Menu

Artistic Pursuits Art Appreciation Question

I would add A. Mona Lisa if you'd like your student to read about art history in chronological order. It's an easy read and very interesting, and you might take a look at The Annotated Arch if your student has interest in architecture. And if you *really* want to go deep into art appreciation/art history, try The Story of Art, by E.H. Gombrich

I would add A. Mona Lisa if you'd like your student to read about art history in chronological order. It's an easy read and very interesting, and you might take a look at The Annotated Arch if your student has interest in architecture. And if you *really* want to go deep into art appreciation/art history, try The Story of Art, by E.H. Gombrich

I second this advice. Have them go through The Annotated Mona Lisa at the very least to give them a better sense of Art History chronology than what is offered in Artist Pursuits. The other two suggested books are great for a more detailed study.

Just an FYI- If you desire to use Gombrich's The Story of Art as an in depth Art History study... and I don't know if they still sell it or not but... Oak Meadow used to sell an excellent companion book entitled: The Study of Art Syllabus.

If you want to offer entertaining Art History resources, then I would suggest you look at one or both of the following:

Sister Wendy Beckett

The Story of Painting

The Teaching Company, Professor Richard Brettell

Museum Masterpieces: The Metropolitan Museum of Art (DVD)

Fwiw- I'm no Art History expert but my oldest dd, who is graduating in May with a Poli-Sci degree, almost minored in Art History. All of the above mentioned resources were and still are her favorites.

EDITED TO ADD: Does anyone know if Sr. Wendy's video series is available on DVD? We have the videos and love them but would like to have it in DVD format.

Edited by Anna