Menu

Need Help Deciding on History Illuminations, Trisms, or Oak Meadow?

I want to try something different for history next year. We have done Winter Promise and SOTW in the past. I am looking for more of an all in one curriculum...maybe everything but math. My dd is at around a 6th-7th grade level. I found several things I like, but cannot decide between them.

Bright Ideas Press Illuminations curriculum - I just found out about this one. I like how it schedules pretty much everything and like how it has choices for grammar and writing. It is kind of pricey and I am guessing it cannot be resold since it is a download. The main thing keeping me from purchasing is that there is no MOH volume 4 out yet which creates somewhat of a gap between their grade 3-8 curriculum and the high school level. My dd has not had any American history yet...don't know how that happened, so we need to get that in there somewhere between now and 9th grade. Anybody have any pros and cons for this curriculum or reasons not to use it?

Trisms - I like that it goes through high school. We would probably start with History Makers which would work well because it has an overview of history-maybe it would fill in the gaps? I know it is supposed to be independent, but just not sure how easy it would be for my dd to follow. I am also on the fence about this one because I am not sure if I like IEW for writing...I have looked at it in the past and felt confused by it all...so we would have to sub in something else which would defeat the purpose of the all in one idea, however, everything else about the curriculum I like. Anybody use this one and not like it?

Oak Meadow - It looks really good for the 6th-8th grade years just not sure how strong their grammar and literature would be. If I used it I would probably be tempted to add things to it, which might be more work than it is worth? I know a lot of people like it though...so maybe I am missing out on something good?

Anyway, need to find something my dd can be somewhat independent with. Any input on these choices is appreciated.

Illuminations is a very neat curriculum, I think it would be a god choice for the age your daughter is. The great thing about Ill. is that it not only schedules lit. readings, but it also includes literature studies (think Progeny Press) for 10-11 books in that price.

It schedules A LOT of programs, but they aren't really tied into the MOH/Lit core, they're just scheduled so you can take them or leave them :).

I can't personally speak to the others though.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I LOVE TRISMS but wasn't a huge fan of History Makers.

ETA that you don't have to use IEW. Writing is just one part of TRISMS so it's not like you aren't using a large part of it by not using IEW.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have to say it is hard to make a choice because I really like the idea of Trisms with the research and everything, but not too fond of using IEW. Cheryl, you have given me something to think about...using something else for writing. I just hope the curriculum would not be a waste of money if I did not use the writing component.

Illuminations sounds really good too and I like that it uses Writeshop (I think that is more doable for me), but it is hard to fork over money for curriculum that is not able to be resold and unfortunately I can only see samples online since they won't be at a convention where I can look at it in person.

I almost wish I could combine Trisms and Illuminations (since Trisms does not really have a history spine), but that seems like it would be overkill and then nothing would get done or maybe it would be better to wait to do Trisms when my dd is in high school and do Illuminations in the meantime?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have to say it is hard to make a choice because I really like the idea of Trisms with the research and everything, but not too fond of using IEW. Cheryl, you have given me something to think about...using something else for writing. I just hope the curriculum would not be a waste of money if I did not use the writing component.

Illuminations sounds really good too and I like that it uses Writeshop (I think that is more doable for me), but it is hard to fork over money for curriculum that is not able to be resold and unfortunately I can only see samples online since they won't be at a convention where I can look at it in person.

I almost wish I could combine Trisms and Illuminations (since Trisms does not really have a history spine), but that seems like it would be overkill and then nothing would get done or maybe it would be better to wait to do Trisms when my dd is in high school and do Illuminations in the meantime?

I am not currently using IEW and definitely do NOT feel that the curriculum is a waste of money without it :001_smile:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

What do you mean TRISMS doesn't have a history spine? You use whichever spine(s) you like. TRISMS also covers a LOT so it too would be difficult to combine. However, you can use whatever resources you wish so it is very customizable.

