Menu

What age to watch Roots?

My kids are in 4th and 5th grade and we're covering modern history this year. I've been intentionally sensitive about slavery b/c dd is half black and both kids are very uneasy about tv/movies with violence. Dh & I both agreed that they are too young to watch the Roots mini-series and was thinking maybe the next time we come through the cycle they'd be better able to handle it.

I remember watching it as a kid, probably about the age that my kids are now, but my mother always let us watch wildly inappropriate tv & movies. What's the hive's opinion on the appropriate age to watch? Is it strictly for the jr. high and older crowd, or would you let your kids watch it at my kids' age (10 yrs. old), assuming they're not overly sensitive?

We just watched it a few months ago - when our son was still 10 and daughter had just turned 12. We put it on pause a lot and discussed it a great deal.

Given what you have said, I would wait a while, but you don't need to wait too long - not necessarily for the next cycle (which, I assume you mean the next 4 years) - although that's fine also. It is a very difficult series to watch.

I can't say that it's strictly for the junior high and older crowd. It really depends on the child and how sensitive the child is.

My dc were fine. It affected them greatly, but it was very good for them.

I myself had a more difficult time with it. I always do. I don't think I can handle watching that series more than once a decade.

I think that everyone should see this series. I loved the book also and read it before ever seeing the series.