Menu

Purchasing MFW

I am curious about how the MFW high school users made their purchase. Did you purchase the set new from the company, or do you come out cheaper to purchase things individually and used?

Thanks for any suggestions. I have had a part-time job that has been our money for school and other extras. It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to work at it much this coming year. I'm just nervous about the money being there and want to save any way I can.

I went with the package from the company. That way I get the books that match the lesson plans, no hassle, peace of mind, great service.

I know with some of the stuff, I added it up and decided I'd have to shop for a long time to get it so much cheaper that it was worth it.

besides, I like supporting their company and their missions fund.

but that's my reasons why I did what I did.

I'm not big into buying used curriculum. So I save in other things. but that's just me.

-crystal

I got REALLY lucky and found my AHL set used and then just got the consumable components from MFW. Next year, I have a LOT of the books from the WHL program, so I calculated that it will be cheaper to buy the items I don't have individually from MFW. Whether you buy a complete package or shop around Amazon and other used boards for the books individually really depends on how much time you have to do this and adding up the totals, including shipping, to see which method is cheaper. If you work, sometimes you might not have the time to do this. If you have the time and can save yourself $50-75 total or more, then it's totally worth it.

It's nice to be able to support a small company like MFW by just getting everything from them, but whether your budget will support it or not is the biggest consideration ;) They definitely have the best prices on Apologia, though!

I usually like to buy from MFW, because I believe strongly in supporting curriculum that I use. But this year (AHL) I had *so* many of the items already from my older dd (timeline figures, expensive Pharaohs book, Iliad/Odyssey, etc.).

However, I priced it out and I was barely over the $68 that you save by getting the package.

Maybe if you have the Notgrass set and a few other things. But whenever I see used Notgrass, rarely do I see the complete set with 3 texts, quiz book, answer book.

And really I don't think AHL is very expensive for three credits for the year. Piano lessons cost a lot more than that, and don't even get me started on my older ds who was in hockey :) I had a bit of a hard time with French and Geometry, but ended up having the money somehow to get good programs there that were new/complete, along with MFW lesson plans. I do sell a lot of books every year, so although I buy a lot of books, I do get a lot back. And by the time you have a high schooler you usually have a bunch of things you realize you don't need :)

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Thanks for the thoughts. As I said before, I just don't think we are going to have as much money this year for next year's curricula purchases. We only have the two kids, but I'm already at over $1000 (new) for the two of them, and I'm not done.

I'm searching the used curricula sites for deals. Thankfully, I have made decisions on most of the curricula I want. When I see a bargain, I'm going to jump on it. : )

Thanks for the thoughts. As I said before, I just don't think we are going to have as much money this year for next year's curricula purchases. We only have the two kids, but I'm already at over $1000 (new) for the two of them, and I'm not done.

I'm searching the used curricula sites for deals. Thankfully, I have made decisions on most of the curricula I want. When I see a bargain, I'm going to jump on it. : )

I will tell you what I did: I had and took the time to do lots of research, and was able to find most the books for sale, either used or cheaper than the set price of buying them singly from MFW. I was thrilled with how much I saved! Then I realized, as Julie said, that you get a significant discount when you purchase the whole package from MFW. So, even though I thought I did so great, when everything was added up, and the discount taken off, I saved barely $30, and many of the books I got were used! The set is NEW from MFW! I'd spent hours researching to find the lowest prices. I enjoyed it, and it was fun getting a bunch of little packages from all over over a few days, but I decided that for this coming year I will just order the package deal from MFW. I don't have as much time this year, and I would not save enough to make it worth it! Plus, as the others said, it supports MFW and their homeschool efforts!

MFW sells all of their packages at a discount so if you piecemeal remember to check if you are saving more than the discount. The lesson plans alone are $90. I have found that I save more if I just buy the curriculum as a whole and sell the items that I already have.

I buy new. I don't mind if my kids wear clothes from Goodwill, but used curriculum? That's just gross! :lol:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Hhmm, trying to remember if I've EVER bought a complete package from MFW... we came into it later, so I already owned many of the books they use. Come to think of it, that's one reason I was initially drawn to them -- Same taste in books. ;)

I think I bought the 1st grade complete package. But there was another year or two that it seems like I went ahead and bought the package because the discounted package price was less than the total of individual items I needed. Then I gave away the duplicate items as gifts... well, some. I've kept some duplicates because I have 3 girls and rarely does anything in duplicate go to waste around here. Especially books. :D

Editing to clarify that yes, I buy new from MFW for the same reasons Crystal listed.

Edited by Donna A.

:001_smile: Really? So do you not check out Library books either?

I think she was just kidding. Besides, library books are another whole category, unique in their own right. :lol:

(I actually have a friend who never uses the library OR buys anything used, though, due to severe allergies in their household.)

