Menu

Creation vs evolution

I would like to find a pamphlet or other "simple" resource that is organized in a point/ counter-point format comparing these worldviews.

It would be used-possibly- in a biology class and could be applied to any textbook. The point of use would be to keep a clear balance of the two even when using a text that teaches from either one.

I'm only looking for a reference source..... not a book or anything of length. It really needs to be simple enough to pull it out in a moment's notice and apply it to any biological situation.

Any ideas?

What exactly are you looking for? Something to dispute any evolutionary content you may encounter in a secular textbook? Or are you looking for the explanations each side gives? I find the ones presented thus far to be one sided, inflammatory and definitely not an accurate presentation of what the evolution proponents believe. Plus, they assume that anyone who believes in an old earth must not have any belief in God.

What exactly are you looking for? Something to dispute any evolutionary content you may encounter in a secular textbook? Or are you looking for the explanations each side gives? I find the ones presented thus far to be one sided, inflammatory and definitely not an accurate presentation of what the evolution proponents believe. Plus, they assume that anyone who believes in an old earth must not have any belief in God.

Ellen,

I will have a 9th grade biology student in 2 years, and I have begun to make a short list of options (texts and resources) to use then.

Obviously, one could choose a Christian text or a secular text. Either way, Creation vs. evolution will be studied. Many on this board choose to teach from a secular book so that their child will be exposed to evolution before starting college. I totally understand this.

I just couldn't get used to any secular text I looked at. I am leaning toward using Science Shepherd, but I thought I would try to find a simple resource with point/ counter-point organization that we could use with the different biological concepts we would cover. This way, I could base biology from a Christian worldview but teach the concepts of evolution. Then, my child would be able to discuss Creation and evolution in a secular college classroom.

I was just researching, and I found a book from Answers in Genesis called Evolution Exposed (I think). It comes the closest to what I'm looking for, but I would like a pamphlet...... not a book. A pamphlet with point/ counter-point organization would be ready to use a moment's notice and would make this kind of comparison/contrast "easy".

Stephanie posted a great example of what I'm looking for, but I wanted to see if anyone else could provide other options.

I hope you find what you seek, but I would be surprised if a short list could accurately explain all the viewpoints. Often only two views are provided. However, that will probably only confuse your child more when he finds out that there are many other views. Creation and evolution are not mutually exclusive, since many people believe in creation and evolution.

Answers in Genesis materials might be helpful in defining the terms and understanding why some feel those two are mutually exclusive (especially due to death beginning at the fall of man), but I'd personally want to prepare my student with all the different terms and their connotations (big bang vs. evolution, macro vs. microevolution, etc.).

Julie

I'm a Christian and would be very turned off by that. There are numerous incorrect statements in that link.

Yes, I looked at this and there are several incorrect statements.

It is also heavily biased in tone and not an impartial reference you may be looking for.

Btw, I would be extremely interested how they make natural oil and coal in a matter of weeks (since they cite this as observable) - that would solve the energy crisis.

Well you can bop over to Answers in Genesis' website and get tons of info, any kind you want. They have pamphlets, dvd's, books, etc. As I recall, the BJU Earth Science covers quite a bit on creation science, doesn't it? I just seem to remember you saying you were going to skip that one, a funny coincidence. Anyways, I'm pretty sure AIG has some inexpensive (under $1) pamphlets you can download. Their books are well worth reading. Any questions a student has about their faith while reading a secular biology book aren't going to be answered by a two-sided pamphlet, that's for sure. I would get a couple good books from them and let her read them. Don't they have their Answers dvd as a free download this week? Hey, it's still available!! Try this:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/Downloads/download-offer-new-answers-dvd-3.aspx?utm_source=AiGSuperSpecials&utm_medium=email&utm_content=FreeDownload&utm_campaign=SS01272011

Well you can bop over to Answers in Genesis' website and get tons of info, any kind you want. They have pamphlets, dvd's, books, etc. As I recall, the BJU Earth Science covers quite a bit on creation science, doesn't it? I just seem to remember you saying you were going to skip that one, a funny coincidence. Anyways, I'm pretty sure AIG has some inexpensive (under $1) pamphlets you can download. Their books are well worth reading. Any questions a student has about their faith while reading a secular biology book aren't going to be answered by a two-sided pamphlet, that's for sure. I would get a couple good books from them and let her read them. Don't they have their Answers dvd as a free download this week? Hey, it's still available!! Try this:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/Downloads/download-offer-new-answers-dvd-3.aspx?utm_source=AiGSuperSpecials&utm_medium=email&utm_content=FreeDownload&utm_campaign=SS01272011

Thanks, Elizabeth! They have a LOT of resources! I also like their book called Evolution Exposed. I only saw it for the first time tonight, but it looks like you can use this book with 4 popular secular biology texts and compare/contrast evolution with Creationism. It's just much longer than I was hoping to find. I'll check out your suggestions.

