Menu

College living in house, anyone? aka Not leaving for college

My son is a live-at-home sophomore at Patrick Henry College. It's less than a 10 minute commute from our house. He's very happy with the arrangement.

We have "given" him a car, and he does some chores around the house. He eats dinner with us when he's around and participates in our family life. We all go to the same church, though he goes very early because he has to help with the audio-visual work. He brings his girlfriend (a high schooler who lives about 30 minutes away) over most Sundays after church.

There's a chance he may go and live in the dorms next year (the men's dorms were full this year, so he couldn't live there even if he'd wanted to). If he does, I think we'll still be seeing him around the house whenever he wants to do his laundry (every day) or wants some home cooking.

Edited by Rebecca VA

My freshman daughter is living at home. This is SO much better than having her in the dorms, because of her food allergies and sleep needs. Also, she's just more comfortable having a place where she can go to get away from it all. Although, the truth is, she's mostly NOT home. She's about as involved in college life as any student could possibly be (probably a bit more than she should, to be honest). Living at home certainly didn't stop her from participating. (And her grades are fine too, which I have heard is sometimes a concern.)

About the only time I see her is when she wants help with her homework.

The college is about 20 minutes away by bike, 10 by car, so it's pretty easy for her to get there when the weather is good. With ice, she now needs a ride (one of these days, she will get her license!) but it's not a big deal as we're usually headed that way anyway.

The college has a number of lounges where she can hang out, in addition to the library. And they gave her a locker, so she can store most of her junk.

She went to a college sponsored all night party this weekend and was even more firmly convinced that she doesn't want to live in the dorms. Anyway, most of her friends don't live in the dorms because she's mostly in sophomore/junior classes.

And there is a huge financial savings.

My kids have lived at home for the first 2 years of college. We all prefer it that way. My girls went to school 45 minutes away for their last 2 years, and were home most weekends...most semesters they were home 3 or 4 days of the week. They wanted to remain part of the integral day to day with their siblings and their family. the kids are very close and did not like being apart.

My dd who is married moved within 10 minutes of dd #2's school...so now dd 2 spends much time with her sister and weekends at home.

We genuinely like eachother and enjoy each others company. We have always worked, played and studied together...and that hasn't changed when the child went to college. That does not mean that they aren't independent adults...they are. They have rich individual interests, but when all is said and done...we like to bring it home and share with eachother...

Faithe

My oldest has one more year of college--she will be home until she can graduate and get a job that can support her. Since she is living at home we can afford to pay her tuition and books--so she will have ZERO debt!

Our middle dd is still 'officially' a high school senior. She has been doing dual enrollment and will have 27 credit hours of college by May of this year. Our out of pocket cost (mostly texts) is under $1000... she will most likely stay home one more year (she has some health issues that are just not stable enough to send her away yet)... by staying home one more year it will save us over $16,000! and the total for her first 2 (credit wise) years of college will be under $10,000-- and she will have ZERO debt! We do have to pay out of district tuition at the CC--but even that is way less than the state university she will transfer to (and the quality of our CC is very good!).

Personally I wish that middle dd could go away next fall-- we are both ready for her to be 'out of the house'-- but we will make due.

It has been a neat challenge getting to know (and treat) oldest dd as an adult. She respects the house rules and helps when she can-- not as much as I would like--but she has a VERY full schedule... she is also starting to take an interest in her baby sister (who just turned 9)...

I think you have to be careful. I have heard of many cases where this worked out well but the only people I personally know who have tried it (friends of my sons) left college after one semester, if they even managed to stay that long. In some cases, it was just too much like more high school for them to see the point, or they were still too involved with their now-graduated-and-working high school friends and played with them evenings instead of studying, or they had too many home duties to be able to go to school fulltime. Mostly it was a combination of all three of those. As bad as dorms can be, at least they contain people whose play/work schedule matches your own so you don't have to choose between giving up your friends and skimping on your studies. They also are full of people who are supposed to be putting in massive amounts of time with their books, which hopefully will encourage you to find the self-discipline to do the same. College requires tons of self-discipline. If you have the self-discipline to stay away from the drinking, etc., but not the self-discipline to keep yourself studying in an environment where most people have more free time than you do, then you might be better off in the dorms. Just something to think about ...