I was kidding, but I am a little creeped out about library books. I can't afford my book reading habit, though, so the library is my best friend.
I figured you were kidding, at least to a certain extent... :001_smile: Understand where you're coming from! :tongue_smilie:

Guest momk2000

We will be using MFW next year, and I plan to buy the package directly from the company. I like that a percentage of my purchase will go toward Bible translation when I purchase from them. :001_smile:

I pieced mine together. I had a few of the books already and there were a couple of the Bible books I didn't want to use. I did take time to price all the books in a couple different spots (took about two nights, tops) and check to see what my library had (we have a teacher's card and I can usually get books for 12 weeks). It was two years ago, so maybe the difference saved was around $75. That may not seem like a big difference, but $75 in curriculum money WAS a big difference to me.

As much as I like to buy directly from the companies (and I did buy some stuff from MFW), I also have to spend my money wisely.

In some states, you have to pay tax so that's the trade-off with shipping. In Minnesota, we can get a tax exempt number.

Having it in my hands is the most fun. And having the future years to look at. And having folks there to answer all my many questions :)

The other thing about convention is that if you buy your set right away, then you can have your manual in hand and look for good book basket books and other fun go-alongs at the other booths or the used book sale, if they have one.

Pardon my stupidity, as this will be the first year we attend a hs curriculum fair....

Does one get a further discount when MFW is purchased at a fair?

I suppose this is a question for MFW.:tongue_smilie:

(thanks)

Actually, it is a good question to ask as some companies do provide extra discounts or what I call extra pressure to buy today and "save more". MFW isn't like that.

not much different to say than Julie and Dawn already did.. just feel like hearing the key clacking on my side of the screen.

no shipping charge.

sales tax laws vary too much to take into consideration.

(some places you have to buy sales tax on online orders too or file Use Tax)

MFW has year round same pricing and no pressure to get it now at convention and save 'more". Less pressure that way. :)

most of their conventions MFW will bring trailer loads of product to buy right away. There are some very conventions (like Hawaii, and Evansville, IN, and Farmington Hills, MI) were they only have space for display and take order, but still no shipping charge on complete packages as far as my understanding goes. If in doubt on whether the convention one is attending is just a display one, best thing to do is call them directly on that.

-crystal

The only problem with buying at the convention (ask me how I know) is that you need to be sure to buy when you are heading out the door or have someone else to help you because if you buy a whole set it is in a BIG BOX! I'll never forget trying to get back to my hotel in Cincinnati with the MFW box balanced on top of my cart because there was too much stuff to fit in the cart itself. I made it but it wasn't pretty. . . . last year I was smarter and made sure my teens were with me when I headed to the MFW booth. (I like saving on shipping!).

The only problem with buying at the convention (ask me how I know) is that you need to be sure to buy when you are heading out the door or have someone else to help you because if you buy a whole set it is in a BIG BOX! I'll never forget trying to get back to my hotel in Cincinnati with the MFW box balanced on top of my cart because there was too much stuff to fit in the cart itself. I made it but it wasn't pretty. . . . last year I was smarter and made sure my teens were with me when I headed to the MFW booth. (I like saving on shipping!).
:001_smile: Good advice! And smart thinking! :001_smile:

My problem is that the closest conventions to me take well over an hour to get to. I either have to pay for gas or ferry costs to get there, plus the fees to get in. So it ends up being cheaper for me to just order it online! Too bad, I'd love to go to the conventions!

I am planning on using MFW AHL next year as well. This will be my first time using MFW. Well, actually it will be my DD using it!

I have purchased much of it used on this site, as well as homeschool classifieds. I found a few items new on amazon for less than MFW. I will buy some of it from MFW. I agree with supporting them, but the reality is we need to be wise in our spending and make our money stretch. When I buy something used from a fellow home schooler, I am helping her in her school budget as well. I have saved about $100.

Blessings,

needmoregrace

I know there have been times that I've asked for help getting to my car. :001_smile:

way way way way back in 2003, I ended up buying around 10-15 minutes after the convention hall opened. One of the Hazell sons walked with me to my car since it wasn't busy yet. :lol:

definitely want a cart of some kind, or a locker, or help. that's very true!

then one year, it was so much my cart was bending. One of the MFW staff people said very kindly, I think you forgot the top brackets. sure enough, he was right... unloaded my cart and fixed that and went on my way. :lol::lol:

fun memories!

-crystal

I am curious about how the MFW high school users made their purchase. Did you purchase the set new from the company, or do you come out cheaper to purchase things individually and used?

Thanks for any suggestions. I have had a part-time job that has been our money for school and other extras. It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to work at it much this coming year. I'm just nervous about the money being there and want to save any way I can.

mom31257,

I just sent you a pm.

~needmoregrace

It is MUCH cheaper for me to purchase online. In OK the sales tax was like $80-$100 for our order. (We ordered a LOT as I have 9 kiddos.) Online I only had to pay $15 shipping. MFW does $15 shipping no matter how much you order, so it pays for me to order online.

That's very good to know, thanks! I didn't know what their shipping policy was. Maybe I'll just buy a guide at convention if I'm in a rush to get it. I still have to see if I have too many of the books to make getting a package worth it or not.

We too purchased AHL directly from MFW. I like having everything along with the lesson plans all ready to go. I am amazed at just independant my dd is utilizing MFW along w/ their lesson plans for science.

At the end of the year I will sell it and put any money I get back into buying next year's curriculum.