Menu

I feel dumb asking this but here goes...

My current situation both this school year and next school year allows me to put homeschool classes on an (accreditted) high school diploma. These few classes will listed under our "homeschool" name and won't at first glance appear to be from a homeschool. After these two school years are completed, my ds will most likely attend a private school and graduate with their diploma. In the end, he will have classes from 5 sources.

So, when he applies to colleges, will he have to send in 5 transcripts? I assume he will. Also, will these colleges question his credits [homeschool, unaccredited private school, accredited public school, accredited private school (2 of these)] which the private (accredited) school from which he graduates has already accepted?

I am especially asking about the homeschool credits (I am still trying to decide about next year) which may include a lab science, math, and PE. Do I need to keep a course textbook list along with math tests, lab notebook, science tests, etc?

Thanks for any help!

I don't think you'll need five transcripts. When we applied to colleges, we listed all homeschool studies (either those done at home or classes in the homeschool community) in our homeschool transcript. For classes taken at the community college, we simply asked the CC to send to the colleges their transcript. So only two transcripts and I only had to do one of them. In your situation I would think you'd do one for all the homeschool stuff (independent or homeschool classes) and then ask the high to forward their transcript to the colleges your child is applying to.

However, I've never enrolled my homeschooled kids officially in anything like a formal program or on line classes. So perhaps that would be different?

My current situation both this school year and next school year allows me to put homeschool classes on an (accreditted) high school diploma. These few classes will listed under our "homeschool" name and won't at first glance appear to be from a homeschool.

Don't you mean transcript and not diploma?

After these two school years are completed, my ds will most likely attend a private school and graduate with their diploma. In the end, he will have classes from 5 sources.

So, when he applies to colleges, will he have to send in 5 transcripts? I assume he will.

It might depend on the school from which he actually graduates. Some schools will include the grades/credits earned from previous schools on their transcript. You should probably talk to the school about that.

Also, will these colleges question his credits [homeschool, unaccredited private school, accredited public school, accredited private school (2 of these)] which the private (accredited) school from which he graduates has already accepted?

They might...or they might not. Even children who attend school all their lives often attend more than one high school; I went to 4 high schools in 3 states, so having more than one transcript is not that big a deal.

I am especially asking about the homeschool credits (I am still trying to decide about next year) which may include a lab science, math, and PE. Do I need to keep a course textbook list along with math tests, lab notebook, science tests, etc?

It's hard to say. I just talked to someone whose dc wanted to attend a college that wanted not just a list of textbooks or other materials used but also wanted actual page numbers of assignments. Her dc decided not to go there. Some colleges only want transcripts and ACT/SAT scores. Some want course descriptions and samples of work. IOW, there is no standard. You and your ds will want to investigate the colleges he's interested in to find out what they require of homeschooled applicants.

Don't you mean transcript and not diploma?

It might depend on the school from which he actually graduates. Some schools will include the grades/credits earned from previous schools on their transcript. You should probably talk to the school about that.

They might...or they might not. Even children who attend school all their lives often attend more than one high school; I went to 4 high schools in 3 states, so having more than one transcript is not that big a deal.

It's hard to say. I just talked to someone whose dc wanted to attend a college that wanted not just a list of textbooks or other materials used but also wanted actual page numbers of assignments. Her dc decided not to go there. Some colleges only want transcripts and ACT/SAT scores. Some want course descriptions and samples of work. IOW, there is no standard. You and your ds will want to investigate the colleges he's interested in to find out what they require of homeschooled applicants.

I'm talking about transcripts. If he graduates from this school, he'll have their transcript with grades only for their classes. All the other classes will be listed by their school name and with a grade of "P."

I contacted one university, known to he homeschool friendly. They said they would want to see all transcripts so they can see all grades. I didn't mention homeschooling so that wasn't addressed in their reply.

I'm just tired of planning and don't want to jump through any more unexpected hoops.

:iagree: My oldest ds went to a Christian high school in his Jr. ands Sr. year, after me homeschooling him 2nd - 10th grades. They accepted my homeschool transcripts, and added them to his overall transcript from them, so when he graduated, they had one transcript with grades 9-12. It worked out very well!

My oldest was public schooled but he took a couple courses at different sites. The ps gave their grades for everything, but noted in the bottom right corner I think that some courses were taken elsewhere. I could look more closely, but the basic idea is that one school issues a diploma based on accepting and transferring all other credits into their required system.

Julie