-Nan

I lived at home for my 5 years of college back in Spain. That is what you did unless your area college did not offer the studies you wanted to pursue or your lived too far away from your area college.

In my case I really envied the students that lived on/near campus. I lived over an hour away and the daily conmute was not fun. It was nice not to worry about laundy and dinner and such, and of course I loved my family but I didn't feel involved in college life and I missed out on all of that. I definitely would have liked to have had the opportunity to live among fellow students at least for a couple of years.

My kids have lived at home for the first 2 years of college. We all prefer it that way. My girls went to school 45 minutes away for their last 2 years, and were home most weekends...most semesters they were home 3 or 4 days of the week. They wanted to remain part of the integral day to day with their siblings and their family. the kids are very close and did not like being apart.

My dd who is married moved within 10 minutes of dd #2's school...so now dd 2 spends much time with her sister and weekends at home.

We genuinely like eachother and enjoy each others company. We have always worked, played and studied together...and that hasn't changed when the child went to college. That does not mean that they aren't independent adults...they are. They have rich individual interests, but when all is said and done...we like to bring it home and share with eachother...

Faithe

This sounds very much like our family. My sons are both disappointed that BSA takes up so many weekends (they do Love BSA) b/c they want to coach their little brothers basket ball team. I'm hoping for continued family unity throughout college years.

My oldest has one more year of college--she will be home until she can graduate and get a job that can support her. Since she is living at home we can afford to pay her tuition and books--so she will have ZERO debt! That is our hope, too. NO DEBT!

Our middle dd is still 'officially' a high school senior. She has been doing dual enrollment and will have 27 credit hours of college by May of this year. Our out of pocket cost (mostly texts) is under $1000... she will most likely stay home one more year (she has some health issues that are just not stable enough to send her away yet)... by staying home one more year it will save us over $16,000! and the total for her first 2 (credit wise) years of college will be under $10,000-- and she will have ZERO debt! We do have to pay out of district tuition at the CC--but even that is way less than the state university she will transfer to (and the quality of our CC is very good!). We'll be working on CC credits, too, so I am hoping they can have an AA and high school graduation at the same time. We'll have to pay for books, but I suspect grandparents might help with that :)

Personally I wish that middle dd could go away next fall-- we are both ready for her to be 'out of the house'-- but we will make due. :lol: I may feel that way about son #2..opposite personalities and all :)

It has been a neat challenge getting to know (and treat) oldest dd as an adult. She respects the house rules and helps when she can-- not as much as I would like--but she has a VERY full schedule... she is also starting to take an interest in her baby sister (who just turned 9)...

I'm looking forward to it, too (biting nails!).

I think one of the biggest factors to consider is: how long is the commute, and how frequent? If the student has to commute more than 1 hour each way, 2x a day, 4 or 5 days a week, that is a LOT of wasted time spent driving--unless, or course, the student doesn't have to drive and can use the commuting time to study.

I lived on-campus, off-campus (a 3-minute bike ride), and off-campus a 25- minute car drive. I was an older (25) student, single, self-supporting, and living in tiny studio apartments. The best options for me were living on campus (but the mandatory meal plan was a waste and blew my budget) and near campus. The worst option was the 25-minute car ride, especially driving in for a 9 am to 11 am class, and then hanging around campus for a 4pm class. Yes, I could do my work in the library (and I did) but I would have to plan my meals in advance, pack a cooler from home, etc. But the biggest con was feeling somewhat disenfranchised from what was happening on campus.

Many times I disagree with Nan ^ but in this case I am going to strongly reiterate what she says, and echo Mabalen's sentiments ^, too. There is something about being surrounded by like-minded students who are (presumably) all involved in their studies and of a similar mindset. The intellectual interaction and discussion that comes from hanging around the student lounge, late night talks, etc. can be a valuable intangible. Of course, a "party crowd" is a huge detriment.

My daughter, like Jan's, is a senior in high school but by May will have 31 credits and sophomore status. She is "over" community college and is looking forward to attending a school with higher caliber students. The 2 schools she has applied to are within a 50 minute drive of our home (one is actually in our town but so far away that it takes just under an hour to get there) that we have agreed to pay for D's on-campus housing next fall. We know we will be seeing her on weekends--she likes her spacious bedroom, quiet study alcove, and private bath upstairs. But because D has already filled 1/4 of her undergrad requirements we feel we can splurge on her on-campus housing. Also, D intends to take a couple of college classes every summer to further shorten her graduation time.

