Menu

Question for moms with large families

kristinannie

I have three beautiful kids. I had to beg DH for the third child. I just felt like I definitely hadn't completed my family. Since I knew he didn't want a third child (although he is completely in love with DS and always has been), I just assumed I couldn't have any more kids. I am starting to have those feelings again about wanting to have another child. DH's family is totally against me having any more kids. They were openly hostile when they found out I was pregnant for the third time (although they love DS). I think his mom is a little jealous since she could only have two kids due to health reasons (also the reason why she was so hostile towards me breastfeeding).

Anyway, as a practical note. How much more work is it to add a 4th child, especially when it comes to homeschooling. I have a pretty organized system in place now (it became necessary to me to get a good schedule once we had the third baby). I haven't started HSing yet (we are starting in July for real although we are definitely doing some HSing right now during afternoons and snow days). It seems to me that my level of chaos is maxed out and adding another baby won't really mess things up too badly (aside from the morning sickness and the first couple of months after we have the baby). Our lives really didn't change much after we had the third. I want to have the facts so I can talk about this with DH. The other day, he was holding DS9months and said, "I could totally do this again." It gave me a glimmer of hope....

BTW, what is the correlation between people with large families and those that HS? It seems like there are a lot of large families HSing. Maybe we are just the type of people who like to live outside the box a little.

Sorry this was long and rambling! I appreciate any insight you can offer.

Well my fourth is only 1, but she was the easiest addition. I was back into routine fast after her. She was born Nov 11, and I still completed NaNo (writing contest - 50000 word novel in November) that month and was homeschooling full time within a month I think. I could have started sooner, bun NaNo is my first love. (Worst pregnancy, but you didn't ask about that. :D)

Possible mitigating factors:

She is 3 1/2 years younger than her brother

After her brother (DS4) a herd of elephants would be easy to handle.

She is/was a very content baby, if she wants something, she lets you know, but otherwise she was happy to be with us.

My eldest (DS8) was/is very helpful in general. (Saying this because I don't know how old your kids are.)

My next eldest (DS6) was/is very helpful with the baby - he loves her and will help by playing with her or dressing her for me.

So, you'll never know 'til you try. The third was the biggest adjustment, because I didn't have three hands!

I have 9. With one you are getting used to being a parent. With two you are getting used to having more than one child. With three you are getting used to being outnumbered. After three, well, you are still outnumbered, so the transition is much easier. Three is definitely the hardest. The rest are just one more.:001_smile:

I have three children also, and know what you are feeling. I really think I would have to try hard to talk DH into another. :) And I can't say that I blame him, as I tend to have difficult pregnancies (major HG with #2 and #3) and he would really have to pick up the slack.

We also had a m/c in between #2 and #3, and he never wants to go through that again. We were both devastated.

BUT

I'd love one more.

I feel crazy to even think about it, we are nuts nuts nuts all the time as it is, and it really can be hard with homeschooling. I'm not even at the hard time with my youngest. The next 1-2 years will be crazy with a toddler. But I can't help it. I love babies, and will probably always want just one more. ;)

The good thing is your oldest is still very young, so even in a year or two it wouldn't be a big deal to take a little break from school if you were having a bad pregnancy or after the baby is born. He would still be in elementary, and probably only doing schoolwork for a couple of hours, which you could always work on when DH is home if needed. And you can school a lot ahead of time to allow for a month or so "off" when baby is born, if you wanted to do that. The good thing with homeschooling is you can set your own schedule and work around these kind of things. Not so with public school, I know that from experience.

Don't worry about your in laws. Why should they even have a say in the size of your family? And I can't believe they were openly hostile last time you were pregnant. That is wrong. Don't let that sway your decision.

It is only the business of you and your husband. Talk with him, and listen to him. Just like you have your reasons for wanting another child, he will have his reasons to not have another. They are valid, too. Hear him out, and hopefully he'll hear you out, and you can agree. It's a good sign that he said he could do it again...more than I have heard from my DH. :glare:

My immediate recommendation would be to homeschool fully for a year before making a decision.

This probably isn't going to be the popular vote and I my opinion is tainted by the fact that I have a 2yo that is giving me grey hair, but here it is.

