Menu

Homemade white boards - magnetic?

Satori

I don't want to hijack the other thread, but some of you suggested I make my own whiteboard using bathroom board material. I've been thinking of getting a 4x6 whiteboard that is magnetic, porcelain, and total erase, but that always adds a few hundred bucks bringing it to $400-500. We have tons of 2x3 quality boards, so I'm used to these features now.

Does anyone have a magnetic homemade dry erase board? I just tested a few of our bathrooms, and they are not magnetic. They also didn't erase as cleanly as our regular dry erase boards. I'm willing to go homemade, but it would need to be magnetic. Also, I'd want to hire this out, how much time and effort would this be worth to someone?

Anyone want to share their photos (magnetic or not) of their homemade white board creation?

I have used the tile board from the hardware stores. it is cheap less than $15 for a 4x8 sheet that can be cut to what ever size you need. I have them in 4 long sections. I had other boards that were smaller so liked the bigger boards.

They are not magnetic though. I never needed a magnetic white board though.

How much longer will you need magnetic boards?

no pictures, they live beside the washing machine when not in use.

they do sell Magnetic primer AND White board paint now days too.

they do sell Magnetic primer AND White board paint now days too.

That is what I was going to mention. I have commissioned DH to make me something larger. I just don't need it bad enough to pay hundreds of dollars. So we'll see how it goes. He'll probably get around to it this summer...:lol:

But like I said, I don't NEED it, just WANT it, so I make due with all of the smaller ones that I have.

We have used the chalkboard paint in various places around the house and it is awesome. :001_smile:

I've used magnetic paint, but I can't see making it smooth and reliable enough for an important white board.

We use our magnetic boards all the time, so unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of an inexpensive, homemade board.

I don't want to hijack the other thread, but some of you suggested I make my own whiteboard using bathroom board material. I've been thinking of getting a 4x6 whiteboard that is magnetic, porcelain, and total erase, but that always adds a few hundred bucks bringing it to $400-500. We have tons of 2x3 quality boards, so I'm used to these features now.

Does anyone have a magnetic homemade dry erase board? I just tested a few of our bathrooms, and they are not magnetic. They also didn't erase as cleanly as our regular dry erase boards. I'm willing to go homemade, but it would need to be magnetic. Also, I'd want to hire this out, how much time and effort would this be worth to someone?

Anyone want to share their photos (magnetic or not) of their homemade white board creation?

Where are you looking for one. I got a 3x4 ft magnetic porcelain steel magnetic white board for $128. The 4x6 ft one is $288.99 with free shipping. This is the one I got. It's great. I love it. It's heavy duty (there is a slight ghosting, but only if I leave things up a really long time and a simple alcohol based cleaner wipe (I buy the expo ones) takes any stray marks right off) It was easy to hang and it has free shipping.

Thank you so much Kel! I wasn't looking in the right places. That has a regular price of what I was expecting, but the price they offer for just $288.99 with free shipping is unbelievable! I'm so getting that. I can see paying that price and will start saving up for it. Thanks soooo much again!

We're not 2nd grade yet, although I suppose we do a lot of subjects in the 2-3 grade range. I love using magnets on whiteboards for some reason. We use magnetic clips and magnets to put stuff up. I have magnetic dry erase markers that just stick to the board. A lot of our manipulatives are magnetic, like our fraction set, calendar set, etc... We even put up our Greek gods/goddesses as magnetic flashcards to show the relationships.

I wanted a big board very soon as I plan to start sentence diagramming this fall. Heck, we just use our white board all the time, I can't wait to get a huge one.

Thank you so much Kel! I wasn't looking in the right places. That has a regular price of what I was expecting, but the price they offer for just $288.99 with free shipping is unbelievable! I'm so getting that. I can see paying that price and will start saving up for it. Thanks soooo much again!

Glad I could help. I absolutely love mine. I don't use magnets as much with my older son, but definitely prefer having that ability when I want it. You can always use a magnetic whiteboard for non-magnetic purposes, but not vice versa, so it's a huge perk to me to have that capability.