In the final analysis, then, we will be paying for only 2.5 years of on-campus housing. Not such a bad deal.

Edited by distancia

Wanted to chime in and say that both my dh and I lived at home our first couple years of college. DH moved to an apartment with a friend the next year because his commute was 40 minutes, (mine was just 20), and I moved to an apartment with a friend after 2 years. When we got engaged we both moved back to our parent's houses to save money. I loved being able to live at home those years. It kept expenses down and helped develop my relationship with my parents at a different level. I respected their "curfew" (I could come and go as I pleased but they wanted to know when to expect me - safety more than anything- days before cell phones) and I pulled my share of the work for keeping up housework. I would help clean the kitchen, kept my room and bathroom clean, and did my own laundry. I always had a quiet place to study and comfortable bed to sleep in, and I was spared a lot of peer pressure and non-sense. When I did move out, I had money in the bank and a better sense of maturity. I hope my kids will do the same.

Just curious. We live in an area where there are a ton of colleges. If ds doesn't head off to West Point, our plans for him and the others are to live at home and go to college. That allows for Bachelor studies, even law school. Anybody else do this? How was it?

I have fairly strong opinions about sending 18 year olds away to college. As in, I'm against it. ;) My ds will live at home for at least a couple of years. I rarely see it turn out well when kids straight out of high school are given 'freedom' while they are being financially supported by someone else.

Wanted to chime in and say that both my dh and I lived at home our first couple years of college. DH moved to an apartment with a friend the next year because his commute was 40 minutes, (mine was just 20), and I moved to an apartment with a friend after 2 years. When we got engaged we both moved back to our parent's houses to save money. I loved being able to live at home those years. It kept expenses down and helped develop my relationship with my parents at a different level. I respected their "curfew" (I could come and go as I pleased but they wanted to know when to expect me - safety more than anything- days before cell phones) and I pulled my share of the work for keeping up housework. I would help clean the kitchen, kept my room and bathroom clean, and did my own laundry. I always had a quiet place to study and comfortable bed to sleep in, and I was spared a lot of peer pressure and non-sense. When I did move out, I had money in the bank and a better sense of maturity. I hope my kids will do the same.

Yes. This.

I have fairly strong opinions about sending 18 year olds away to college. As in, I'm against it. ;) My ds will live at home for at least a couple of years. I rarely see it turn out well when kids straight out of high school are given 'freedom' while they are being financially supported by someone else.

:iagree:

Though for my neice there was no choice.

I'd have to disagree (somewhat) and say it really depends on the individual. My siblings and I all went away to college right after high school and did fine. We were gradually given more independence and responsibility throughout the high school years. All of my high school friends did fine going away to college also. The few people I knew that had problems at college had also had problems in high school with responsibility.

Just wanted to add, for those who don't know me well, that I totally approve of adult children living at home. I did it (after college), it was lovely, at least one of my children has done it, and I hope the others will, too. GRIN They can all live with us forever, if they want to, even when they have families. I also have two living away at the same college and that is turning out to be nice. I just know that there have been many family discussions about college while at home (because of all the sad examples we've experienced) and we have reluctantly (very reluctantly) decided that it has its drawbacks. Hopefully not insurmountable ones, but ones that perhaps it would be as well to be aware of.

-Nan

I'd have to disagree (somewhat) and say it really depends on the individual.

:iagree:

I did well and absolutely loved it. My oldest is doing well and absolutely loving it. My middle and youngest will have their chances too, but are already looking forward to it.

I've known people that went away and did poorly. I know people that stayed home and did poorly.

I think it REALLY depends on the individual and how independent they naturally are as well as how much they "go along with the peer pressure" crowd. People are wired differently and there's absolutely nothing wrong with respecting those differences and choosing accordingly. What's "wrong" IMO is keeping the independent youngun home and shooing the depended youngun away for no real reason. There's nothing at all wrong with either of the groups "choosing" one path or the other.

