Menu

Was your dad for or against pierced ears? When did you get your ears pierced?

My dad was against because the thought made him queasy. I was in the 3rd grade and I got them done at the mall. Total suprise to me I was convinced I would have to wait even when mother told someone I was getting my ears done I didn't know what she was talking about.

I have two older sisters. My oldest sister (13 years older than me) took me and my little sister when we were 8 and 10. We tried to hide it from my dad, who, of course, noticed right away.

He wasn't really that mad. He just said he could have done it for free! lol!

I'm not sure why he was opposed. My mom finally got her's pierced when she was 68 (with his blessing).

My dad was neutral regarding my mother's ears, but he was against piercing my ears until age 13. I have no idea why he thought 13 was an acceptable age, but that was his decision. However, mine were actually pierced at the age of 11 when my mom, my mom's best friend and my aunt (dad's sister) took me shopping one day. Dad was fine with it in the end. I think he was simply reluctant for me to grow up, and to him, this was a part of "growing up."

Lisa

I don't know that my dad had much of an opinion on it. I think I was in second grade. My mom worked in a dental lab at the time and brought home some topical anesthetic, rubbed it on my ears, got an ice cube and a big old diaper pin and pierced them herself. :ohmy: (Yeah, literally a diaper pin from my baby days.)

That set the precedent, I guess, because I did my five additional piercings on my own with regular earrings... twice through the cartilage.

I did, however, allow a professional to pierce my navel. :001_rolleyes:

... I don't think my parents had any opinion on the subject. It just never interested me to have it done until I was an adult. Now, I have pierced ears, and I sometimes wear earrings when my husband and I go out on a date (like, once every two months!), but I have twin 16 month old daughters who pull at everything, so I don't wear earrings much these days.

But obviously that didn't stop my dm. I had mine done when I was 12 or 13. They had pretty much grown over by the time I was 33. Some of my dd had them done when they were younger and have let them grow over already, some haven't even had it done yet.

I don't think it occurred to my dad to have an opinion on the matter.

I had mine done at 14, but I think that was 'cause that was when I finally mustered the courage to do it. My sister got hers done younger.

I didn't ask dh before I let dd get her ears pierced, 'cause I didn't think it was a big deal. He didn't seem distressed afterwards, so I must not have misjudged too terribly. ;)

My dad had said I had to be 13yo before he would consider it. I begged and pleaded at 12yo and he allowed it. Now for the fun part, my mom's boss' wife did it the way the did in her native country - with a potato, a needle and a shot of some alcohol, maybe rum, to take the edge off. It was painful but doable, until infection set in and stayed awhile. I ended up letting my holes close and tried it again a few years later. That time I went to the doctor's office and they used the quick-click gun. Much easier and less painful with no infection. My only complaint is he didn't line up my holes exactly right but probably no one else notices.

My dh and I also told our oldest dd she had to be 13 before she could pierce her ears. Our reasoning for that is that it is a permanent, if minor, change to your body and you should be old enough to take that into consideration before making the choice. She's 13 now and so far has opted not to have her ears pierced.

I do not think he was "against" it but I did have to wait until I was 16. My grandmother was outspokenly against it and promoted clip-ons, yet she didn't get mad when I had it done (at 16).

added: I haven't wore any earrings in years either...

... I don't think my parents had any opinion on the subject. It just never interested me to have it done until I was an adult. Now, I have pierced ears, and I sometimes wear earrings when my husband and I go out on a date (like, once every two months!), but I have twin 16 month old daughters who pull at everything, so I don't wear earrings much these days.

Same here. I did not getmy ears pierced until adulthood. Even now, I seldom wear earrings unless it is a special outing.

Both my parents were against it but I didn't ask their opinion. My ears were pierced with a safety pin. Let me tell you - "numbing" the area with ice doesn't really work. All the boys in the boys' dorm were crowded around the windows of the girls' dorm watching it being done. I couldn't even flinch - we were big on not showing any weakness! My ears got horribly infected - I got hypoallergenic posts, disinfected them religiously etc. - I finally just let them close up. I have two really nice scars on my ears now!