What do you mean TRISMS doesn't have a history spine? You use whichever spine(s) you like. TRISMS also covers a LOT so it too would be difficult to combine. However, you can use whatever resources you wish so it is very customizable.

I was just referring to the fact that it does not schedule one particular history spine like Mystery of History, etc. I realize you can schedule your own spine and other resources. I am kind of concerned that if I am allowed too many choices for books I might end up never getting from one topic to the next...which has been a problem for me in the past. Do you find that it is easy to get caught up in all the research in TRISMS and spend several weeks on what should have been done in a week? I guess my two main concerns about any curriculum I choose at this point are: 1) can my dd do it mostly on her own and 2) does it have a clear ending so that we can finish it in a year. I do like that TRISMS has choices for literature where other curriculum (such as when I used Winter Promise in the past) lock you in to certain books that may or may not appeal to you.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I was just referring to the fact that it does not schedule one particular history spine like Mystery of History, etc. I realize you can schedule your own spine and other resources. I am kind of concerned that if I am allowed too many choices for books I might end up never getting from one topic to the next...which has been a problem for me in the past. Do you find that it is easy to get caught up in all the research in TRISMS and spend several weeks on what should have been done in a week? I guess my two main concerns about any curriculum I choose at this point are: 1) can my dd do it mostly on her own and 2) does it have a clear ending so that we can finish it in a year. I do like that TRISMS has choices for literature where other curriculum (such as when I used Winter Promise in the past) lock you in to certain books that may or may not appeal to you.

1) I have not had that problem. If you want, you can limit the number the number of resources/spines you use. Mystery of History is one of the spines I use. I don't think I will use it with my younger children but only because they will be using MOH during their 1st five year history cycle in elementary/middle school (MOH wasn't around when my older children were in elementary/middle school).

2) What do you mean by does it have a clear ending? There are 18 units (in the high school volumes), which if you want to dedicate the same amount of time to them will take 2 weeks each. There are specific questionnaires/worksheets/maps/etc assigned for each unit as well as literature/composition/etc assignments, which you will complete for each area you are studying during that 2 week period. How you choose to schedule them is up to you. There isn't a "do this on this day" kind of schedule. I usually have my students do the vocabulary on the first day, listen to lectures/audio (King's Meadow, Diana Waring, etc), read through texts, etc for the first week, and then have them start on the written work the second week (where they expand what they have been hearing/watching/reading).

1) I have not had that problem. If you want, you can limit the number the number of resources/spines you use. Mystery of History is one of the spines I use. I don't think I will use it with my younger children but only because they will be using MOH during their 1st five year history cycle in elementary/middle school (MOH wasn't around when my older children were in elementary/middle school).

2) What do you mean by does it have a clear ending? There are 18 units (in the high school volumes), which if you want to dedicate the same amount of time to them will take 2 weeks each. There are specific questionnaires/worksheets/maps/etc assigned for each unit as well as literature/composition/etc assignments, which you will complete for each area you are studying during that 2 week period. How you choose to schedule them is up to you. There isn't a "do this on this day" kind of schedule. I usually have my students do the vocabulary on the first day, listen to lectures/audio (King's Meadow, Diana Waring, etc), read through texts, etc for the first week, and then have them start on the written work the second week (where they expand what they have been hearing/watching/reading).

I like that you incorporated MOH into the curriculum...was not sure if that was doable or not. I would think it would be easier to incorporate starting from DAW rather than HM, since HM covers a lot of ground in one year...is that how you used it?

What I meant by clear ending is that I have seen the samples online and I would be concerned that my dd might be tempted to spend too much time on one particular topic without finishing all the assignments. From your explanation, it is beginning to make a little more sense now. I like how you split up the work into two weeks...I can definitely see that working. It just makes sense to research the first week and produce the product (written work, etc) on the second week. I may consider going ahead and ordering History Makers and looking it over since it can be returned within 30 days. I am sure seeing it in person would help me make a better decision.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I like that you incorporated MOH into the curriculum...was not sure if that was doable or not. I would think it would be easier to incorporate starting from DAW rather than HM, since HM covers a lot of ground in one year...is that how you used it?

