Menu

How are you fulfilling the Fine Arts credit?

What method or program are you using?

My daughter hates art, and has no desire to play an instrument [for music] and has no interest in drama so we were stuck for awhile. She enjoys photography so we talked to her umbrella school and they will gladly accept that as fine arts. :)

Both of my two older children were involved with a local community theater which produces plays and musicals that usually are original. Also, my children were allowed to give input into the script and music of one of the productions, so their involvement with drama was more than just acting. Because of this and because their involvement included a number of productions (not just one), I felt justified in giving each of them a year's credit in fine arts. (They also took the occasional voice class and, more consistently, a dance class, but I felt that those alone wouldn't have justified a year of fine arts credit.)

Performing Arts: ER studied music history as part of our TRISMS studies. For practical application, he is the leader of our church's praise band; he sings & plays piano & guitar (acoustic & electric & sometimes bass). He took piano lessons and studied music theory, and participates in All-State Choir & Orchestra and in our community choir. He also participated in the local community theater for youth. They've performed a wide range of plays, from modern comedy sketches to musicals to scenes from Shakespeare.

Visual Arts: ER took an art class a couple of years ago, just for fun. He has also studied the history of art & architecture as part of our TRISMS studies.

so for my oldest, that will count as her fine arts credit. She was also accepted into the St. Louis Children's Choir last year, but we had to drop out due to health problems my husband had in the fall.

With their teacher, they do study classical music and music theory, so I feel that this is of sufficient quality to count as a fine arts credit.

HTH!

DS is very involved in the arts, so this has not been difficult for us. In our case it has been harder to decide which activities and studies to count for credit and which to count as extracurricular. We can fulfill them either by taking formal instruction or by counting hours of participation. You must have a minimum of 120 hours to earn a credit with our school.

He takes piano lessons that include theory. Since he is considering a minor in music, or at least trying to get some scholarship money out of it, we decided to count it as a credit each year. His teacher is very well respected and will write letters of recommendation for him too.

He has been involved in the school's theater program for the past two years (he is a Jr. this year). They do one major production and run an improv. class as well. We counted it as an elective credit last year, but as an extracurricular this year. If he does it again next year, it will be as extra curricular again.

He does Irish Step Dancing both as a student and as a member of a performing troupe, we could count this as p.e. if we needed to, but we don't, so it is extracurricular.

He has taken drawing and water color print making as courses through the oversight academy. Next year he hopes to take a stained glass course through a private tutor. He would like to take another class at the academy, but I feel like he won't have the time next year because he will have a class at the CC in calculus. I want him to be careful that he doesn't overload.

Hope this helps a little

Neither of my older kids were interested in "fine arts" per se, even though dd is going into art conservation! (Both kids did extensive fifing and drumming, but we didn't give that academic credit.)

So we did music theory. We bought the software that the PAH AP music theory courses uses, and both kids worked their way through that. Short, sweet, and simple. (1/2 credit)

Ds did a year and a half of guitar (with Dad, but he's a "real" teacher). He did a chronological study of music history with two different books this year--it involved reading Gift of Music, Spiritual Lives of the Great Composers, a rather lame Usborne book, a book that has a cd and is narrated by Kevin Kline (name escapes me), and on line listening.