Menu

Any TC courses that are accessible to a Logic stage child?

In another thread Swimmermom3 mentioned a TC course that she felt is accessible to a 6th grader for Medieval history. I was wondering if there were any other courses that you felt your Logic stage child would be able to benefit from, or that would interest them while not being completely over their heads?

For me, this would be with an advanced 5th grader and I'm hoping specifically for Ancient history but would also like to have a list of other resources to consider buying for the Logic stage years.

TIA!

DD is using both the high-school early world history course & the joy of science course (from one of the co-authors of Science Matters).

She's not watching Human Prehistory & the First Civilizations, I am, but if it fit into our curriculum, it would definitely be accessible. Similar with The Theory of Evolution: A History of Controversy. I have the Greek Legacy one, but haven't gotten to it yet, so I'm not sure about it.

HTH

I've often heard of people using Joy of Science with middle schoolers. I personally do NOT recommend it! Yes, SOME of the lectures are okay, but many are just way over the head of the average middle schooler and there are so many better resources available.

I'm not saying this to be problematic. It's just I never see anyone saying it, and if I was planning next year, I might make a bad decision if I was only reading the reviews I have seen over the years. So I just want to throw out a word of caution, and that's it. I PERSONALLY would NEVER use JOS as the core curriculum for a middleschooler.

In my opinion it's audience is firmly CC adult level. I'm not sure if my 11th grader even finished the series. I love the author's cheap paperback Science Matters, but am not as impressed with the lectures or textbook.

Edited by Hunter

Can you tell me if these are actual DVDs that the kids watch? Is it just a DVD of the speaker addresses, say, an audience and you are listening to the lecture? I am considering Medieval Ages and wondered what the main difference is between the Audio (listen only) and the DVDs? Are their pictures? Is it more interesting or engaging to watch the DVDs? Thanks so much!