What I meant by clear ending is that I have seen the samples online and I would be concerned that my dd might be tempted to spend too much time on one particular topic without finishing all the assignments. From your explanation, it is beginning to make a little more sense now. I like how you split up the work into two weeks...I can definitely see that working. It just makes sense to research the first week and produce the product (written work, etc) on the second week. I may consider going ahead and ordering History Makers and looking it over since it can be returned within 30 days. I am sure seeing it in person would help me make a better decision.

Yes, it really is only doable to add MOH to the high school curriculum. The focus of History Makers is different (scientist, inventions, explorers) and moves through history so fast that you would be hard pressed to use any spine unless it too is a general overview. I MUCH prefer the high school volumes. I don't care for HM's focus or speed, which is why I will be using it with MOH and VP History Cards to create a 5 year elementary/middle school history cycle instead of using it as intended.

To help with my scheduling, and so I don't forget to use a resource, I have made schedules for each unit listing the resources I will be using. Some units have more resources than others so I schedule the amount of time we spend on each unit based on how many resources we will be using as well as the students interest. For instance, we have MANY resources for the Roman Empire so we spent 3 weeks on it instead of 2, a lot fewer resources for the Maya so we spent 1 week on it instead of 2, and my ds's favorite period in history is the Medieval time period so we are spending more time on it and a little less on others.

I'm using MOH with History Makers, BUT I am spreading it over 3 years. My son LOVES the questionnaires in Trisms. I think if you want to do history Makers in one year, you should use a more condensed spine like the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia or Streams of Civilization.

My 2 cents worth.

Kim

Thanks for the info Kim...I just looked in our history books and we happen to have Kingfisher History Encyclopedia so that might be useful if we decide to go the 1 year route. I am going to go check out MOH at Mardel tonight (the only homeschooling store we have) and see if I want to use that and maybe spread out HM over a few years like you suggested. Do you know if anyone has made a schedule that shows how to line up MOH with TRISMS?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thanks for the info Kim...I just looked in our history books and we happen to have Kingfisher History Encyclopedia so that might be useful if we decide to go the 1 year route. I am going to go check out MOH at Mardel tonight (the only homeschooling store we have) and see if I want to use that and maybe spread out HM over a few years like you suggested. Do you know if anyone has made a schedule that shows how to line up MOH with TRISMS?

I have but only for the high school volumes; I haven't worked on History Makers yet.

ETA that it's not difficult because they are both chronological. Where you would run into trouble with History Makers is that MOH won't have their 4th volume out for quite a while yet so it would end a fair way through HM. You would also skip a lot of MOH because little time is spent in Ancients in HM.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

I have but only for the high school volumes; I haven't worked on History Makers yet.

ETA that it's not difficult because they are both chronological. Where you would run into trouble with History Makers is that MOH won't have their 4th volume out for quite a while yet so it would end a fair way through HM. You would also skip a lot of MOH because little time is spent in Ancients in HM.

I know, that MOH dilemma makes things even more confusing and they will not even have MOH 4 available for another 2-3 years or more...what's a mom to do?!! Sometimes I wish I could freeze time so my dd would not get older and into high school before they finished all this great curriculum that is coming out...drives me crazy.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I know, that MOH dilemma makes things even more confusing and they will not even have MOH 4 available for another 2-3 years or more...what's a mom to do?!! Sometimes I wish I could freeze time so my dd would not get older and into high school before they finished all this great curriculum that is coming out...drives me crazy.

LOL, I hear you!

