Menu

Subforum organization?

Capt_Uhura

Mallory suggested a three level org which I think might work out well.

Beginning Logic stage (roughly grades 5-6)

Middle Logic Stage (roughly grades 7-8)

Late Logic Stage (roughly grades 8-9)

Of course I think it's more about placing your student where you think he or she is so we could see a 4th graders work in Beginning Logic stage, for example.

Those levels could be for just acquiring lots of different writing samples for folks to read through. I would suggest putting writing program used, lesson if applicable, did the student meet the goal, what feedback was given, how much editing was done by the student and by the parent.

Then for folks wanting specific feedback on a sample of writing, you can post a separate thread using one thread for each sample so it's easy to see the progression of a discussion and/or edits to the writing piece.

What do you all think for grammar stage?

Early grammar stage (K-2)

Late grammar stage (3-4)

Capt Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura

As SWB suggested, I think some trial and error will be needed to think this through. However, I think it would be helpful to set up threads with sample assignments from WWE 1, 2, 3 and 4, as well as threads with samples from other writing programs, so we can read samples written by other students using the same curriculum.

I would also like to read threads with narrations from science and history; perhaps the narrations for history could be subdivided by curriculum as well.

I agree that if we want feedback about a particular assignment, we should cross post the sample in a separate thread.

Edited by ELaurie

As SWB suggested, I think some trial and error will be needed to think this through. However, I think it would be helpful to set up threads with sample assignments from WWE 1, 2, 3 and 4, as well as threads with samples from other writing programs, so we can read samples written by other students using the same curriculum.

I would also like to read threads with narrations from science and history; perhaps the narrations for history could be subdivided by curriculum as well.

I agree that if we want feedback about a particular assignment, we should cross post the sample in a separate thread.

There are so many curricula choices though. I think organizing by age/stage would require fewer threads.

Those levels could be for just acquiring lots of different writing samples for folks to read through. I would suggest putting writing program used, lesson if applicable, did the student meet the goal, what feedback was given, how much editing was done by the student and by the parent.

I think it would also be helpful to include the gender of the student since girls and boys tend to polarize with writing skills.

Will those that posted samples at the Logic Stage Forum, please, please repost those here once we decide on an organization?

I saw your request to see comments on my son's essay. I'm just waiting until I know where to post it, and you'll be able to see the comments.

Would it help to see the development in a particular student? I've pondered this since I posted my ds's essay. If people saw his first essay this year and his most current one, they may be encouraged to see the huge amount of progress.

Also, since I teach a class, I have several samples from different students in the same age range completing the same assignment. That may be helpful to some parents, but I don't want to overwhelm the forum. Since many of my students email me their assignments, it's not too much trouble to post them here. I just need to get permission.

Would it help to see the development in a particular student? I've pondered this since I posted my ds's essay. If people saw his first essay this year and his most current one, they may be encouraged to see the huge amount of progress.

I'd also like to post the developement over one essay. The first very rough draft (he can't even manage to start all of his sentances with capitals :glare:), but just getting the words down is all we manange the first day. The second draft after he has used a checklist and done his own editing. And the final draft after I have helped and suggested changes.

Also, since I teach a class, I have several samples from different students in the same age range completing the same assignment. That may be helpful to some parents, but I don't want to overwhelm the forum. Since many of my students email me their assignments, it's not too much trouble to post them here. I just need to get permission.

Both of the above would be wonderful!

I love this idea and am super happy to see us folks with little ones included.

(to be clear I didn't feel excluded before but had seen you pondering this on the logic board and thought it would be cool for us too....okay glad that's all cleared up:lol:)

I think the 'early grammar' 'late grammar' is a good way to split. I also like the use of the word roughly when it comes to grades. We all know grades can be so arbitrary. That gives parents some discretion when it comes to deciding where to post.

Mallory suggested a three level org which I think might work out well.