Ds is a college junior, living at home. The four year college is 15 minutes away. He likes the food and laundry services at home, LOL. It was quite a wild ride for all of us that freshman year, we all went through his adjustments together. But that is how our family is, there for each other. I remember taking him a sandwich and coffee in the middle of the night, I needed to do something if he was going to stay up all night doing work! Financial considerations were there too, it is just so much cheaper going to a state school and not having a dorm/food bill at the college. We thought it would save enough to get him a car, but alas, I have to loan him mine and be stranded (or take and pick him up) because of the lovely economy. And, he has to have a full nights sleep. He can not survive on a few hours, no mercy. He came out of freshman year pretty whipped, he changed from a math/science to a liberal arts major. He doesn't think he could survive the low amount of sleep you get at a dorm and the many distractions.

I'd add that you need to check out the commute time carefully. My son lived at home last semester and commuted- just 30 min. no problem, right?

Well, after he started school he realized that if he got to school later than 6:30 a.m. he couldn't find a parking place close enough to class to get to class on time because the campus has a shortage of parking lots.

He ended up having to get up at 5:30 a.m. every morning in order to leave by 6 to get to school in time for his 9:00 classes. It really threw his plans off- and he ended up having to eat on campus more often. Not to mention made for really long days with lots of wasted time.

We're fortunate enough that he'll ride with my "adopted daughter" daily and if for some reason he can't there is either public transportation or he can ride his bike. We're less than 5 miles away! He's a cyclist, so 5 miles he could ride in his sleep!

Now, if one of them goes to law school, there will be about a 30min. drive and we'll consider that, then!

I think that for some kids being home is better and for some it isn't. For some, like my children, it simply wasn't or isn't an option. Why? Because we are still active duty military. When my oldest applied, we were in Europe and colleges were in the states. With this one, she had to apply to all her colleges by Jan. 15th and we won't know until mid February at the earliest where we will be living next fall. Obviously we couldn't coordinate our unknown plans for her to live at home next year. But unless we lived very very close to the college she chose, I would not want her living at home. Why? Because the girl works so very hard even in high school that I think commuting would just increase the stress. Given that her blood pressure falls when she is overworked and that causes passing out, it isn't a conducive environment for commuting. But we won't have that option. We know where she has applied and there isn't an AF base by any one of the schools.

For me personally, my first year of living in a college dorm was one of the best experiences of my life. I can't imagine my kids not having the opportunity to have that same experience. I think it would be lovely to have them live at home for so many reasons, but wanting them to have that year outweighs the those other reasons. I feel like I became an adult during that time and got to know so many wonderful friends through late night chat sessions, practical joke pulling, and lingering over meals in the cafeteria. I also have some of the best memories which frequently come back to me and bring a smile to my face in my doddering years. Laura

For me personally, my first year of living in a college dorm was one of the best experiences of my life. I can't imagine my kids not having the opportunity to have that same experience. I think it would be lovely to have them live at home for so many reasons, but wanting them to have that year outweighs the those other reasons. I feel like I became an adult during that time and got to know so many wonderful friends through late night chat sessions, practical joke pulling, and lingering over meals in the cafeteria. I also have some of the best memories which frequently come back to me and bring a smile to my face in my doddering years. Laura

Unfortunately, many many kids find themselves in very compromising situations in college dorms that *I* wouldn't want to be in even at age 45.

I had to laugh at your description of yourself 'doddering'--I doubt that, but I do think things are getting progressively worse in college. I wouldn't want my son in a dorm for ANY reason. I

What a blessing :)

My son is a live-at-home sophomore at Patrick Henry College. It's less than a 10 minute commute from our house. He's very happy with the arrangement.

We have "given" him a car, and he does some chores around the house. He eats dinner with us when he's around and participates in our family life. We all go to the same church, though he goes very early because he has to help with the audio-visual work. He brings his girlfriend (a high schooler who lives about 30 minutes away) over most Sundays after church.

There's a chance he may go and live in the dorms next year (the men's dorms were full this year, so he couldn't live there even if he'd wanted to). If he does, I think we'll still be seeing him around the house whenever he wants to do his laundry (every day) or wants some home cooking.

While we're still waiting for scholarship info from a couple of schools to make a final decision, it seems likely that my oldest will attend a public university about 45 minutes away. They've already given him enough of a scholarship that we can afford to have him in the dorms for at least a couple of years. If he's accepted into the honors college, he'll get more $, maybe enough to be in the dorm the whole time.

Pros to dorms:

-The drive is 45 minutes in good weather at a low traffic time of day

-He could stand to become a little more independent

-He's pretty quiet and shy and probably wouldn't form any relationships if a commuter student

-He seems interested in it. A year ago he did not want to live in a dorm.