It bothers me a lot that MOH 4 won't be out for awhile. When we get to that point, I'm planning to finish off History Makers and making U.S. History my focus that year. I'm using the old version of HM, so I took the separate IEW writing lessons for American history and put them aside for now. This way I will have the writing lessons, and can make 8th grade my U.S. History year. When I get to that point ( if MOH 4 isn't available), I'm planning to use this to flesh it out http://www.amazon.com/What-Everyone-Should-About-Century/dp/1580620663

As for scheduling, We do HM two days a week, and MOH 3 days a week. My son does one column ( up and down) each day. Example: He would do the Scientist Questionnaire and the vocabulary in one day.

Since HM's focus is on Inventors, Scientist and Explorers, I haven't worried about every week lining up perfectly.

I made a 12 week term planner from using the template here http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/p/downloads.html

I typed in his subjects and on the back I put his reading list for the term.

I hope I helped you in some small way!

Kim

Thanks Kim that was a tremendous help. All the info on this thread has really helped me to see how to use TRISMS. I have no idea what I will end up using for American History because we have neglected that area a bit, but might consider All American History. There may even be something new out by then...so I guess I will worry about that when we get there.

BTW Kim, do you find it confusing using the older version of History Makers. I would love to save money and get an older edition, but just was not sure if the newer version is easier for the teacher to understand or just more updated

I'm considering using All American History as well. I've been debating back and forth. We have sadly neglected U.S. History also. I've been pondering doing AAH 1 next year, in addition to MOH 2 and Trisms...lol I am insane.:) Maybe we will do AAH 1 over the summer.My son is really enjoying his "new" history course though.

As for the editions of HM, I never used the "new" version, so I couldn't tell you how different it is. In my version, the science, poetry and grammar assignments are in a different sections. For example,Grammar 1-b ( listed on the lesson plans grid), I have to flip to the grammar section to read the actual assignment. I use the post it stick on tabs to label the sections, so it works like a binder. I have read that in the new version, all of that has been consolidated to one page and the reading lists updated. Since I am using it in addition to my other curricula...it doesn't bother me. I use the Trisms book list in addition to Ambleside Online. My dh wants our son to read the classics as well as the scheduled books for history.

At this point I am not doing any of the Grammar assignments, I plan to do them all in 8th grade as a refresher before high school. I can't believe that I am planning out high school!!:tongue_smilie:

Have fun!

Kim

I'm considering using All American History as well. I've been debating back and forth. We have sadly neglected U.S. History also. I've been pondering doing AAH 1 next year, in addition to MOH 2 and Trisms...lol I am insane.:) Maybe we will do AAH 1 over the summer.My son is really enjoying his "new" history course though.

As for the editions of HM, I never used the "new" version, so I couldn't tell you how different it is. In my version, the science, poetry and grammar assignments are in a different sections. For example,Grammar 1-b ( listed on the lesson plans grid), I have to flip to the grammar section to read the actual assignment. I use the post it stick on tabs to label the sections, so it works like a binder. I have read that in the new version, all of that has been consolidated to one page and the reading lists updated. Since I am using it in addition to my other curricula...it doesn't bother me. I use the Trisms book list in addition to Ambleside Online. My dh wants our son to read the classics as well as the scheduled books for history.

At this point I am not doing any of the Grammar assignments, I plan to do them all in 8th grade as a refresher before high school. I can't believe that I am planning out high school!!:tongue_smilie:

Have fun!

Kim

Don't worry...we are all insane on WTM!! Thanks again for all the info.

Just as a bit of an FYI, Illuminations is actually doing the two years of AAH before it does MOH IV in it's chronological plan. Another idea of how to do things chronologically.

That does give me more to think about. I don't know what the timeline is for Illuminations to come out with years 4-6. If years 4 and 5 would be out soon (within the next year to year and a half) to go with AAH then I might want to fit that in as well. Maybe do History Makers for a year then do AAH with Illuminations for a year or 2 and then come back to either TRISMS or Illuminations whichever I decide on for high school and use MOH at that time. Why cannot anyone make the perfect curriculum that I cannot tweak, ha, ha?!!