Mine was against it. He said I had to wait until I was 16, and when I turned 16 I heard you could get gangrene if the piercings got infected, so I didn't get them pierced then. By the time I got past that fear I didn't want them pierced anymore, so I never did get them pierced and I'm 27 now.

Guest Virginia Dawn

My dad would say, "You already have five wholes in your head, you don't need two more." My mom backed him up, because she didn't have pierced ears either. I think that was the way they grew up.

Anyway, when I left home, a friend did them for me with an ice cube and needle. It hurt like the dickens. My friend, who had said it would be sooo easy, she had even done her grandmothers, told me I had tough ear lobes. :bigear: She had to wrestle the needle through my ear.

Now I usually only where earrings for church and occasions.

P.S. My mom got hers done within a year after she found out I did mine.

but it was because of church beliefs. Now that I'm grown and have changed churches, I still don't like the idea, and haven't allowed my dds to have their ears pierced. I don't mind clip-ons or other jewelry. I just don't want to do anything permanent to my body. I want my dds to be adults when they make permanent decisions like that.

(I know -- I'm dreadfully old-fashoned!)

My dad was neutral regarding my mother's ears, but he was against piercing my ears until age 13. I have no idea why he thought 13 was an acceptable age, but that was his decision. However, mine were actually pierced at the age of 11 when my mom, my mom's best friend and my aunt (dad's sister) took me shopping one day. Dad was fine with it in the end. I think he was simply reluctant for me to grow up, and to him, this was a part of "growing up."

Lisa

Lisa,

This was the situation in my house, too. When I was a kid, Dad (and Mom) set a somewhat arbitrary age of 13 as the required age. "13" was the age b/c they thought I would be old enough/mature enough to take care of them after piercing. It was also about "growing up." In our area of the US in the 70s, little girls didn't often get their ears pierced. Some families had their baby daughter's ears pierced, but most of my friends' families didn't do that. Only teens/adults had pierced ears. So, "getting your ears pierced" was a mark of growing up. It was a rite of passage, as was wearing a bra for the first time, that happened when you were maturing.

For my daughters, I didn't think it was necessary to wait for an arbitrary age, and it was no longer unusual for little girls (or boys, for that matter) to have pierced ears. I just waited until I thought they could handle the care while the ears healed. DD#1 was ten when we let her pierce her ears. I would have let her do it when she was younger, but she was too frightened to do it, so I left it up to her to decide when she was ready.

DD#2 came home from India at age 8 with pierced ears. The holes were very oddly placed, though, (too high and too close to the ear canal by American standards), so we let her re-pierce them in a more centered place on the earlobes. She was 10 when we let her do it.

DH had very little opinion about when/if the ear piercing happened. He deferred to my wishes. ;-)

Lisa

I wonder about the ages of those of us responding that Dad didn't have much say...

My dad-in-the-house had no opinion one way or the other, and if he had, it was what my mother told him it was, whether that was what he originally thought or not. *sigh*

My mom did mine when I was 6, going on 7. We went to the home of a friend of hers, and I was very upset because my only knowledge of the process came from Grease. We know how that worked out for poor Sandy. Anyway, I sat on the barstool, anticipating a needle of some sort, and then I saw the woman pull out the gun. I SCREAMED, knocked over the stool and ran away crying and flailing and completely terrified. I *really, really* thought she was going to shoot a hole in my ear, then stick an earring in it. (Which, I suppose she did, but I was thinking bullet.)

My mother tells that story with glee. I get a little faint, and over the years that woman has morphed from an overweight beautician to Clint Eastwood in my mind.

But my dad-out-of-the-house thought it was fine, but wouldn't have fought my mother if he hadn't, either.

My dh was only concerned that our dds be old enough to take care of them and express a desire to have them. They each did, around 7-10, so they both have pierced ears but rarely wear earrings. :rolleyes:

When I was in 2nd grade and I was visiting my dad, I told him it was okay with my mom. I had never asked her. When I got back to my mom's, I told her dad said it was okay. Ah, nothing like kids of divorced parents!

