What's with the ads?

#1 ChicoryChick

ChicoryChick

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

Just finished reading this thread about Strayer Upton Practical Arithmetics and am very interested in these books. It has been 2 years since this thread and I would very much like to hear more from those have used this curriculum.

Thanks

Edited by kayinpa, 29 January 2011 - 09:09 AM.

#2 ChicoryChick

ChicoryChick

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

oh, if you combined it with Singapore Math, I would like to hear about that also. :D

#3 1Togo

1Togo

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Dd completed the First Book as a precursor to Saxon 54. The "little red book," as dd calls it, in combination with memorizing the math facts through the 12's gave her a good foundation for concrete math. I bought the Second Book, and we use it as a supplement for word and practice problems along with other curriculum suggested on the boards.

#4 Susie in MS

Susie in MS

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2144 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

I'm eager to hear the responses you get. I have the 1st book and really like what I see. Right now we are just doing hands on stuff and word problems from Ray's.

#5 ChicoryChick

ChicoryChick

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

bump!

#6 Ray

Ray

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:17 AM

1900's era Arithmetic texts are plentiful on Google book's in electronic format.

Strayor Upton however is not available though I think the flavor of math education in this time period can be tasted from the free books there.

#7 ChicoryChick

ChicoryChick

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

I have looked at Ray's. In fact I was planning on using it this year and the more I planned and looked the less I liked it. I believe that the Strayor Upton's use of story and that it is geared to being more independent would work better but still would like info. :D

#8 SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2012 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

It can be used as a tool by a skillful math teacher who will teach the concepts. I was taught using it and the result was skill/drill, no comprehension of the concepts. I use it as a supplement occasionally.

#9 Poke Salad Annie

Poke Salad Annie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1477 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

I actually like the Strayer-Upton text. We started back with it today after taking a break for a bit. I love how it starts to explain fractions and division right off the bat. I like the word problems also---there's plenty to practice bar diagrams Singapore-style. Nice book, and cheap too!

#10 Susie in MS

Susie in MS

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2144 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

It can be used as a tool by a skillful math teacher who will teach the concepts. I was taught using it and the result was skill/drill, no comprehension of the concepts. I use it as a supplement occasionally.

I'm glad that wasn't everyone's experience, cuz I really look forward to using this one. I have no idea how anyone can do all of those word problems and have no comprehension of concepts. :confused:

#11 SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2012 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

I'm talking about place value concepts, and the meaning behind the algorithms. The word problems generally had some sort of key word in the younger grades... "less", "more", "shared". I remember the teacher having us put an A, S, D, or M by the problems to signal the operation, too, effectively removing any practice in reasoning from the lesson. I guess I had a combination of really bad teachers and this math series.

#12 Gwenny

Gwenny

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

I just picked up this book a few weeks ago to work through myself. My math skills are shockingly bad (I didn't even know my basic math facts) and I liked that there were only three books in the series and that it wasn't a workbook. I've learned SO MUCH and I've only just started! I love how they add columns and how you check all your work along the way. So much more effecient than my old way. I feel like your child would certainly be good with computations after completing this series. As for having an understanding of "why" algorithms work, I'm not so sure. I plan on using the techniques in strayer-upton and using MM along with it to help with the "why".

I'd love to hear from anyone who used the entire 3 book series with their kids and had success.

I bought Ray's last year and wasn't too impressed by how the material was presented. I need much more explanation to understand than it gave. The word problems in it are great and I use those all the time.

Gwen

#13 ChicoryChick

ChicoryChick

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

I am glad to hear it worked for you and is different than Ray's. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strayer-upton

What's with the ads?