Menu

Anything like Minimus, but in Greek?

Dmmetler

We're finishing up SSG, and my DD wants to know if there's anything "Like Minimus, but in Greek" that we can do before GfC-she's done LfC with Minimus this year and says she wants something "easier than GfC"-and I think she's right-she just plain needs a little more practice decoding Greek before she moves into the grammar-heavy GfC. We've already worked through "Biblical Greek 4 Kids" book 1, too.

Minimus is probably best described as "comic book" Latin-there's a little story in comic-strip form that is understandable even without knowing all the vocabulary, and then the vocabulary (and sometimes a little bit of grammar) and the Roman Briton history that underlies the story is taught. We've used it as a supplement to LfC, but Latin has the familiar alphabet and is easy to pronounce, so DD's been able to handle both new vocabulary and new grammar at the same time. I can see where more confidence in decoding and confidence that she can read Greek would be helpful before moving into grammar in Greek.

This is all I'm aware of. It's modern Greek, not ancient Greek, so it wouldn't be of much help with grammar (or vocab, either, I think) - but it would be fun pronunciation practice. You'd have to ignore any pronunciation helps, though, as modern Greek is pronounced differently than ancient Greek. But, hey, modern Greek speakers pronounce ancient Greek like modern Greek - why not do the reverse? ;)

Greek Alphabetarian - not cartoony but will work on automatic decoding. What about an old Greek reader from Google books or an interliner new testament (perhaps she could illustrate it)? Then you could read the Greek and see what it means?

A little story in Greek - to translate then maybe illustrate. http://koinegreek.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/story-1.pdf

I want something like this for Greek. Hmm - found something (loads slow): http://www.letsreadgreek.com/comenius/ - not complete, but might be a fun diversion.