If my 2yo were older, my dc would be getting an incredible education. As it stands right now they are getting an adequate education. There is so much we could be doing that we aren't because of this 2yo. Now, granted, she won't be two forever and I am waiting with breathless anticipation for the day she doesn't try to derail every single thing we try to accomplish. I don't think it's as much an issue of homeschooling lots of kids as it is an issue of how old they are. It's all going to be so dependent on your dc too. Do they get along well, are there behavior issues, LDs, how do they learn best? And then you need to consider your method of homeschooling; are you going to be relaxed, eclectic, CM, WTM, rigorous, etc? It all will play into how easy it will be to incorporate a new baby into the mix.

You need to consider how having another baby will affect how much time you can spend teaching your other dc as well. I have to spend a total of 6 hours of one on one, focused, uninterrupted time with my dc in order to teach. Now, this time would be different depending on the ages of my dc of coarse. During this 6 hours my 2yo isn't getting my attention she is with a sibling or napping. She misses me and I miss her but I committed to educating my dc so they end up coming first. Your baby may be completely content to sit in your lap gumming on a toy but what about when they start to become toddlers and preK age. Then you have to try to find something to occupy them while you are teaching the others. Now, if you have 2 in this stage...well, it could get frustrating real quick.

I could go on but I won't because I don't want you to think I'm discouraging you from having another baby; I'm not. My opinion is that you need to get at least a year of homeschooling under your belt first, because homeschooling part time and homeschooling full time are two different beasts. I also think you need to think carefully about age span before you decide to have another baby. If I had two toddlers right now I don't know how I would educate my other dc effectively.

Just to reiterate...I think having another baby is a great idea...consider the timing though.

I have 9. With one you are getting used to being a parent. With two you are getting used to having more than one child. With three you are getting used to being outnumbered. After three, well, you are still outnumbered, so the transition is much easier. Three is definitely the hardest. The rest are just one more.:001_smile:

This!:iagree:The third totally killed me but the next 3 were really no big deal.

This!:iagree:The third totally killed me but the next 3 were really no big deal.

Good to hear!! Really.

:001_smile:

We are not a big family but we went from 2 to 4(we had twins) and really it wasn't that bad so from what I am told the 3rd is the hard and challenging. I also watch a little girl so most days I have 5 and well 5 has been a little bit of a challenge but everyday it really seems easier and when she was a newborn actually was the toughest so now 5 is a breeze :D

DH's family is totally against me having any more kids. They were openly hostile when they found out I was pregnant for the third time (although they love DS).

I hope this is no part of the equation whatsoever for you or your dh. It is crazy how our families can influence us so much! But, please do not let thoughts of what your inlaws or friends or ANYONE will think of your family and children outside of you and dh.

About 15 years ago, my dh and I were exactly where you and your dh seem to be. Dh wanted two, I wanted three and we made a deal to go for number three. ;) Obviously, he's a joy and blessing. The process to get to 7 kids was a change in our hearts that took some twists and turns. Dh has looked at me often and said, "Why didn't we have more kids when it was so easy to have them?"

What is it like with a large family? Well, every family will look different. There are probably families of 2 kids that are louder than my 7, but that's b/c I like a certain routine inside the house. All loud play goes outside (and there is plenty of fun outside play!). I think I was busier and more stressed when I had 3 kids within 3 1/2 years. And life is always busier with a newborn. Most days are very full, and there will always be projects I can't get to (scrapbooking!) but it's not chaotic. I'm not a type-A organized, but I do like routine and that helps. I suspect that if you are managing your house well now with 3 kids, that it won't look that much different with another. As my former neighbor used to say: You're already doin' the dance; you just do it a little bit faster. ;)

My wise husband said many years ago, when I wanted more, that he didn't want me to grow old always wishing we had tried for more. So, so happy he indulged!

Lisa

The rest are just one more.:001_smile:

:iagree: That's how we ended up with 6 - I wanted #4 ("just one more" ;)). Then #4 was so easy after #2 and #3 twins that we both thought #5, "just one more," was a good idea, plus I was turning 40. And then #6 was a surprise. Originally, way back when, DH only wanted two kids :lol:.

Ohh you are hitting the nail on the head.

When I'm in a store and people start counting us and it's during the day and the questions comes..."Why aren't you in school?" And I say I honeschool-I have to do so with disclaimers-I'm not like the Duggars, we're not fundamentalist, on and on...

