Menu

S/O Alternate Prom Ideas!

We planned a prom (dinner at a restaurant and ballroom dancing after) for our homeschooled juniors and seniors. No dates. We had photographer, decorations, etc. It was very nice.

Alternative would be a formal event of some sort, like mentioned in another thread, i.e., theatrical event and a formal dinner at an upscale restaurant, formal attire, and pictures in a nice setting.

Sylvia

Sylvia,

Did everything go well as far as what the gals could wear? I have heard horror stories about that..... we would allow strapless, but others would not.... I don't want WW3 over a prom! And I trust my dd's choice of gowns and wouldn't want her to be forced to get something she didn't like. That would ruin it!

We invited all the local homeschooled juniors and seniors and in the invite we were very clear about appropriate and acceptable attire -- hem length, no strapless, rules on how much exposed back, etc. There was some talk among some of the girls (we heard) about dress length, but we reiterated our rules in one of our last communications to the group. We did say we would provide coverups for those who didn't follow the rules. In the end, almost all adhered to the rules and a few pushed the envelope just a bit on dress length (still passed but barely in some of the mom's opinions).

So you could set your own rules. The problem is the dress choices that are out there. A number of the girls had to wear the little boleros (I think that's what they are called, don't quite remember the correct name) over their dresses.

Sylvia