Beginning Logic stage (roughly grades 5-6)

Middle Logic Stage (roughly grades 7-8)

Late Logic Stage (roughly grades 8-9)

Of course I think it's more about placing your student where you think he or she is so we could see a 4th graders work in Beginning Logic stage, for example.

Then for folks wanting specific feedback on a sample of writing, you can post a separate thread using one thread for each sample so it's easy to see the progression of a discussion and/or edits to the writing piece.

What do you all think for grammar stage?

Early grammar stage (K-2)

Late grammar stage (3-4)

Capt Uhura

I like the breakdown Mallory suggested to. From there I would like to see breakdown such as this within each grade level group:

1. SAMPLES

(Finished work that has gone through editing, revisions, polishing, etc. for that particular grade level.)

2. PLEASE CRITIQUE

(Student work that parent's are requesting feedback on. NOTE: There should be a clear way for the parents to bring discussion to a close when they've gotten enough.)

Then possibly a category called...

3. WORK IN PROGRESS

(A section for that grade level to showcase the progression of particular pieces that students are working on. Or, this category could alternately be placed within the SAMPLES section.)

4. TEACHER TO TEACHER

(A section for adults to discuss various aspects of teaching writing to that particular grade level.)

This type of organization would help me navigate through the options with ease and would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I like the breakdown Mallory suggested to. From there I would like to see breakdown such as this within each grade level group:

1. SAMPLES

(Finished work that has gone through editing, revisions, polishing, etc. for that particular grade level.)

2. PLEASE CRITIQUE

(Student work that parent's are requesting feedback on. NOTE: There should be a clear way for the parents to bring discussion to a close when they've gotten enough.)

3. WORK IN PROGRESS

(A section for that grade level to showcase the progression of particular pieces that students are working on. Or, this category could alternately be placed within the SAMPLES section.)

4. TEACHER TO TEACHER

(A section for adults to discuss various aspects of teaching writing to that particular grade level.)

This type of organization would help me navigate through the options with ease and would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,

Lucinda

This is getting complicated.

1. SAMPLES

2. PLEASE CRITIQUE

3. WORK IN PROGRESS

4. TEACHER TO TEACHER

Blessings,

Lucinda

I bet this would work well in the subject lines. I like the age divisions for the sub-categories. I wonder if there could be a 1st-4th, too, maybe, for younger kids whose parents want to participate?

ETA: Ooh, maybe one for moms, too! There are enough of us that like to write, that could be fun. :D

Edited by Aubrey

Guest Dulcimeramy

I would prefer posting my descriptors in the thread titles and making use of the tagging system to cluttering up this forum with a zillion categories.

In other words, why can't I just post what I want and explain what I need, being sure to do so in a way that is very searchable?

Example #1

My thread title is: CM Lit Narration, 12yob, Please Critique

My tags for the thread are: CM Narration, 12yob, critique

Example #2

My thread title is: Level Two Outline & Rewrite, 11yob, Work in Progress

My tags for the thread are: L2 Outline, 10yob, WIP

According to this method, I don't need to sit here agonizing over which place to post my writing sample. I just need to label it.

Then, someone coming along wanting samples of a 12yo boy's writing can use the search feature or search the tags.

Make a sticky for acronyms so that we label consistently.

WIP work in progress

PC please critique

CM Charlotte Mason

WWE Writing With Ease, etc.

What do you think?

Also can someone PM a moderator once an organizational structure evolves, so that we can help out?

SWB

My suggestions listed previous to this were a response to SWB's post. I personally think that having organizational structure within a forum is extremely helpful.

FWIW.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Guest Dulcimeramy
My suggestions listed previous to this were a response to SWB's post. I personally think that having organizational structure within a forum is extremely helpful.

FWIW.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda, I think I sounded critical of your ideas without having that intention! I'm sorry!

I was agreeing with Aubrey that your descriptors are very helpful but I would prefer them within the thread titles.