We homeschool for no other reason than it started out with one, then two, then three-and by then we couldn't go back-and now we wouldn't so this is it. The kids are as many as they are because we just kept getting pregnant (and yes, I never was *done* but now I am fulfilled and done, so I know what you mean).

I can't imagine shoving everyone out the door at the crack of dawn, getting the lunches (which dh and I figured out to be @ 350 a month for our family) the insanity of homework after school-

Homeschooling a large family is peaceful. There can be craziness-but it's only if you choose. I choose to know my children and lead a peaceful life with them.

My wise husband said many years ago, when I wanted more, that he didn't want me to grow old always wishing we had tried for more. So, so happy he indulged!

awwww... stuff like this could have me consider a #7 (Dh has placed no limit but I might be at the end of my rope, and I feel too old to have a newborn again). But my youngest, my sweet surprise, is 19 months and is a total doll, toddling around with curls bouncing as I write this... :) But I don't think I can get over the whole car issue - the Suburban is already at capacity. :tongue_smilie:

If my 2yo were older, my dc would be getting an incredible education. As it stands right now they are getting an adequate education. There is so much we could be doing that we aren't because of this 2yo. Now, granted, she won't be two forever and I am waiting with breathless anticipation for the day she doesn't try to derail every single thing we try to accomplish. I don't think it's as much an issue of homeschooling lots of kids as it is an issue of how old they are. It's all going to be so dependent on your dc too. Do they get along well, are there behavior issues, LDs, how do they learn best? And then you need to consider your method of homeschooling; are you going to be relaxed, eclectic, CM, WTM, rigorous, etc? It all will play into how easy it will be to incorporate a new baby into the mix.

:iagree: Young kids/toddlers/babies make homeschooling hard. I had no idea how hard until I was doing it. My youngest (of five) is now 2.5 and school is starting to get easier because she is more content to play instead of destroy. My 4.5-year-old demanded over the weekend to do "real school" (turns with me for formal seatwork). So I now have four kids working on school with me. The younger students require more direct help from me. The older ones are gradually working a bit more independently, but I still do the most critical subjects with them (math, phonics, writing, etc.--skills).

Anyway, I occasionally think wistfully about having another baby, particularly since we have all girls. A son would be fun (I have four brothers). But a baby would bring utter chaos to our school and to our lives. I don't think dh is up for another and without him, I'm not, either. If we had another, I'd wait until our youngest is 4. I don't think it's going to happen, though. It's sad, but it's probably for the best (i.e. the sanity of me and dh).

Also, four was harder than three for me and five was ridiculously, astonishingly more difficult than four! My sister called me a few weeks after her fifth was born, surprised that five was so much harder than four. I (mistakenly) believed that four wouldn't be much harder than three and that once you had three the rest would be no big deal. It wasn't like that for me....

Your 4 kids would be spaced the same as mine were when I had #4. :001_smile: I don't have any pearls of wisdom other than to say that I struggle to maintain the nap schedules and toddler time with the busyess of a larger family. The kids don't do many outside activities, but even one thing/kid adds up quickly. Everything is more - bigger meals, more laundry, etc. All of the "moreness" gradually builds until you look around and realize how much it all is.

The key, I think, to a large family is discipline - mom's discipline. Discipline to schedule and complete household chores, discipline to establish and follow many small routines within the framework of a daily routine, discipline to remember and meet obligations, disclipine to discipline the kids again and again and again. When I am "on," life is really good. When I am "off," life gets chaotic very, very qickly.

I wouldn't give any of them back, and I am head-over-heels in love with my baby. My larger family is a blessing.

With my fourth (he is a few months old now) that put us at 4 kids under 6 years old. It's tough, and this last one turned my world upside down for awhile. It was so topsy turvy that some well meaning family are constantly suggesting I get my tubes tied. I'd love to have more, but I know that my body and mentality cannot handle more (at least not right now). With that said, I love having four kids and being a large family by today's standards. It has certainly changed our world into a simplier and less materialistic existence. The money just isn't there to buy luxuries, and there are too many of them at such a young age to be hauling around town everyday. I'm sure as they age we will get out more, but right now I love the quietness of our life.

I call my fourth our life changer. I love him and all the painful changes I went through!

