Menu

Lawrence M. Elson Coloring Books

Has anyone used any of these books to complement your sciences?

How do you use them? It might be silly, but I cannot figure out how on earth to color this pages. Do we choose the colors? I have instructions, but I cannot figure out how to do this without getting all confused?:confused:

Can anyone help?:confused:

TIA

What I did was color the words the same color as the thing I was coloring in the color of my choosing. Did that make sense? Im sorry, its rather late for me...:sleep:

The words are all hollow so that you can color code them to the thing you are coloring!

HTH!

We've used colouring books like this. There are usually directions that go with them. They may say something like use green for muscles, blue for bones, red for nerves, ... If you do this throughout the whole book, it makes it easier to see what is going on. Mine read the text and colour things the suggested colours, making sure to match colours between the bubble text and the objects. A biggish box of crayola coloured pencils (you can find these at CVS, etc.), works well. So it goes something like this:

Read the unbubbled text.

Pick a colour and colour the first bubble word.

Search the picture for the matching part and colour that the same colour.

Ditto with the rest of the bubble words, picking a different colour for each term.

Reread the unbubbled text. Now that you know what the terms mean, it will probably make more sense.

Make sure you understand what the page is trying to explain.

We like them. All it does is make you work with the diagram and definitions a little longer than glancing at them as you read a page of text. It helps you remember. They aren't as good as copying the picture and labelling it yourself, but they are a good compromise timewise between doing that and just reading a text. I first saw the anatomy one when my cousin was studying physical therapy in college. She had done all the Dover colouring books when she was little, so she was very happy to have something so familiar in the middle of all her hard courses.

-Nan