-No concern about bad influences. He's entirely peer-independent.

-He'd likely be in the honors dorm, a good place as far as I can tell.

Cons to dorms:

-Cost will be more, though how much more depends on if gas keeps going up.

-Farther drive to church.

-He's so quiet and shy that he still might not form any relationships and might be lonely.

-What if he needs me and I'm not there?

It's been helpful for me to read through this and solidify my thinking. I guess he'll probably be the primary decision maker, but he definitely looks to us for direction about important things.

Like a previous poster, I can't believe this time in our lives has come.

Debbie

DD is a paramedic student also enrolled in pre-med classes. She commutes.

Dd is PURE joy to have at home though we don't get to see enough of her because 99 times out of 100, she's either steeped in readings, studying, and homework, or doing field work on a 12 hour shift. She's very helpful and when she needs to study for a really difficult test, she goes two blocks down the street to grandma and grandpa's very quiet house, studies there for a few days, and cooks meals for my parents who are not yet retired. THEY LOVE THIS!

My boys are all very likely to have to live away from home due to the majors they will pursue and not having a uni within driving distance that has a good reputation in those departments. I am really going to miss them because having dd around has spoiled me to the fringe benefits of having an adult child living at home.

Faith

I left for college at 17, went to a school 2000 miles away, and lived my first year in the dorms. For me there were a few pros: both the distance and the separate living quarters allowed me to establish a better relationship with my parents and be my own person. I'm alike my parents too much and yet not enough like them at all for a good, solid, friendly relationship to be formed at home. I had to leave in order for them to see me as my own person, as an adult, and not as the 5lb baby girl born 7 weeks early who had to be treated with such care.

At the same time, I hated living in the dorms. I hated the communal/shared bathrooms. I hated the noise; it is practically impossible for me to study in a library (I get distracted by all the books I haven't read, lol) and the noise in the dorms made it difficult to focus, and my grades suffered. I hated being surrounded by all these people that I didn't know (and then once I knew them, didn't particularly like for the most part). My relationship with my parents got better, but my health and my relationship with my siblings suffered. I regret that my parents and I couldn't work something else that allowed me to go to live at home and go to school. I miss that time that I could have spent with my siblings.

Sending a kid to college is quite a ways off for me, but DH and I both want to be in a place that provides our dc with the opportunity to live at home if it is what would be best for them.

-He'd likely be in the honors dorm, a good place as far as I can tell.

Debbie

Wow, I didn't reallize such places existed!

I lived in dorms, and it seemed as though socializing and partying took priority over studying. :)

My husband commuted for his undergraduate degree and his opportunities for socializing didn't suffer for it, either.:)

My eldest is in his second year of commuting, and since keeping his scholarship depends on keeping a certain average, it probably doesn't matter where he lays his head at night, (noisy dorm, noisy siblings, so he spends most of his time at the library) but financially he's ahead by living at home.

My second eldest will be starting college this year also and is planning to commute. He's like your son, quiet and reserved and tends to be fairly independent, so I doubt it would matter where he lived, either.

My view of college (particularly in light of today's tuition costs !!!) is that it's a means to seriously prepare for the future, and the social aspects aren't as important. So I think that whatever living arrangements best serve that goal are preferable.

I lived at home for my 5 years of college back in Spain. That is what you did unless your area college did not offer the studies you wanted to pursue or your lived too far away from your area college.

This was the norm when I was going to university in Canada; if you lived locally you usually lived at home. All of the friends I made there did except for one who had a long commute, and me, because I was from an area of the coast that requires a ferry to get there and there was no extension campus then.

I think the other factor to consider is cost; it's far less expensive to live at home. We live within commuting distance to state schools (CC, colleges and a university) as well as several private colleges. Dd is bound and determined to leave home, but she is extremely frugal when it comes to her own money. We can't afford to help her much, but we could have her live at home and save a great deal. If she doesn't get the scholarships she thinks she will (she'll have to become a lot more motivated to get those), she'll probably end up living here.

That said, I personally would have studied less at home than I did in my basement suites/apartments (I had no desire to live in a dorm and am glad I didn't), due to fewer distractions and the fact that I coasted through high school. However, I probably would have done my studying at the library had I lived at home for university; I did a great deal of my work and studying there in between classes as it was.