Everyone told us that going from three to four was easy... After doing it, I disagree. You are still adding another child to care for, to give time to, and to raise. Of course, I never regret having my precious dd, but I do think about how life would be without her. I think my boys would get a better education, as I would have more time to spend with them. We also would have more freedom to do things and go on field trips without a baby around. I am pretty sure my house would be less chaotic, and I wouldn't worry so much about how we were going to provide music lessons and sports to all the kids.

Having a large family is a blessing, but it is hard, hard work. If you and your dh do want another baby, please do! I guess I just don't want to sugar coat how hard it may be!

When i was homeschooling my older kids years ago I was HSing 4. I think the hardest part for me was the morning sickess at the beginning and trying to HS. Honestly I remember not being able to get out of bed and my kids bringing me their books and stuff for me to go over. That was the hardest part. I have 8 total kids and getting ready to begin to HS again after taking a couple years off. I had 3 under 3 at the time and needed a breather.

The beauty of HSing is you do things on your own time table. I don't remember noticing that having a baby was any harder.

:iagree:I couldn't have said it better myself! I would like to add that my family and my inlaws are also like OP's...very hostile about everything I do, including hs. I deal with them with a smile on my face...sometimes!:D

Wear your baby and do what needs to be done! It does have an adjustment period but after going from 2 children to 3, going from 3-4 is easier. You already have your schedule so you just go about your day, stopping to nurse of course.

First - your question about large families and why so many homeschool...

I think its really because it comes to a point with a large family where its just nearly impossible to public school them! There are so many comings and goings, school events, lunches needed, forms needed signed, money needed for this that and EVERYTHING. lol

It just gets so chaotic. The public school system just isn't very feasible for large families. Although I do know of a couple families with 6 (only five are school age) who make it work, either through public or private school.

I only started homeschooling my five (only three are school aged!) in September, so I am stilll learning a lot.

Three kids to homeschool right now doesn't seem so bad. My little two just kind of play and run around while we're schooling.

My DH and I are planning on having another baby. I'm not sure how another baby will fit into the mix of things. I wish I could plan for a June baby...and take all summer off. ;) But things don't always work out the way we want. haha

I love to visit forums like these and get ideas from other large families and how they homeschool.

I think it just really comes down to good time managment and some level of organization. :)

Everyone told us that going from three to four was easy... After doing it, I disagree. You are still adding another child to care for, to give time to, and to raise. Of course, I never regret having my precious dd, but I do think about how life would be without her. I think my boys would get a better education, as I would have more time to spend with them. We also would have more freedom to do things and go on field trips without a baby around. I am pretty sure my house would be less chaotic, and I wouldn't worry so much about how we were going to provide music lessons and sports to all the kids.

Having a large family is a blessing, but it is hard, hard work. If you and your dh do want another baby, please do! I guess I just don't want to sugar coat how hard it may be!

Oh, my. This is exactly how I feel after having #5.

Anyway, as a practical note. How much more work is it to add a 4th child, especially when it comes to homeschooling. I have a pretty organized system in place now (it became necessary to me to get a good schedule once we had the third baby). I haven't started HSing yet (we are starting in July for real although we are definitely doing some HSing right now during afternoons and snow days).

BTW, what is the correlation between people with large families and those that HS? It seems like there are a lot of large families HSing. Maybe we are just the type of people who like to live outside the box a little.

We have 4 kids. We homeschool. I also have a husband who works 7 days a week and is never home (and I mean never). We actually lived in separate cities for 8 months last year (just to paint you a picture).

Anyway, for me...4 kids are great. My youngest is 3, which is massively challenging sometimes. She always wants to "do school" with the older ones and has a lot of "I need popcorn" or "I want my princess Barbie and I'm scared to go by myself" - type stuff. And this happens right in the middle of math, of course.

Oh, it's hard to take them all into a store. I took them yesterday and the second we exited the building, it seemed like everybody started breakdancing through the parking lot, not watching where they were going...there's cars all over the place, I'm carrying 500 bags, etc. It's stressful when you're outnumbered 4:1 and they're little.

I think you hit the nail on the head in your post. You have to be extremely organized. I also wake up around 4:45 so that I can get a good start on my day. If I accidentally wake up at 6:30 or 7, my whole morning feels shot. :glare:

We homeschool because I was unhappy with the level of academics in public school, but I've found that homeschooling is a lot less stressful on my kids than public school was. If I had one or two kids, I would probably still be homeschooling (in other words, I don't think the # of them had anything to do with it).

Anyway, those were my 2 cents. Every family is different. We were originally just going to have one kid and I was applying for grad school. :D What happened to that? LOL! :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

Everyone told us that going from three to four was easy... After doing it, I disagree.

When we had Kid #2, I was soooo scared when my husband left for work the first day. I cried for an hour. :lol: I think by 3 and 4, I had gotten into a groove. LOL!

:iagree:I couldn't have said it any better! I have 6 and the 3rd dc (our 1st son) was the one to turn my world upside down (we love him to death!)! After baby #3, it just seemed like one more head to count. No major adjustment. It's kind of funny, as soon as we found out we were going to have another baby (#4, 5 & 6 - at seperate times, though - not triplets!!!) it seemed like they were missing pieces to our family puzzle and as soon as they were born, the puzzle was that much more complete. Does that make sense?

The key, I think, to a large family is discipline - mom's discipline. Discipline to schedule and complete household chores, discipline to establish and follow many small routines within the framework of a daily routine, discipline to remember and meet obligations, disclipine to discipline the kids again and again and again. When I am "on," life is really good. When I am "off," life gets chaotic very, very quickly.

:iagree:

:iagree: Yup. I totally agree. After three its just one more. LOL

Of course there is a small transition period but after that its just that feeling of having one more. I could never imagine my life without my 4 girls :D

We have 5, but our situation is a little different! DH and I decided we wanted 3 before we were married...I was an only child and knew I wanted more than 2, and he came from a family of 3, so that just seemed...logical?

We had our first 2, a boy and a girl, and everyone just "assumed" we were done, since we hade one of each! And for a while, I was content with my 2. Of course, I didn't hs back then.

After we built a new house, it just seemed like the perfect place to add #3...our little tie breaker! It was a scarey pregnancy, scary delivery...and he was a fussy, fussy baby!! I remember just sitting in the floor crying, trying to get him to nurse! Thank goodness my oldest two were old enough to help and get themselves what they needed! I never, ever expected this! The first two were a BREEZE!!! This child is still cranky a lot!! But we love him to death!!! And we were pretty sure we were done!!

Fast forward about 11 months...and guess who gets a surprise at a doctors' appointment...yep, pregnant with #4!! We were shocked!! So, now I had a very cranky 20 month old...and a new baby!! Thank goodness, this one was a happy baby (until he was about 16 months old)!!! But, it was still chaos most of the time!! I was/am a stay at home and my husband travels alot with a sales job...so it was just me and these 4 kids most of the time!! If my dd (who was 10 at the time) had not been a "little mother"...I would never have survived it! I was living on NO sleep!!! I was up on night with the new baby, then up early to get my oldest two to school...if I was LUCKY the little ones would nap at the same time!!

Well, then when the youngest was 11 months old...guess who finds out she is pregnant again...yep!! Although this wasn't really a surprise! So, now I have dd(12); ds(10); ds(3); ds(1.5) and a new baby!!!

I was also under the impression that after three it's no more difficult! Well, in some cases that is true, but it is still 5 people who want mommy and don't always want to wait!

I wouldn't change anything...and would do it all over again but I know my limit and this is it for us!! Both physically and financially...we are where we need to be!! My oldest dd is going to college next year and that is another finance to consider!!

This is my first year HS and it is going really well...but they are 8, 7 and 5! I could not have done this a couple of years ago! We are able to go on field trips or pick up and go somewhere at the last minute (like lunch with daddy) and I could not have done that if they were younger!

My parents were not pleased with us having so many kids...although they love them to pieces! DH was much more understanding! However, I agree you can't let other people make that decision for you! But, I would most definitely consider DH feelings! If my DH had agreed to "just one more" and then I was already talking about another one, I am afraid it could lead to problems! It really needs to be a joint decision! You need to consider his feelings as much as he needs to consider yours!

So, my thoughts are it just depends on the temperment of the kids...and the mom! I like things organized...the more kids we add, the less control I have over that!! And, I have two very strong willed children...and three very easy, laid back children!! But those two strong willed children are my youngest two!! And it can make for some very stressful days if they are in their moods!!

Good Luck in your journey!!!

Alicia