My dh is somewhat opposed to it for our girls, but I think he will defer to my judgement. I would let my girls do it ideally at 12 or 13, if they chose to, but I would also consider it earlier. The problem I do have is that the rule of no dangling earrings seems to fall by the wayside so quickly. It gets to be a slippery slope, so I am trying to stick with the 12 or 13 rule. :tongue_smilie:

My father didn't have any opinions on ear piercing that I know of.

My MOTHER, however, did! She was a real feminist, and she thought it was awful of women to put holes in their ears just to make themselves attractive to men!

I got married at 22 and promptly got my ears pierced. I haven't worn earrings much lately -- too busy to deal with that -- but I have enjoyed being able to wear earrings for dress occasions.

Daddy's grandmother died of blood poisoning directly related to her ear piercings, so he was not happy when my mom and I got our ears pierced when I was 9. He got over it.

Amyable, mine also freaked out when I got my standard college double piercings, but by the time I got my third one in my left ear, he just rolled his eyes and snapped at me, "I guess if one is good, 100 is better!"

After years of not wearing the second and third earrings, I had the piercings re-done a few weeks ago. I'm nearly 40 years old and have no intention of telling Daddy! :leaving:

Lisa,

DH had very little opinion about when/if the ear piercing happened. He deferred to my wishes. ;-)Lisa

:D My dh also defers to my wishes concerning ears & other "daughter" issues. I think he would definitely voice his opinion if he felt strongly about something, but, so far, we haven't had an issue like that.

Lisa

My dad was against; he finally relented and let me get my ears pierced just before I turned 15. Then, oddly enough, he went with me when I went for another piercing on one ear, a year later!

He didn't react positively, however, when my dds got their ears pierced at ages 4 & 7.

My dad was opposed when I was younger. I think I started wanting to have them done in about 2nd and 3rd grade. When my sister and I would ask - he'd say, "Sure, get me a potato and a needle." Or "Ok, where's the hole puncher." His way of saying no. My sister and I finally got them done when we were in 5th or 6th grade. I think we went to JCPenney.

Interesting cultural thing, in second grade which was probably in the last years of busing in kids to desegregate the schools, there were a few girls who had loops of thread in their ears, because this was the way their culture pierced ears. I wonder if people still do that? I imagine not.

Dh didn't have an opinion when dd had hers pierced at 6 yo. (But he grew up with 3 sisters.) In fact, he didn't seem to have an opinion when I informed him that if we had a baby girl with no hair, and if everyone thought she was a boy, that I would have her ears pierced as an infant.

My parents were both completely against pierced ears. It was terrible (in my mind), because I would get beautiful pierced earrings from friends for my birthday every year, and I could never wear them. But you know... their house, their rules.

I got my ears done when I was 19, and had them double pierced (to make up for lost time?). LOL. My mom is still scandalized that my ears are not only pierced, but double pierced.

Then shortly after, I got my 1st tattoo... then a belly piercing... then another tat... ;)

My parents were also against: nail polish, hair color... they gave me all kinds of trouble for shaving even. (At first. They got over it.)

After I had kids, I stopped wearing dangle-y earrings, but I wear tiny sparkly studs all the time. They don't get in the way.

ETA: My DH is completely opposite. He has no problem with the kids (We have 4 including my step-dd) getting their ears pierced... my 18 yo step-dd and my 11yo have theirs double pierced. They did that together- it was a sister bonding moment. Each time the girls have gotten their ears pierced for the first time, DH goes with them and gets an earring too. So far, my youngest has decided against it, so DH has 3 piercings- 2 in one ear and 1 in the other.)

Or at least, if he did, I didn't know it. I got mine done at 8 because my mom wanted our pediatrician to do it, and we were getting ready to move across country.

My dh never really expressed a care with our older two dds, so I got them done when I took them on vacation (with grammy) to Mall of America. My dd (then 2) really wanted them- to the point of stopping in every store begging for earrings, and her older sister (then 4) wasn't too sure, but I convinced her with a lollipop :D

When dd#3 came along, I decided I wanted to get hers done a lot earlier. Dh wasn't thrilled, but relented, saying "I just don't want to be there". So, last summer when she was six months old, and I was in Florida (once again, with grammy ;) ) we got them done.