So what are you trying to find? Proof in a few paragraphs that evolution could not possibly be the origin of the species Man?

Well, this is turning out to be bigger than I thought it was. I wanted a simple point/counter-point comparison between Creationism and evolution, but this looks like a tall order now.

I was just trying to find a quick reference tool to use in high school biology.

BTW, I grew up in public schools almost all the way, and I think the key is to have read about the issues AHEAD of time. That way you recognize them, know there are other viewpoints, and can go back to your books to refresh your memory and dig deeper. That's how I did it in school, and it worked out very well for me. Besides, you never know what kind of interests it will open up. I got very into creation science and related issues, and turned out my dh, whom of course I only met years later, also was! So you just never know what will interest people. It's a really fascinating thing, filled with controversy, just right for the argumentative mind. :)

I just couldn't get used to any secular text I looked at. I am leaning toward using Science Shepherd, but I thought I would try to find a simple resource with point/ counter-point organization that we could use with the different biological concepts we would cover. This way, I could base biology from a Christian worldview but teach the concepts of evolution. Then, my child would be able to discuss Creation and evolution in a secular college classroom.

I was just researching, and I found a book from Answers in Genesis called Evolution Exposed (I think). It comes the closest to what I'm looking for, but I would like a pamphlet...... not a book. A pamphlet with point/ counter-point organization would be ready to use a moment's notice and would make this kind of comparison/contrast "easy".

I doubt if what you want exists for one simple reason: evolution is not a "belief" in the science of biology. It is considered a motivating force and hence every aspect of modern biology is studied through the lens of evolution.

Evolution is not something that is discussed for a day or two in a biology class. So having a few buzz words from a pamphlet will not prepare a student for college level work in biology.

The National Academy of Sciences published a small and simple book to explain how science works and outline the evidence in support of evolution to skeptical minds. You can download a PDF pamphlet which distills the content of the book here. (You need to click the "Download Free PDF button under the order online information.)

Referring to the one page chart linked earlier: micro-evolution is observable. Agreeing with others that the chart is erroneous.

Another note: belief in God and acceptance of evolution is not incompatible. Consider the writing of Francis Collins (current NIH director) or Lindon Eaves (Anglican priest and geneticist).

Edited by Jane in NC

I doubt if what you want exists for one simple reason: evolution is not a "belief" in the science of biology. It is considered a motivating force and hence every aspect of modern biology is studied through the lens of evolution.

Evolution is not something that is discussed for a day or two in a biology class. So having a few buzz words from a pamphlet will not prepare a student for college level work in biology.

The National Academy of Sciences published a small and simple book to explain how science works and outline the evidence in support of evolution to skeptical minds. You can download a PDF pamphlet which distills the content of the book here. (You need to click the "Download Free PDF button under the order online information.)

Referring to the one page chart linked earlier: micro-evolution is observable. Agreeing with others that the chart is erroneous.

Another note: belief in God and acceptance of evolution is not incompatible. Consider the writing of Francis Collins (current NIH director) or Lindon Eaves (Anglican priest and geneticist).

Thank you so much for this link.

This link has a bit of a timeline http://freeagencyrules.blogspot.com/2007/07/brief-history-of-universe_18.html

This link gives a good outline for how you might develop your own point by point table (since there don't seem to be any out there.) It is clearly biased. I only include it for the 16 points that I think you may be able to use to develop your own table.

http://michael.oards.net/CreationVsEvolution.htm

Jane, thank you for sharing this.

This link has a bit of a timeline http://freeagencyrules.blogspot.com/2007/07/brief-history-of-universe_18.html

This link gives a good outline for how you might develop your own point by point table (since there don't seem to be any out there.) It is clearly biased. I only include it for the 16 points that I think you may be able to use to develop your own table.

http://michael.oards.net/CreationVsEvolution.htm

I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

I hope you find what you seek, but I would be surprised if a short list could accurately explain all the viewpoints. Often only two views are provided. However, that will probably only confuse your child more when he finds out that there are many other views. Creation and evolution are not mutually exclusive, since many people believe in creation and evolution.

Answers in Genesis materials might be helpful in defining the terms and understanding why some feel those two are mutually exclusive (especially due to death beginning at the fall of man), but I'd personally want to prepare my student with all the different terms and their connotations (big bang vs. evolution, macro vs. microevolution, etc.).

Julie

:iagree: