Menu

IEW High School Essay Intensive

Myra

Anyone doing that program and using the SAT essay prompts for practice? If so, it might be fun to post our kids' essays/responses for some of the prompts and then share them with our kids. You know, kind of like letting them see how someone else their age responded to the prompt in the 25 minute time frame -

Myra

I have my son do one of the essay prompts each Monday: selecting a prompt, write the response in the 25-minute time frame, and in his own handwriting on paper. That's to give him practice in a "real life" testing SAT situation. But........then on Tuesday, I have him type in his response in Microsoft word, check grammar & spelling, and also any revisions that he can think of to improve his response. Tuesday's work is so that he can learn from his response when he's not under pressure of writing on paper & time restraints plus I want him to actually see ways that he could have perfected his response.

Myra

I have my son do one of the essay prompts each Monday: selecting a prompt, write the response in the 25-minute time frame, and in his own handwriting on paper. That's to give him practice in a "real life" testing SAT situation. But........then on Tuesday, I have him type in his response in Microsoft word, check grammar & spelling, and also any revisions that he can think of to improve his response. Tuesday's work is so that he can learn from his response when he's not under pressure of writing on paper & time restraints plus I want him to actually see ways that he could have perfected his response.

Myra

Great idea!

• 1 month later...