I don't think he cares now, but he never gets involved with any of the care. Which is fine with me- :tongue_smilie:

I got mine pierced sometime as a late teen. I got one of them double pierced in college (Mom didn't like that). I got the other one done as an adult after a very, very bad day at work.

I'm not letting dd8 get her's pierced until she's 16, as a right of passage.

Call me old fashioned. I like saving some things.

I don't think it even occurred to my dad to give piercing a moment's thought. But we weren't talking anything radical, either.

Neither of my parents wanted me to get pierced ears. Most of the time it didn't bother me, but I felt really lousy at dance recital time. All of the other girls had pierced ears and we were even told what type of earrings to wear for the performance. I was the only girl without earrings at the show.

I ended up getting my ears pierced at the mall all by my lonesome when I was old enough to have them done without parental consent, at around 14 or 15, I think.

Guest Shanna

I got mine done when I was 5. He didnt care he was there when they were done. My mom went into labor at the mall right afterwards. So I know exactly what day they were done.

My dad was against because the thought made him queasy. I was in the 3rd grade and I got them done at the mall. Total suprise to me I was convinced I would have to wait even when mother told someone I was getting my ears done I didn't know what she was talking about.

My dad left stuff like that up to my mom. I think I was in 5th or 6th grade.

My dad didn't care, but I had to wait until 13. For some reason, my dh has a strong opinion and doesn't want 11yodd to get them until she is 16!!! I think that is toooooo long to wait, but I'm OK to wait until she is 13. She went through a period where she really wanted them and now she doesn't care too much. I can't imagine why he has an opinion on this (of course, he has opinions on most things.:001_smile:)

My dad didn't care, but I had to wait until 13. For some reason, my dh has a strong opinion and doesn't want 11yodd to get them until she is 16!!! I think that is toooooo long to wait, but I'm OK to wait until she is 13. She went through a period where she really wanted them and now she doesn't care too much. I can't imagine why he has an opinion on this (of course, he has opinions on most things.:001_smile:)

My guess would be that he doesn't want her to grow up. My dh says that he thanks God daily that we only have boys because he would be a mess if we had a daughter. My dh also has an opinion on everything. He says that I get to decorate the house but I don't really. Everything needs to be run by him because of his strong opinions. Fortunately or unfortunately I have strong opinions too. ;)

Lisa

Heh. I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 13 either; I don't know that it was my dad's rule, or if that's what my parents decided. I don't remember him having an opinion. My mom has pierced ears, but neither of my grandmothers did. Somethings about adding more holes to their heads when unnecessary, LOL.

Anyway, I do recall that when they were going to let my sister get her ears pierced when she was younger than 13, I pitched a fit because it was NOT FAIR. She may have been more responsible that I was. I did not care. So I think they made her wait.

Aren't you glad I'm not your older sister? :lol:

I have a friend who got her girls' ears pierced when they were infants, because they wouldn't remember the pain. She said she found it fairly easy to care for them. I wish I'd thought of that, but too late now, so we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Neither of my girls has asked, so I am not going to broach the subject at this point.

my dad was against. He though only "lose women" would have such things. My mom took me in 8th grade - along with all the other girls and their moms in my class - to get our ears pierced. Mine promptly got infected and I had to let them close up. I pierced them several more times then finally realized I had a nickel allergy. No more problems until this past Feb when I started getting an irritation in one earring site. Strange

My dad didn't really mind. I got it done when I turned 8.

Of course, I have 2 girls now and they both had theirs pierced when they were babies and don't know any different. They healed just fine and enjoy wearing earrings now.

Growing up my dad was a pastor or seminary prof in a church organization that viewed jewelry as sin so of course ear piercing was taboo. I had mine done at 26 after much thought and prayer and reading a bit about grace :) Dh used to buy me a pair of Lapis (my fav stone) European backed earrings every year until I had just way to many and 9/11 and life simplified our life style. So when I get dressed up I usually wear one of my Lapis otherwise I just wear gold ball posts :D Thats about as far as I get in the area of conspicuous consumption ;)