Menu

Disconcerting article on bullying

Here is a disturbing article on bullying:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/14/web-of-popularity-weaved-by-bullying/?hpw

Maybe I am wrong but it makes schools sound like Lord of the Flies:svengo: It also makes me want to not send my ds to schools because of this. OTOH I agree that not all schools are bad and many kids are good kids. MY ds even attends a small school right which is great.

OTOH this reminds me of the book on the negative consequences of peer pressure and of keeping your kids close. It was a great book and talked about how peer pressure did not have as much influence prior to the 1950s or so. It also talks about the negative influence peer pressure can have:( I recall in my school days either being bullied or witnessing horrible bullying. Plus I recall the peer pressure which was really negative in many cases.

http://www.amazon.com/Hold-Your-Kids-Parents-Matter/dp/0375760288/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297793318&sr=8-1

My 2 cents:)

Right there with you. I'm a Gordon Neufeld fan too.

The article suggests that teens need to be a part of the solution. I'm not so sure about that. Teens are still learning and developing. It seems unfair to expect them to curb anti-social behavior and police each other. That is the job of the adults who are legally responsible for these minors. Perhaps the real problem is a paucity of adult role models providing guidance and supervision.