I am so happy about these two writing workshop forums and will cheerfully work with any style of organization.

8FilltheHeart suggested:

Instead of entitling threads by assignment and grade level, perhaps a less cumbersome method would be "type" and grade level.

For example:

3rd grade: report

3rd grade: unique story

3rd grade: re-tell story

6th grade: summary

6th grade: essay

I like that idea. Then you'd have essays that were from IEW, Bravewriter, MCT, PBW, WS, WSh all in one place.

I think grade levels are important in the subject line.

OK, if I re-title my post as:

8th grade, essay, literary response (Maybe the MCT or IEW could be right after the type of writing being posted?)

It seems like the above would be descriptive enough to draw readers looking for that type of writing.

Perhaps the "Please critique," "Work in progress" or " No comments" can be in the body of the post.

What is the purpose of this sub-forum? Maybe a statement of purpose with how to post on the sub-forum should be at the top of the forum page?

8FilltheHeart suggested:

Instead of entitling threads by assignment and grade level, perhaps a less cumbersome method would be "type" and grade level.

For example:

3rd grade: report

3rd grade: unique story

3rd grade: re-tell story

6th grade: summary

6th grade: essay

I like that idea. Then you'd have essays that were from IEW, Bravewriter, MCT, PBW, WS, WSh all in one place.

I think this is a great idea! If your open for opinions.:001_smile:

I would prefer posting my descriptors in the thread titles and making use of the tagging system to cluttering up this forum with a zillion categories.

In other words, why can't I just post what I want and explain what I need, being sure to do so in a way that is very searchable?

Example #1

Example #2

According to this method, I don't need to sit here agonizing over which place to post my writing sample. I just need to label it.

Then, someone coming along wanting samples of a 12yo boy's writing can use the search feature or search the tags.

WIP work in progress

PC please critique

CM Charlotte Mason

What do you think?

I like this idea, it'll make it very easy to click on the posts you want to look at. Plus I like having please critique in the title, that way people will be more likely to look at it even if it's not in the age range they are looking for.

Thanks again to SWB and the mods for making this a reality!

1) Identify the purpose for your post, as Lucinda suggested.

WS - Writing Sample (We could also just use an S for this, to avoid confusion with WP, below)

PC - Please Critique

WP - Work in Progress (to show progress within a single assignment, e.g. rough draft, final draft or to show a student's progress over time, e.g. WWE lesson 1 and WWE lesson 10 written by the same student)

TT - Teacher to Teacher (to discuss teaching methods, specific challenges, etc.)

2) Identify the age of your student. We could list the student's age, sex and grade level (e.g. ds10, 5th grade) or we could use Mallory's categories for early, middle and late stage logic students)

3) Identify the type of assignment. For this we can list the general category; e.g. Biography, or we can name a specific curriculum, e.g. WWE level 4.

Sample thread titles would be as follows:

WP, ds11, 5th grade, WWE Level 4

PC, Early Logic Stage, Biography

To compare writing samples of the same kind to one another, we can set up threads for those using specific curricula or doing a specific type of writing.

WS: WWE Level 1 Samples

WS: WWE Level 2 Samples, etc.

WS: SOTW 1 First Grade Narrations

WS: Creative Writing, Early Logic Stage, etc.

We can identify general questions and other topics for discussion in the subject line as usual.

These guidelines could be included in a sticky note at the top of the forum.

Too complicated?

Edited by ELaurie

Example #1

Example #2

WIP work in progress

PC please critique

CM Charlotte Mason

What do you think?

Out of all the suggestions, I find this to be the easiest to understand. :)

Someone mentioned there being a restriction on the number of tags. I believe that is a setting that can be changed.

I think this is fine too.

I don't know how to search using tags?

There is the option to search by tags after you click on the "search" button. It's below the search box that appears. There's a "tag cloud" of the most often used/searched tags and a box to type what you are searching for.

Right now, gardening is pretty popular!