level of prep to teach your own vs a roomful of other people's kids. I had already planned not to rejoin the co-op but as it turned out the leaders decided to stop the co-op because there were several new classical model options available in our area. Dh and I started looking at some of these options as ds was "difficult" and we felt he'd respond better to someone else being his teacher. (This turned out to be true and he realized it himself during his first year at UMS.)

What drew us to UMS over other options was the flexibility of choosing courses--we could send ds1 full time or not and do some courses at home or online. I liked the not having to plan and grade. Our UMS is a Christian school (I think all in NAUMS are) so that was a plus for us. And it is a small school, which has its drawbacks, but it was a good fit for ds1.

Negatives: it *IS* a school (even though in our state GA it is considered a homeschool resource unless your student is enrolled full time, 6 classes). Even though the dc are home more than a traditional school, it is still a school. If you send your kids there you lose flexibility and control over their schooling. You can't just take a day off, you use the books they tell you to, etc. There is much more parental involvement if your kids are in elementary than in secondary, though. At this point, both ds's are in secondary and my role is more supervisory rather than teaching.

I'm starting to ramble now. Overall, we really like our UMS and it is working well for our ds's.

Not in my state :glare:. There is one uni model school but it's a boarding school :lol:. They do have "day student" tuition, but it's about as much as we make in an entire year, lol. However, we have a plethora of wonderful free charter schools so I suppose it would be asking too much for this, too. :)

Do they use a 3 day/week schedule? I always thought Punahou was a 5-day school. I have friends who went there when I lived in Hawaii.

It is a 5-day a week school, just that some classes are 3x/week and some are 2x, just like at college. I did a day exchange there when I was in high school and I'd heard their classes were "just like college." It was strange to me at first. I couldn't imagine what they did between classes as they might have a class from 9-10 then an hour off and another class at 11. And they only went to that particular class on MWF! It was such a foreign concept to me.

It may be that just the high school is run this way; that's the only division I have a slight bit of knowledge about.

It is a 5-day a week school, just that some classes are 3x/week and some are 2x, just like at college. I did a day exchange there when I was in high school and I'd heard their classes were "just like college." It was strange to me at first. I couldn't imagine what they did between classes as they might have a class from 9-10 then an hour off and another class at 11. And they only went to that particular class on MWF! It was such a foreign concept to me.

It may be that just the high school is run this way; that's the only division I have a slight bit of knowledge about.

That's fascinating - I didn't realize they did things that way.

That's essentially what my ds attends. Some students take only one class there; others take most of their classes there. It meets twice a week. Some classes meet both days, others only once a week. Classes are 90 minutes long.

It's been a blessing for us, because he has become part of a very close-knit group of friends who eat lunch together and socialize often outside of class. He gets the experience of being in a classroom, but it's not all day every day, which would be too much for him. (He has Asperger's.)

For high school, my plan is to have him continue to take math and science there every year, and perhaps other subjects, too. We'll see.

Wendi

Westminister Academy in Fort Lauderdale, FL - has such a program. What was amazing to me is that the organizers were able to get it in place in less than 1 year!! It might be an interesting call to ask them how they went about doing it. I think the kids meet once a week and they can participate in all the extra curriculars of the private school. We moved from the area shortly after the program started - but I was impressed with what they had to offer and the support they had. Just to clarify - the school did not initiate it - homeschool moms approached the school with a plan.