Menu

How do you move something really heavy?

I need to move my 300-400 lb treadmill to the garage attic. I was barely able to help my dh move it from one room to the next so I know I can't get it up a set of stairs. Dh is horrible for asking for help from others, and is worried that if he asks a couple of his friends and one gets hurt that it would affect his job. We used a skid once outdoors to move something heavy. I am trying to figure out if something like that would work. I just called a couple of moving companies and they want over $100 to move it.

Any ideas or hubbies that may have some?

My husband has these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_66999-255-4262599NN_0__?productId=3037455&Ntt=casters&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dcasters

I am amazed at how easy it is for him to move things. We also have a nice dolly and a flat dolly as well but these are usually his choice for moving things that are bigger or akwardly sized. Of course, this wouldn't help for moving it into an attic. And, truthfully, if you are going to move it to the attic you might just want to sell it.

And, truthfully, if you are going to move it to the attic you might just want to sell it.

This ^^ ...and I'd wonder as well, would something like that be safe to have stored in an attic? I haven't been in very many attics, but the ones I have been in were pretty rickety looking places and you had to be cautious where you walked. :001_huh:

Sorry, I call it an attic but it is a full upstairs space in our newly built attached garage. There's a bathroom up there etc. It will be used for my gym equip. It's a fully usable space.

My bil is 60 and not a big guy.

If I tried to hook up a pully system, how solid would the thing that I wrapped the rope around have to be? There are no exposed posts or anything in the room. The only thing I can think of is the leg of the train table which is basically just a 2x4.

I would pay the $100 to have it moved.

That is barely 2 chiropractic adjustments or a couple of copays and a prescription if you get hurt. Moving something like that is the quickest way to a back injury and that could cause significant problems for a long time.