Menu

frozen roast in crock pot?

I cook everything from frozen in a crock pot. For a roast, I'd initially roast it with some seasoning (salt, pepper, maybe seasoned salt or even steak seasoning) with either beef broth or coffee. (strange, I know. There is no coffee taste once it's cooked, though. I use it as a base for my BBQ pork chops too). It takes longer, obviously, but can be done.

I do it often. I cut up an onion, plus sometimes some carrots and celery. and put them in the bottom. You could use potatoes, too. Add the frozen roast. Pour a cup of water over the roast. Cover, and start the crock pot on HIGH. If I want it to cook for a longer time, I lower the temp after an hour or two.

ETA: I wouldn't do this with an older crock pot that doesn't heat as high, but the newer ones heat up faster and hotter.

I cook everything from frozen in a crock pot. For a roast, I'd initially roast it with some seasoning (salt, pepper, maybe seasoned salt or even steak seasoning) with either beef broth or coffee. (strange, I know. There is no coffee taste once it's cooked, though. I use it as a base for my BBQ pork chops too). It takes longer, obviously, but can be done.

:iagree: I put coffee in my chili, too. My friend thought I was a nut. So glad to see someone else using coffee in their cooking!

The key with frozen food is to remember that you can end up with a LOT of water. About 4 hours in, check the level and maybe even dump some and then add more flavorful liquid and seasoning.

One caveat - I tried to do bbq chicken in the crockpot starting with frozen chicken. Yuck!!

I do it often. I cut up an onion, plus sometimes some carrots and celery. and put them in the bottom. You could use potatoes, too. Add the frozen roast. Pour a cup of water over the roast. Cover, and start the crock pot on HIGH. If I want it to cook for a longer time, I lower the temp after an hour or two.

QUOTE]

I do this exactly except I also add a few splashes of worchishire sauce too.

I've put frozen roasts in the crock pot dozens of times and I honestly never thought twice about it. We haven't died yet, so I guess it's OK :D.

I just throw in the roast, potato chunks, carrots, onions, garlic, 1/4-1/2 c. of water or beef broth, salt/pepper, and turn it on high.

I do frozen roasts in the crock pot. Sometimes I crank it up to high for 2-3 hours, then turn it down to low for the rest of the day. Personally, I think it's a bit cleaner and quicker to use a frozen roast. Otherwise I have raw meat that I have to touch and clean up off the counter and sink, and the kids usually wait until I'm elbow deep in animal blood to color the walls or swing from the light fixtures.

I cook whole chickens in the crockpot too, but I thaw those first. It's hard to get the bag of innards out when it's a solid bowling ball.

I do frozen roasts in the crock pot. Sometimes I crank it up to high for 2-3 hours, then turn it down to low for the rest of the day. Personally, I think it's a bit cleaner and quicker to use a frozen roast. Otherwise I have raw meat that I have to touch and clean up off the counter and sink, and the kids usually wait until I'm elbow deep in animal blood to color the walls or swing from the light fixtures.

:lol: Isn't that the truth!!!!???

Thanks everyone. Off to make a roast!

I've done a bit of googling, and the suggestions are mixed...

Can one safely prepare a roast in a crock pot from a frozen state? If so, do you have a recipe that doesn't call for any of the following: onion soup mix, mushroom soup or mushrooms.

TIA!!!

i often cook a frozen roast in the crockpot. I do put it on high for the first several hours though. I ususlly do seasonings and cream of mushroom soup, but I don't see why you couldn't do beef broth or water and any seasonings thet you like. BBQ sause is good, but not very "roasty"

I thaw my roast, coat it in salt, pepper and flour, and brown it before putting it in the crockpot. I think you end up with better color and texture that way.

I put carrots, potatoes and half of a slices onion in the bottom, put in the roast, put herbs (thyme, rosemary, etc) and the other half of an onion on top. I add half a cup of water, broth or wine (depending upon my mood, if I have leftover wine, etc) and some worcestershire sauce. Sometimes I add some v-8.

I cook from frozen, too. Like others, cook on high for 2 hours or so, then turn the heat down.

I never use soups or soup mixes: 1/2 cup broth, s&p, lots of minced garlic, onion, whatever veggies you want (I put them at the bottom of the roast), a little bit of EVOO drizzled over the top.

We're still kickin'!

I've put frozen roasts in the crock pot dozens of times and I honestly never thought twice about it. We haven't died yet, so I guess it's OK :D.

I just throw in the roast, potato chunks, carrots, onions, garlic, 1/4-1/2 c. of water or beef broth, salt/pepper, and turn it on high.

:iagree: This is what I do. It comes out yummy!

Veronica

I've done a bit of googling, and the suggestions are mixed...

Can one safely prepare a roast in a crock pot from a frozen state? If so, do you have a recipe that doesn't call for any of the following: onion soup mix, mushroom soup or mushrooms.

TIA!!!

Wow, I only cook roasts from frozen. Depending on the size it can take all ay so if I do it I start it about the same time I start breakfast. I often just season with salt, pepper, and put in a 1/4 cup water. Sometimes I add other spices. I used to always put my potatoes and carrots under the roast but dh doesn't like his cooked there. :glare:

What does the coke do? Does it end up tasting like coke (I don't like coke)? Do you still put in regular spices, or is the flavor from the coke it?

It actually works as a tenderizer with the sugar, and adds some flavor, but not coke flavor. It used to be our favorite way to make roasts in the slow cooker until we quit drinking sodas and HCFS. We just haven't bothered finding a non-HCFS soda to use since then.

I almost exclusively put my roasts in frozen--the occasional exception is when I've recently purchased the meat and haven't yet divided it to put it in my deep freeze. I've even seared the outside fo a frozen roast and then put it in. I've always heard that the bacteria issue is more of a concern for ground meat. With a whole cut, the bacteria is on the surface, rather than mixed through, so with searing and then braising in a crockpot all day anything that was present is long since gone by the time you're ready to eat.

I do, I guess I never thought about it.

I just throw in the roast, add some water, salt and pepper, onions, carrots and parsnips. You can do potatoes, but I prefer mine prepared other ways. The carrots and parsnips are SO good cooked with the roast.

I put it in in the morning, and it's done by dinnertime. Add a fresh loaf of bread and voila! Dinner. :)