Menu

Sudden hand and arm weakness

All morning I have had this arm and hand weakness thing on my right side. So much so, that I had trouble lifting my arm to my face to do my makeup. I also had trouble holding my makeup brushes with my hand. There isn't pain or numbness, just extreme weakness.

Would you be concerned enough to go to the doctor? Or would you wait and see if it goes away or gets worse over a few days? I've never had this happen before.

Thanks. :bigear:

edited to say: after writing this, I was remembering that yesterday I was holding a wooden spoon in my right hand, and stirring vigorously for quite some time. Could that cause this kind of muscle weakness?? Seems strange that something like that could cause such an extreme reaction.

Edited by abbie5

:iagree:Weakness on one side can be a sign of a stroke:( I would go now to the ER IMHO as a RN.

Did you see my edit to the post? That I had used my arm in mixing with a spoon yesterday? Would that change your opinion? Could something like that cause extreme muscle weakness? Thanks!!

edited to say: after writing this, I was remembering that yesterday I was holding a wooden spoon in my right hand, and stirring vigorously for quite some time. Could that cause this kind of muscle weakness?? Seems strange that something like that could cause such an extreme reaction.

Yes, or you could have slept on it (it is called Sunday morning paralysis after passing out on it all night), but it could also be a "cerebral vascular event". I don't know your risk factors, but I would seek help. I don't want to be alarmist .... I'm sure there is a poster here who will do that for me. :001_smile: and I hope this is something simple.

From Mayo clinic:

In some cases, numbness in hands is associated with life-threatening diseases, such as a stroke. Get emergency medical help if your hand numbness:

• Begins suddenly
  • Involves a whole arm
  • Is accompanied by weakness or paralysis, confusion, difficulty talking, dizziness, or a sudden, severe headache

Please let us know you are going to ER. I don't even know you and I am worried about you!

From Mayo clinic:

In some cases, numbness in hands is associated with life-threatening diseases, such as a stroke. Get emergency medical help if your hand numbness:

• Begins suddenly

• Involves a whole arm

• Is accompanied by weakness or paralysis, confusion, difficulty talking, dizziness, or a sudden, severe headache

Please let us know you are going to ER. I don't even know you and I am worried about you!

It doesn't feel numb at all though. Just very weak. Like, it's heavy, and I have a hard time lifting it (holding a phone for instance is difficult).

Yes, or you could have slept on it (it is called Sunday morning paralysis after passing out on it all night), but it could also be a "cerebral vascular event". I don't know your risk factors, but I would seek help. I don't want to be alarmist .... I'm sure there is a poster here who will do that for me. :001_smile: and I hope this is something simple.

I would trust kalanamak's assessment on this one--I think she's quite level headed, and if she told me to seek help for something like this I would.

From WebMD which is a reliable:

If you have symptoms of a stroke, seek emergency medical care. General symptoms of a stroke include:

Sudden numbness, tingling, weakness, or paralysis in your face, arm, or leg, especially on only one side of your body.

Sudden vision changes.

Sudden trouble speaking.

Sudden confusion or trouble understanding simple statements.

Sudden problems with walking or balance.

A sudden, severe headache that is different from past headaches.

Symptoms can vary depending on whether the stroke is caused by a blood clot (ischemic stroke) or bleeding (hemorrhagic stroke), where the stroke occurs in the brain, and how bad it is.

A stroke usually happens suddenly but may occur over hours. For example, you may have mild weakness at first. Over time, you may not be able to move the arm and leg on one side of your body.

If several smaller strokes occur over time, you may have a more gradual change in walking, balance, thinking, or behavior (multi-infarct dementia).

It is not always easy for people to recognize symptoms of a small stroke. They may mistakenly think the symptoms can be attributed to aging, or the symptoms may be confused with those of other conditions that cause similar symptoms.

I would think overuse of a muscle as in stirring would just cause achiness and soreness and not weakness.

You can get this before the soreness. I've gotten a few times in my right forearm and hand after a prolonged, new activity that involved a lot of grasping. But I was young, very low risk, and feel generally "lucky", and I figured it if it was a popped aneurysm, I'd get worse fast.

It could have a totally benign explanation. But I have heard personal experiences where stroke started off with symptoms like yours and progressed to the point where the person was unable to speak to request help rapidly. If you are home alone with the kids I would ask for another adult's assistance while I arranged seeing a dr. There is a window of time with stroke where medications can make a huge difference. If there is a different explanation I know it is a huge pain to get to the ER--but in this case it seems far better to err on the side of caution.

This happened to my mom, and she did gradually get worse until she could barely move. She was blaming it on the flu going around. She had hit her head six weeks prior and had bleeding in her brain (subdural hematoma) and didn't even know it.

Have you hit your head in recent weeks? On the left side by any chance?

I had something similar happen to me a few months back. Turned out I had Lymes Disease. Never had the rash, never saw a tick, just the sore arm. I couldn't even pick up a q-tip it hurt so much. The pain lessened, but the next day I started getting tingly and numb in my hands, arms and face and it would come and go throughout the day. That was the only symptom I ever had.

Not sure what part of the country you are in but it may be worth getting checked out if you are in a high risk area.

I hope that everything checked out at the Doctor's office.

I have that happen when I have a pinched nerve in my neck...it compresses something and it makes my hand shaky in certain positions. I find the harder I try to hold on to something the weaker my grasp. It goes away in a few hours, and always starts right when I wake up.

For me it was a pinched nerve. For my uncle it was a brain issue. Lots of causes I won't list. I'm glad you went in and I hope it was something like a pinched nerve.

I had a pinched nerve too (and a neural defect in my spine I had no idea I had--foraminal stenosis). A couple visits to the chiro and my arm strength was back to 100%. I hope it's nothing serious! (((HUGS))) Please KUP!

You can get this before the soreness. I've gotten a few times in my right forearm and hand after a prolonged, new activity that involved a lot of grasping. But I was young, very low risk, and feel generally "lucky", and I figured it if it was a popped aneurysm, I'd get worse fast.

Well ladies, it turns out it was just from stirring with the spoon the day before!! UGH. I feel so badly posting now as I feel quite stupid! I did make an appt. with my doctor that day (afternoon appt). But as the morning progressed, I noticed my hand and arm started feeling sore and more sore. At that point I determined that it was from the stirring, so I canceled my appt. I've never had that weakness thing happen before so I have to say I was quite alarmed and stumped. I think it's really, really strange that my arm and hand would react like that to such mild exertion. Sunday, the soreness was quite intense. It still has me a little baffled. :confused:

I appreciate everyone's responses!

Well ladies, it turns out it was just from stirring with the spoon the day before!! UGH. I feel so badly posting now as I feel quite stupid! I did make an appt. with my doctor that day (afternoon appt). But as the morning progressed, I noticed my hand and arm started feeling sore and more sore. At that point I determined that it was from the stirring, so I canceled my appt. I've never had that weakness thing happen before so I have to say I was quite alarmed and stumped. I think it's really, really strange that my arm and hand would react like that to such mild exertion. Sunday, the soreness was quite intense. It still has me a little baffled. :confused:

I appreciate everyone's responses!

Glad you are OK!

That's the "day after the day after" syndrome. Unusual exertion sometimes hurts more on the 2nd day after than the 1st.