Menu

Algebra 1......do you let your student use a calculator?

Guest Dulcimeramy

I do allow calculator use for Algebra I. I would not have let my child advance from arithmetic to Algebra if he were not rock-solid in his arithmetic, so I know I am not providing a calculator to a kid who can't even multiply.

Also, we do all lessons and practice problems on the whiteboard, so I know that he can work it out without a calculator and understand what he's doing. He only uses the calculator for his problem set (Saxon).

I do not allow a calculator in algebra 1.

The problems are typically such that the arithmetic is not really ugly, and the continued arithmetic practice is necessary (my college students make horrible arithmetic mistakes in their physics class and often are completely calculator dependent-the only way to avoid that is keeping the skills fresh and automatic.)

I will allow a calculator for some topics in algebra 2, when they have to compute complicated logarithms and exponentials, and for trigonometry functions of weird angles.

I require my students to 'have' a calculator--but the majority of the time they will not need it in class (but they will use it occasionally--especially in the later chapters).

I do not teach problem solving by 'keystroke'.

If a calculator is needed/suggested (and our text labels those problems) then the students are required to write down every step--using the calculator for ONE step at a time. I do not allow them to write down the problem, use a calculator then write just the answer.... no work no credit.

Once my students know how to do the math operations, I want them to put their mental energies into learning and applying the new concepts, rather than crunching numbers. So, I do allow the use of a calculator in Algebra and above. However, I continually remind them (and this includes my Physics students at co-op) that they should have an idea of what the answer is going to be before they start plugging in numbers. They ought to be doing some rough estimating and calculating. So, for instance, if their estimated answer is 75, and their calculator gives them 68, they're probably okay. But if the calculator says 6.8 or 680 or 34, they've probably done something wrong. They often find that they can actually do the problem more quickly without the calculator.

Yes, she's doing square roots now and exponents....I just don't see the purpose of spending so much time on them when, although she understands how to find the answers herself, I would use a calculator in everyday life too. She hasn't used one yet, so I know she has the skill to solve them on her own.

Yes, she's doing square roots now and exponents....I just don't see the purpose of spending so much time on them when, although she understands how to find the answers herself, I would use a calculator in everyday life too.

One major reason to do, for example, problems with exponents without a calculator is that the intent is often to practice the laws of exponents, and re-writing the problem using those laws will lead to easy answers that can be obtained without a calculator.

To give a simple example: if the problem asks for 4 ^(3/2), the intent is, of course, to understand that that means (srqrt(4))^3=2^3=8. Obtaining the same result with a calculator completely misses the point and teaches the student nothing- and, as soon as the problem contains a^(3/2), only symbolic substitutions are possible and only a knowledge of the laws of exponents will help.

Often, problems in algebra 1 which are illustrated using numbers practice techniques which will become very important if you have just symbols to manipulate. There, the calculator will be completely useless.

Many college calculus courses will not allow students to use calculators. I do not allow calculators in my physics classes either.

Getting a numerical answer to a specific problem may be possible and faster using a calculator - but at the same time, you may completely miss the learning objective if you do it that way. (I am not saying this is the case for every problem, but there are certainly many where this is the case)

One major reason to do, for example, problems with exponents without a calculator is that the intent is often to practice the laws of exponents, and re-writing the problem using those laws will lead to easy answers that can be obtained without a calculator.

To give a simple example: if the problem asks for 4 ^(3/2), the intent is, of course, to understand that that means (srqrt(4))^3=2^3=8. Obtaining the same result with a calculator completely misses the point and teaches the student nothing- and, as soon as the problem contains a^(3/2), only symbolic substitutions are possible and only a knowledge of the laws of exponents will help.

Often, problems in algebra 1 which are illustrated using numbers practice techniques which will become very important if you have just symbols to manipulate. There, the calculator will be completely useless.

Many college calculus courses will not allow students to use calculators. I do not allow calculators in my physics classes either.

Getting a numerical answer to a specific problem may be possible and faster using a calculator - but at the same time, you may completely miss the learning objective if you do it that way. (I am not saying this is the case for every problem, but there are certainly many where this is the case)

Thank you for posting this. It gives me a better reason to explain to ds than "because your mother who grew up in the Dark Ages wasn't allowed to use one, so you can't," Or "because it builds character.":tongue_smilie:

I allow my son to come get my calculator to check his work after he has done the work long hand. It makes it faster for him to find his errors, but he is first doing the work himself. With complicated formulas, it is easy to make a simple computational error while concentrating so intently solving the steps. It's very demoralizing to hand in the work and see check mark after check mark even if the formula was set up correctly but the compuation had a simple error. Checking his work long hand would take just about as much time as just doing the lesson all over again. So, once completed, he is then free to ask for the calculator and at least go through the arithmetic. If he has the formula set up incorrectly, he won't get the right answer anyway. I will then see that he didn't understand the lesson. If he has everything set up properly and demonstrates a fundamental understanding of the concept but was misplacing a decimal point or something, he's got a good chance of catching that and correcting that if he gets to double check with the calculator.

Faith

I have let my 12 yo use a calculator to calculate irrational square roots because they text she chose doesn't teach her and she is not a math lover (at least not yet--my eldest wasn't, either, at that age). My eldest, however, learned to do that without a calculator from the 1965 text she uses and still prefers to do it that way.

When my eldest transferred to ps in the middle of Alg 2, the honours math teacher would teach certain things on the calculator because it was required, but the dc weren't allowed to use the calculator most of the time and never on exams.

Edited by Karin

I require my students to 'have' a calculator--but the majority of the time they will not need it in class (but they will use it occasionally--especially in the later chapters).

I do not teach problem solving by 'keystroke'.

If a calculator is needed/suggested (and our text labels those problems) then the students are required to write down every step--using the calculator for ONE step at a time. I do not allow them to write down the problem, use a calculator then write just the answer.... no work no credit.

I'm so glad you posted this, Jann! We are using BCM, and I make my son do the same thing when a calculator is labeled on the problem. He thought I was on the only one who would be so detailed. :001_smile:

I'm so glad you posted this, Jann! We are using BCM, and I make my son do the same thing when a calculator is labeled on the problem. He thought I was on the only one who would be so detailed. :001_smile:

Me too! This is the approach I'm going to take as we move forward. Thank you for a great idea!!

I let my dd with a slower processing speed and lower working memory uses a calculator, not all the time but frequently enough. In her earlier years, she was the type who would get all the facts right in her work but "flunk" speed drills because of the time factor. In our case, I think it's a necessary compromise for the sake of easing frustration and giving her the mental space to learn higher concepts, as well as making sure other work gets done. I realize this could have negative consequences later, but she'll just have to deal with it when the time comes...if it does.:001_smile:

3 of mine, not usually. Some problems, yes. Most, no. My dd w/lds, yes for most problems. No for problems that are trying to teach a concept that I feel needs it worked through the old brain. She spent 9 years trying to learn those basic facts. They are not going to stick well. It takes her too long to figure them out. She can handle the concepts in algebra just fine. It is the basic math that messes her up. A calculator brings her right up to speed.:001_smile: